Cruising on a ship about to go into dry dock...

Hi

My wife and I are thinking of booking the Oasis of The Seas in Sept ‘19 in the Med. We were looking at the 15th Sept sailing, but there doesn’t seem to be any sailings after that......does this mean she will be going into dry dock straight after that cruise?

If this is the case, would our experience be tarnished with prep work for the dry dock (ie; things being taken down, lots of workmen about etc etc)?

Has anyone gone on a cruise just before a dry dock? What were your experiences?

We've been on a ship just before dry dock, and while we did see some work start (stringing cables in the ceiling of the passenger corridors), it did not affect our cruise. If I had the choice of either going immediately before or immediately after, I'd take before, because sometimes they don't finish everything in dry dock and major work can still go on a week ot two after the dry dock.

The preparations for dry dock will start in the week’s proceeding the dry dock. On the final cruise, there is often visible work that may close facilities and areas (including the theater). Also, there are a small potential that the dry dock will start earlier or end later than planned. Be flexible if your cruise gets shortened or cancelled.

We sailed immediately following a dry dock and our embarkation date changed 3 times in the months and weeks leading up to our cruise.

I will never, EVER, go on a cruise immediately before dry dock again. Anything that is broken, will be broken. The most wear and tear will be visible then. And you might anticipate less venues or services being offered although they won't tell you that when they take your money. BTDT, left a poor impression with me.

We were on Majesty in January on cruise prior to dry dock. Only issues we encountered were with food in MDR. Worst food we have ever had on a cruise, hands down. This was for sea day lunch as well as dinner every evening. Was so wishing for a Specialty Restaurant. We ate at Johnny Rockets twice as food was good there. Windjammer food also left a lot to be desired. I had booked Chefs Table but read a post on CC which described a less than stellar dinner prior to dry dock thus I cancelled our reservation. $85 pp for bad food doesn't work for me.

Everything else appeared to be ok in the areas we visited.

Might want to check the thread on NCL about the current folks on the Sun prior to dry dock. We will be on the Mariner OTS 4/22 to 5/7, the last cruise before the Americanization dry dock, which was originally scheduled after Barcelona to Miami TA, but that cruise was cancelled. Will report back concerning this cruise, which starts with 6 sea days out of Dubai.

Might want to check the thread on NCL about the current folks on the Sun prior to dry dock. We will be on the Mariner OTS 4/22 to 5/7, the last cruise before the Americanization dry dock, which was originally scheduled after Barcelona to Miami TA, but that cruise was cancelled. Will report back concerning this cruise, which starts with 6 sea days out of Dubai.
We board her in Singapore in 12 days, pretty sure there will be work going on

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Thanks for everyone’s replies.

We’ve decided to not go on this cruise now......we wouldn’t want to have a tarnished experience of an Oasis class ship due to pre-drydock issues/compromises.

We never sailed on an Oasis class ship before so, if/when we do, we want to have the best possible experience when spending that amount of money (which we feel a pre-drydock cruise wouldn’t give us).

We are now eyeing up an 8 night Spanish/Portgugal cruise in the same month, on Brilliance of the Seas, instead ;)