Peninsular club - different tiers

silversurf

P&O Loyalty discounts are levied against your cruise card as individual passengers. The two cruise cards will have different discount rates where two passengers have different loyalty tier levels. It makes sense if you are settling both cruise card accounts against a single credit card in payment to use the card which relates to the passenger who has the higher tier and therefore greater discount when signing for things which attract a discount.

Regards John

I am not convinced this works as some posters on this thread have suggested.

Each person has their own account. Doesn't matter whether one credit card is assigned for all accounts or a separate one for each. The discounts are applied to purchases for each individual account as per loyalty status.

I could be wrong but I don't believe this has anything to do with setting up one credit card.

I am not convinced this works as some posters on this thread have suggested.

Each person has their own account. Doesn't matter whether one credit card is assigned for all accounts or a separate one for each. The discounts are applied to purchases for each individual account as per loyalty status.

I could be wrong but I don't believe this has anything to do with setting up one credit card.

Every response on this thread has agreed that the loyalty tier discounts are applied to the cruise card used at the time of purchase at the relevant discount rate. Jeanlyon suggested in this respect that using the senior level persons card would be better as you pay less over all for the total amount of cruise expenses.

Ardennais reaffirmed the situation by explaining that when one daughter on their cruise used her cruise card her discount was less than the others in the group because she was on a lower tier.

I explained that discounts apply to cruise cards and that the discounts might be different for each cruise card depending on the loyalty level of the different passengers. It makes sense when using one credit card to settle the final account to use the higher loyalty level persons card and get their better discount.

If you are using two separate credit cards to settle the final account it does not make sense to use the higher loyalty card with the higher discount rate. This is because the two people in this scenario are not financially connected. In other words say you had a 7.5% discount and I had a 5% discount rate. If I buy an item of jewellery from the on board shop priced at £1000 using my cruise card I sign and a charge of £950 goes on my cruise account. If you buy an item for me from the on board shop priced at £1000 using your cruise card and you sign a charge of only £925 goes on your cruise card. When you get home and I get home your credit card company will charge you £925 for my jewellery item and I do not know you. On the other hand I have an expensive jewellery item which for which my credit card company charges me nothing.

This is the relevance of one credit card as opposed to two - the passengers are not financially connected as in cruise companions.

Regards John

Edited by john watson
  • Thanks 1

My guess is if the senior person puts everything on their card, you will get the bigger discount.

I had inferred that the "card" here is the cruise card, and the senior person was the passenger with the higher loyalty status which is correct.

Regards John

Each person, including children, has an individual cruise card. The individuals spending on board is charged to their on board account and their appropriate discount given. At the end of the cruise the amount on the on board account is charged to the credit card registered on check in. One, or several persons, can be registered to one credit card.

You can check the amount outstanding on your on board account at any time on your cabin TV (Azura and Ventura) or by getting a printout from reception.

Should you wish, you can pay in cash to reduce your account or alternatively withdraw cash on your account. There is no charge for sterling withdrawals.

Brian

Yepp been in this situation, wife had more cruises than me so had a better discount rate.... Once we had used my onboard credit up and hers we tried to use her card for most things. As above the higher discount rate was applied to spending above the OBC on her card transactions and the lower rate on mine. Only one credit card used so the separate accounts then combined for the final bill... I've caught up now, so i'll get a sailaway glass as well as same discount rate for some time...

Last year I cruised with a friend who had never cruised before; I am Caribbean Tier and in fact was Baltic for that cruise. We only registered my credit card on check in and both used our cruise cards throughout. I paid the bill (with the 10% discount) and she paid half to me separately. Works well, but if she had also registered a credit card she wouldn't have got the discount. It was a 15 night cruise and the discount made quite a difference overall.

Last year I cruised with a friend who had never cruised before; I am Caribbean Tier and in fact was Baltic for that cruise. We only registered my credit card on check in and both used our cruise cards throughout. I paid the bill (with the 10% discount) and she paid half to me separately. Works well, but if she had also registered a credit card she wouldn't have got the discount. It was a 15 night cruise and the discount made quite a difference overall.

So what you are saying is that the new cruiser got Baltic Loyalty Discount using their cruise card because the two of you registered just one credit card. This seems a bit strange to me.

Regards John

I don't think that the items your friend bought with her cruise card would have got a 10% discount. If you had used your cruise card solely for everything then everything would have got 10% discount. I don't think the the total bill is discounted 10%, it is just the sum of all the items, some or all of which may be discounted individually.

Actually they did, because we only registered my credit card and I signed for anything expensive. She still signed for occasional drinks and got the 10% because when I checked my final statement it was all discounted at 10%. We're saying nowt!

My travelling and cabin companion and I are on different tiers, Atlantic and Pacific. How are our on board discounts worked out if we put everything on one credit card?

The loyalty discounts are only applied after all obc is exhausted. It is then allocated to the cruise card used at the time of use. The cards are listed under "Description" on the account statement I.e 1st or 2nd card holder. Each card is calculated individually at use and the final account is for the credit card registered on check in.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Actually they did, because we only registered my credit card and I signed for anything expensive. She still signed for occasional drinks and got the 10% because when I checked my final statement it was all discounted at 10%. We're saying nowt!

Result !!

• 10 months later...
19 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

You only get it once your OBC is used up. You also get it on any stuff that you buy beforehand via cruise Personaliser.

Many thanks for the reply, we don’t have any OBC so I presume they just discount the final bill by 5% at the end? 

35 minutes ago, Stephen1985 said:

Many thanks for the reply, we don’t have any OBC so I presume they just discount the final bill by 5% at the end? 

The discount appears against each individual item. If you get an interim bill from reception all your discounts will be shown. 

Brian