Dining Question

zoryana

When looking at a ships information... I came across Included Dinning. Does that mean everything in those restaurants are free of charge right?

And then we saw specialty dining. Which would be dining that has to be paid for separately?

Correct?

Sorry, might be a stupid question.

But When I open a menu to take a look. At the top, it just says Cover Charge $25 per person

Lists a bunch of prices and thats it. What does that mean?

Edited by zoryana

Not knowing what ships you are looking at, we can only provide some general information here. Most ships will have dining that is included in the price of your cruise (main dining room, buffet, and others depending on the ship and cruise line). Most ships also have specialty dining, which are additional-charge venues. On Carnival, those venues have a set price and you order whatever you wish from the menu for that one price (for example, the steakhouse is $35 and includes the entire meal).

When looking at a ships information... I came across Included Dinning. Does that mean everything in those restaurants are free of charge right?

And then we saw specialty dining. Which would be dining that has to be paid for separately?

Correct?

But When I open a menu to take a look. At the top, it just says Cover Charge $25 per person

Since you mention "Chops", which is a specialty restaurant on Royal Caribbean ships, I can say that when Royal says "included" it means that venue is included in your basic cruise fare and they don't charge extra for it. Virtually all "specialty" dining on Royal is extra cost. Some restaurants have a single cover charge, some have a la carte pricing.

If you are asking about Royal Caribbean, you may also want to post on the RC dedicated forum here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

Since you mention "Chops", which is a specialty restaurant on Royal Caribbean ships, I can say that when Royal says "included" it means that venue is included in your basic cruise fare and they don't charge extra for it. Virtually all "specialty" dining on Royal is extra cost. Some restaurants have a single cover charge, some have a la carte pricing.

If you are asking about Royal Caribbean, you may also want to post on the RC dedicated forum here: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

I don't see where the OP mentions "Chops" ???

Also, there are sometimes some main dishes in the Main Dining Room that are extra charge. But are clearly labeled as such on the menu.

On Royal Caribbean, Maine Lobster is one such dish.

The answer depends on the cruise line.

All lines (as far as I know) have a main dining room that is free, usually for breakfast, lunch, and dinner on sea days, and breakfast and dinner on port days. Some lines do have a few extra charge options offered in the main dining room; but you will have a rotating menu of several starters, mains, and desserts plus a daily menu with a few starters and mains available for free.

All cruise lines have a buffet that is open most of the day for free

Then you get into the specialty restaurants:

Some have a cover charge; pay the charge and then the menu is free (although I’ve even heard of them having a few extra cost items on top of the cover)

Some have a la carte restaurants. These don’t have a cover charge but is more like going to a restaurant at home where every item is priced separately.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

For those restaurants that say "included" you can order AS MUCH AS YOU WANT from the menu (aside from the items that are indicated as extra charge). You can get 3 entrees, 5 appetizers, 4 desserts, whatever your heart (and stomach) desires). By request, they offer smaller versions of their entrees so that you can try more things without feeling (too) sick after :)

For those restaurants that say "included" you can order AS MUCH AS YOU WANT from the menu (aside from the items that are indicated as extra charge). You can get 3 entrees, 5 appetizers, 4 desserts, whatever your heart (and stomach) desires). By request, they offer smaller versions of their entrees so that you can try more things without feeling (too) sick after :)

Actually some cruise lines have cracked down on this type of ordering. They may allow you to order 2 appetizers but discourage ordering more than one main. Princess comes to mind...

You are going to encounter several kinds of restaurants. These are the master dining room, buffet, and specialty restaurants. The specialty restaurants are extra cost, while the buffet and master dining room (MDR) is free. My opinion of the master dining room food, considering how many people they feed in a short period of time (and multiply that by two due to early and late seating), is very good.

My MDR strategy is a bit different in that I'm going to look at the menu.... and order something that is outside my comfort zone. In my most recent cruise on Celebrity, which is a higher-end cruise line, I tried some dishes which I wouldn't normally encounter or would wince at if I saw the price tag. Only one dinner was a "clunker" in my opinion (and I can't .... it sounded appealing, the presentation was excellent, and while I did complete it, it just wasn't all that great in my opinion. When my waiter asked how my meal was, I let him know, with emphasis on "it's not you, it's not the service, it's not the kitchen staff, it's not the food, it's just me trying something new and different and not liking it". I also declined something else as I was full.

Note to the wise.... keep breakfast and lunch light.

Not knowing what ships you are looking at, we can only provide some general information here. Most ships will have dining that is included in the price of your cruise (main dining room, buffet, and others depending on the ship and cruise line). Most ships also have specialty dining, which are additional-charge venues. On Carnival, those venues have a set price and you order whatever you wish from the menu for that one price (for example, the steakhouse is $35 and includes the entire meal).

Oceania is one cruise line where there is no charge for (or limit to) dining in specialty restaurants. Passengers are able to prebook a number of reservations prior to embarkation but then are able to add unlimited additional ones (no extra cost) once onboard each day. Of course, you must be flexible about available times and willingness to share.

The MDR and Terrace Grill (a served "buffet" with items like steak and lobster prepared "a la minute") have no extra charge no matter what you select.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Correct?

Included Dining, for many lines, means a restaurant for no charge with a few exceptions: Carnival has an upcharge for "steakhouse" entrees in the Main Dining Room and after dinner drinks will have a charge (unless you have a drink package).

Specialty Dining restaurants typically have a charge. Some restaurants have a cover charge that gives you one appetizer, soup or salad, side, entree, and dessert (sometimes you can have extra sides). This is usually the steak house or maybe an Italian restaurant and is thought to be a better dining experience in both service and food quality. Other restaurants are a la carte, and include sushi restaurants and sometimes a higher end seafood.

Hope that helps.

Oceania is one cruise line where there is no charge for (or limit to) dining in specialty restaurants. Passengers are able to prebook a number of reservations prior to embarkation but then are able to add unlimited additional ones (no extra cost) once onboard each day. Of course, you must be flexible about available times and willingness to share.

The MDR and Terrace Grill (a served "buffet" with items like steak and lobster prepared "a la minute") have no extra charge no matter what you select.

That sounds really nice. We already have several cruises planned for the next several years, but will keep Oceania on the radar for once we have nothing booked.