Work w/TA or Attempt to Resolve w/HAL?

grsnovi

I've booked a June sailing on K'dam out of and back to Amsterdam. I've used this TA previously but not this specific agent. Nailing things down took several days and I never really had flight details until after everything was paid for. It included the cruise, flights and pre-cruise hotel. I'm not happy with the time of the return flight reservation which is for noon on a day when the ship is supposed to arrive at 7AM. We are supposed to have a HAL transfer from the ship to Schiphol but I'm skeptical that we'll be to the airport in enough time to check-in and wait our way through security and make the flight.

My TA seem to think that HAL wouldn't have allowed them to make the flight reservation if it wasn't possible. It may be possoble if we schlepp our own bags off and grab a cab on our own.

Should I go back to the TA and insist on an alternative flight (there are flights that leave at 2 and 2:30 on Icelandair, Delta and KLM). Our outbound segment from USA to Amsterdam is on Delta - I can't even find the United flight we're on listed when I look for return flights.

If I contact somebody in Seattle will I likely get any help or assurances that their transfer will get me to the airport on time?

I would agree if I were just getting off and getting myself to the airport. What I'm worried about is waiting to fill the transfer bus and then being dropped at a single location at the airport and then having to find our way through the maze. OK, I do tend to worry - I'd love to hear from others who seem as confident as you Sammie :)

I used HAL's flight ease from my flight home from Amsterdam and had choices. I had looked at the potentials and selected and then placed the call.

I would NOT want a noon flight out of this airport. It can take 3 hours to get through Security and Passport control, etc at this airport.

It is do-able, but I wouldn't be doing a HAL transfer. I wouldn't want to wait for a bus to be loaded and subject to their timing.

I'd be in one of the first groups off and grab a cab to the airport, but, that's JMVHO - I don't like stress ;)

If you booked with a TA, flightease has to be done through them. Call them and ask them to check for alternate flights. If you are on a flex booking (which most people are), it can be changed.

We have almost always done HAL transfers, and never had a problem ... even in Seattle where we were dropped a block away from our airline check-in point. I believe your noon flight, even in AMS, will be just fine.

I agree with Kazu -- a noon flight would be too stressful for us.

We did our own flights when we left from there many years ago and we selected a flight around 3 PM.

Sadly you will have to work through your TA as HAL will not work with you unless you transfer your booking to them.

If taking a later flight gives you peace of mind, then ask your agent to change it. Be as specific as possible as to what you want and will accept (departure time, airline). It's his/her job to help you, and make your trip as seamless and worry free as possible; you're the customer. There's no harm in asking HAL first, just be prepared that they may refer you back to the booking agent to make any changes.

I've booked a June sailing on K'dam out of and back to Amsterdam. I've used this TA previously but not this specific agent. Nailing things down took several days and I never really had flight details until after everything was paid for. It included the cruise, flights and pre-cruise hotel. I'm not happy with the time of the return flight reservation which is for noon on a day when the ship is supposed to arrive at 7AM. We are supposed to have a HAL transfer from the ship to Schiphol but I'm skeptical that we'll be to the airport in enough time to check-in and wait our way through security and make the flight.

My TA seem to think that HAL wouldn't have allowed them to make the flight reservation if it wasn't possible. It may be possoble if we schlepp our own bags off and grab a cab on our own.

Should I go back to the TA and insist on an alternative flight (there are flights that leave at 2 and 2:30 on Icelandair, Delta and KLM). Our outbound segment from USA to Amsterdam is on Delta - I can't even find the United flight we're on listed when I look for return flights.

If I contact somebody in Seattle will I likely get any help or assurances that their transfer will get me to the airport on time?

Why create stress for yourself, consider staying overnight in Amsterdam and travel home stress free.

I don't know how HAL could give you assurances of getting to airport in time and then go thru the processes to get on the aircraft.

Good Luck!

We have almost always done HAL transfers, and never had a problem ... even in Seattle where we were dropped a block away from our airline check-in point. I believe your noon flight, even in AMS, will be just fine.

Good to hear from someone who has done the HAL transfer in Seattle. Our first time in Seattle and signed up for the return transfer from Pier 91 to Seatac. Ours is a noon flight. We will make sure that we have one of the first deboarding tickets that morning so that we can promptly get off ship and on the bus. We will be participating in their free Port Valet so will only have to handle our carry ons. So convenient!. I do not have any doubts we will be there in plenty of time and had to reassure our daughter-in-law (she is a first time cruiser). !

Happy cruising!

We had a departing flight from Amsterdam recently. I could not believe how large and busy this airport is. It took hours to go from the ticket agent, walk to the security area, line up in security and then walk to the gate! Two hours or more to finally get to our gate. Our flight was thankfully a later flight and we had more than an hour to wait to boarding. An earlier flight would have caused us to miss our plane.

You will need to work through your TA if your TA is the one who made the flight arrangements. You can insist that HAL's opinion of a 'suitable' time is not yours, and you want the 2:00 PM flight instead. That time is reasonable.

Waiting for the HAL transfer bus to fill is not normally a long wait. There will be many people with HAL transfers given the same disembarkation time as you. You will all be heading to the gangway, gathering your luggage, and heading to the busses at the same time. Many times the busses leave before every seat is filled, too.

If you have your flight time changed, the HAL transfer is not an issue. Nor will be making your flight.

I've flown through Schiphol and know how large it is however I've not been through there in 10 years or so and (like everywhere) they've tightened their security. I always drive to Seattle when we cruise to Alaska so transfers there have never been an issue. I think I'll go back to the TA and see if she can't get us on the Delta/KLM that leaves at 2:30 or on Icelandair leaving at 2. If she can't I suppose I'll cancel the transfer as someone has suggested and try to get off as soon as the ship is cleared and take a cab that will drop us at the specific location for the flight hopefully eliminating arriving at a common bus location and then still having to navigate to a specific terminal.

I appreciate everyone's input!

The one time we flew out of Amsterdam, we took the ship’s transfer and it worked out all right. If I remember correctly, we had an afternoon flight. One thing we have noticed in Amsterdam is the taxi line can be bery long, especially at the peak of disembarkation.

If you can do express disembarkation or be in the first group off the ship, a noon flight is possible. Still, a later flight would be less stressful.

Without hesitation I would keep the noon flight. Plenty of time. It is a fifteen to twenty minute drive to the airport.

In Europe airport counters do not open until two hours prior to departure, if you get there too early you will literally stand around. Some airports do not assign gates until an hour fifteen minutes prior to departure, you get through security and sit or stand in a holding area.

I’ve been through this airport a few times, on land trips or cruises on other lines. We did not have any unusual issues with security or check in lines. Most airports involve considerable walking. You can always request wheelchair assist.

If you rebook on Iceland air you will have an additional connection before you reach the US. Big nuisance.

We rarely take cruise transfers, but our experience is they drop you off at the terminal you need. It is much easier to grab a cab or Uber. In some cities we preorder a car.

When a trip is over, it is over. Single night hotel stays are a nuisance and involve extra cab rides or transfers.

I would NOT want a noon flight out of this airport. It can take 3 hours to get through Security and Passport control, etc at this airport.

I second this view. Schipol has been rough our last time through. If security gets backed up they make you walk to another terminal. And be prepared for very thorough. Their "patdowns" will leave you feeling violated.

Without hesitation I would keep the noon flight. Plenty of time. It is a fifteen to twenty minute drive to the airport.

In Europe airport counters do not open until two hours prior to departure, if you get there too early you will literally stand around. Some airports do not assign gates until an hour fifteen minutes prior to departure, you get through security and sit or stand in a holding area.

I’ve been through this airport a few times, on land trips or cruises on other lines. We did not have any unusual issues with security or check in lines.

Sorry to disagree with you, but the OP is travelling International, not Europe. Counters are open 3 hours in advance https://www.klm.com/travel/ca_en/prepare_for_travel/checkin_options/dropoff_times/index.htm

I'm not sure when the last time was you went through this airport, but since the summer of 2017 it has really tightened up.

Recommendations are to be there 3 hours in advance for International travel to get through security and passport control. If it's faster great ;). But better to be prepared.

There are lots of posts on the ports boards about it and we have a resident from Amsterdam on our roll call who has NOT discouraged us from going early ;)

Thanks to everyone for your input. My TA has assured me (famous last words) that we'll get priority disembarkation and that HAL would book flights as early as 11:30 out of Schiphol. I'll try to relax and will never again commit to purchase without having the flight absolutely confirmed. The whole flight thing with this booking was a pain - I think it changed three times. I've had good luck in the past with some TA's and not so good with others and while I've used this agency previously I've never worked with this particular agent. We'll see if I ever do again come July 1st.

Thanks to everyone for your input. My TA has assured me (famous last words) that we'll get priority disembarkation and that HAL would book flights as early as 11:30 out of Schiphol. I'll try to relax and will never again commit to purchase without having the flight absolutely confirmed. The whole flight thing with this booking was a pain - I think it changed three times. I've had good luck in the past with some TA's and not so good with others and while I've used this agency previously I've never worked with this particular agent. We'll see if I ever do again come July 1st.

Priority should help. Good luck and enjoy your cruise :)