T-Mobile Coverage

Hello! I've searched the forums (briefly ;))clear.png?emoji-wink-1685 but can't find a specific answer to my question... we are traveling on the Harmony of the Seas to Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel and I'm trying to make sense of the cell coverage options. We have T-Mobile One which has unlimited texting and data in these countries we are visiting. When I searched T-Mobiles site, it said for Oasis Class ships, there is no data, and sending a text is $0.50/text and receiving texts is deducted from your domestic texting plan allotment (which is unlimited). Does this mean I can leave my phone cellular service on and I won't get charged a billion dollars from my cell company because the ships satellite picked it up? Does anyone have specific experience with T-Mobile on a Royal Caribbean cruise? We do not want to pay for the on board service just to ensure we are 'reachable' to family on land in case of emergencies. Thanks in advance!

That is correct. As long as T-Mobile does not allow data, which your smart phone will do in the background if allowed, the only way you get any charges is if you send texts or make or receive any phone calls. Just realize that it is possible to get charged a minute when receiving a call even if you do not answer it.

I do not believe that is correct. I have T-Mobile and I always put my phone in airplane mode when the ship leaves port and I only use WIFI. I believe the only other option is to turn data roaming off, T-Mobile doesn't offer any data plans for on the ship but you will be charged based on the ships data plan and it will be roaming if you do not turn off data.

This is what I found on T-Mobile website.

Traveling on cruise ships and ferries

T-Mobile is doing our best to go where you go, wherever your travels take you. Cruise ship roaming is available while on selected cruise lines and ferries. We recommend that you turn off roaming while docked in a U.S. port, whether the ship is departing or arriving. Otherwise, your phone may pick up the ship's network and you'll incur roaming charges. Once you're out to sea, you can then turn on roaming and pay the respective usage for data, text, and voice.

Edited by micruiser2002

I'll weigh in also. Can't speak for T-Mobile, but assume it's like Verizon or ATT. Be sure to TURN OFF DATA ROAMING on your cell phone! That'll prevent your phone from using data. You can still pick up texts for free and $.50 to send. You should only be charged cell usage if you make a phone call or use Data (texting doesn't count as "data") without wifi. If you have a wifi package on the ship, activate "wifi calling" on your phone before you leave home (easy to do). Then if you get a wifi package on the ship you can put your phone in "airplane" mode, turn on "wifi," and connect to the wifi. Your phone should go into "wifi calling" mode. Where your phone shows the cell carrier, it should say something about T-mobile wifi. For example, ATT says "ATTwifi" and Verizon says "VZWwifi" that's how you know you're in wifi calling. You can now use your phone just as if you are at home.

If you are only going to use texting, then you just need to be absolutely sure you have DATA ROAMING off and don't make or accept any calls. Just use texting. Also texting a picture is more expensive.

I do not believe that is correct. I have T-Mobile and I always put my phone in airplane mode when the ship leaves port and I only use WIFI. I believe the only other option is to turn data roaming off, T-Mobile doesn't offer any data plans for on the ship but you will be charged based on the ships data plan and it will be roaming if you do not turn off data.

This is what I found on T-Mobile website.

Traveling on cruise ships and ferries

T-Mobile is doing our best to go where you go, wherever your travels take you. Cruise ship roaming is available while on selected cruise lines and ferries. We recommend that you turn off roaming while docked in a U.S. port, whether the ship is departing or arriving. Otherwise, your phone may pick up the ship's network and you'll incur roaming charges. Once you're out to sea, you can then turn on roaming and pay the respective usage for data, text, and voice.

What exactly do you believe was incorrect? I specifically said if T-Mobile does not allow data, then there would be no data charges. If that is not true, then yes you would need to turn data roaming off to prevent data charges. Everything else was absolutely correct. Whether it is calls, texts or data, you are only charged for actual usage, not just connecting to Cellular at Sea.

I use T-Mobile and this is the message I got in October while sailing away from Canada on the Serenade...

Free T-Mobile Msg: Welcome to Cruise Ship. Out of plan coverage. $0.50/text and $5.99/min talk. For info call us for free +1 505-998-3793

I put it in Airplane immediately. :-)

Edited by reynoldsrsj
Additional info.

I use T-Mobile and this is the message I got in October while sailing away from Canada on the Serenade...

I put it in Airplane immediately. :-)

Wow, $6 per minute for a voice call is more than double what AT&T charges.

I'll weigh in also. Can't speak for T-Mobile, but assume it's like Verizon or ATT. Be sure to TURN OFF DATA ROAMING on your cell phone! That'll prevent your phone from using data. You can still pick up texts for free and $.50 to send. You should only be charged cell usage if you make a phone call or use Data (texting doesn't count as "data") without wifi. If you have a wifi package on the ship, activate "wifi calling" on your phone before you leave home (easy to do). Then if you get a wifi package on the ship you can put your phone in "airplane" mode, turn on "wifi," and connect to the wifi. Your phone should go into "wifi calling" mode. Where your phone shows the cell carrier, it should say something about T-mobile wifi. For example, ATT says "ATTwifi" and Verizon says "VZWwifi" that's how you know you're in wifi calling. You can now use your phone just as if you are at home.

If you are only going to use texting, then you just need to be absolutely sure you have DATA ROAMING off and don't make or accept any calls. Just use texting. Also texting a picture is more expensive.

Verizon does not even support data on cruise ships anymore. We also have not seen VZWwifi as the carrier on our recent cruises, it has just been a number displayed where you usually see the carrier.

Thank you all for chiming in! I think I’ll just keep it on airplane mode until we are in port. Better safe than sorry, I guess... we aren’t interested in paying extra for WiFi onboard, traveling with two teenage boys, it’s a great opportunity for them to “unplug”... for all 4 of us to unplug, actually. Just wanted family members to be able to get in touch if necessary. Thanks again!

Thank you all for chiming in! I think I’ll just keep it on airplane mode until we are in port. Better safe than sorry, I guess... we aren’t interested in paying extra for WiFi onboard, traveling with two teenage boys, it’s a great opportunity for them to “unplug”... for all 4 of us to unplug, actually. Just wanted family members to be able to get in touch if necessary. Thanks again!

I too have T-Mobile and i am planning to do the same as you. Keep it in airplane mode while on board and use the awesome international data when in ports at Falmouth & Cozumel. Not sure if there is a local signal at Labadee.

For it to work in port, data roaming must be turned on, on each phone.

In your Profile on My T-Mobile on the web make sure that Block international roaming is turned off and Block charge international roaming is turned on. See the attached screen capture.

That combination of settings should get you access to free texting and data in all the supported countries without any risk of getting hit with any roaming charges.

2063794632_ScreenShot2018-03-28at8_02_18PM.thumb.png.750f792939f5fcffec4e7f5099fd2025.png

I have T-Mobile and while sailing I keep my phone in airplane mode. At ports I turn it back to normal mode. One thing to note for those of you that have not used T-Mobile outside the US is that the speed can be slow. Super nice to have free connectivity so I am not complaining - just be prepared.

I have T-Mobile and never turn on airplane mode at any point on any cruise. Never had any ridiculous charges -- I get a text that if I want to activate data on the ship I have to go through some convoluted process to approve it. I get wifi onboard anyway.

I have the international unlimited roaming plan so I get 2G internet at every port I've visited so far (lots of ports) and it's decent enough for email and uploading photos when at port. If I really need 3G I can upgrade for the day but I've only done that twice in 20 cruises.

Costa Maya has been horrible on Tmobile

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

One more thing. If you use iMessage, it actually goes through your data plan and not text messaging. So, if you are texting iPhone to iPhone, remember to send as a text. Also, once you get to port, you'll be able to use your data plan pretty easily. Especially in Mexico, the service is totally free and as fast as the US service.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 6 months later...
For it to work in port, data roaming must be turned on, on each phone.

In your Profile on My T-Mobile on the web make sure that Block international roaming is turned off and Block charge international roaming is turned on. See the attached screen capture.

That combination of settings should get you access to free texting and data in all the supported countries without any risk of getting hit with any roaming charges.

If we want to be able to send texts to others on board will this block that? I am okay with the .50 cent charge for the occasional sent text. I just don't want to be hit with other roaming charges.

If we want to be able to send texts to others on board will this block that? I am okay with the .50 cent charge for the occasional sent text. I just don't want to be hit with other roaming charges.

If you turn off cellular data, you won't get any data roaming charges. However, if someone makes a voice call to your phone, and you don't have your phone set to go to voicemail immediately, then can be charged $2.49 for that minute, even if you don't answer.

I spoke to a rep about using T-Mobile on our upcoming cruise, he suggested airplane mode on sea days, he said if you turn on phone then any voicemail including sales calls will be charged $5.99 per call. I’m mostly investigating best way to keep in touch with my kids back at home, seems like a text or two on sea days is what we will do, all ports are included in our plan so that’s good news.

I spoke to a rep about using T-Mobile on our upcoming cruise, he suggested airplane mode on sea days, he said if you turn on phone then any voicemail including sales calls will be charged $5.99 per call. I’m mostly investigating best way to keep in touch with my kids back at home, seems like a text or two on sea days is what we will do, all ports are included in our plan so that’s good news.

That's what I do. Verizon though, it's .50 cent's each text I send and .05 cents each one received from Michigan.

You can set your phone service to send all incoming calls to voicemail immediately, this way you won't be charged for incoming calls.

When you arrive in the foreign countries, take off airplane mode and you will get a popup notification from T-mobile explaining you get free text and date in 2G. I've never gone into my setting to change to 2G. I get 4 G or whatever and am never charged. You likely can get the 4G service from that countries provider from the ship without leaving, or go to the side facing the island. Or if you get off, no problem. Just don't forget to put it back on airplane mode once you pull away from the dock.

I travel extensively and cruise a lot and love T-mobile. Works like a charm. This free data and text service has nothing to do with whether or not you are using the ship's wifi.

They told me voicemails are charged $5.99, same as incoming calls.

My understanding is that is only if the calls actually ring your phone. There's a way to tell the system to make all calls go directly to voicemail, without ringing the phone. Perhaps it's different on T-Mobile, but I can do that on AT&T.