My OBC got taken away [emoji849]

I originally booked a specific rate because it offered OBC, and I booked an inside cabin. I later changed my mind and decided to get a balcony instead...so, I obviously paid a couple hundred more dollars. Now my OBC is gone. Flame all you want, but I’m kind of annoyed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like I said, just annoyed. I don’t think it would have hurt them to tell me that. Especially since I use a PVP. Lesson learned.

You have to research the requirements and perks (OBC, lower deposit amount, etc) of the rate you intend to book under. Failure to do so yields the results you are complaining about. You can only be annoyed at yourself for failure to do so.

"Terms & Conditions" is a must read section.

If the new room/rate you were switching to did not say it included OBC, why would one think they would still get OBC? OBC is tied to the specific room/rate you book under, it is not a case of once you have it you can't lose it. Making any changes subjects the booking to the terms of the new room/rate always!

Like I said, just annoyed. I don’t think it would have hurt them to tell me that. Especially since I use a PVP. Lesson learned.

When you receive OBC as part of a price of the room. For example, the sale price is get this room for $5.00 and we give you $1.00. The OBC is part of the room so rebooking it the OBC goes away. Now the $5.00 room is really a $4.00 room, but they raise the price by $1.00 so they can give it back to you as OBC. It's not really OBC, but just a marketing gimmick designed to keep the money with Carnival. Nothing wrong with it, but remember, the PVP is just a fancy salesperson, and if you tell them you want something, they give it to you. It's up to you to know what you are asking. The Sales person is happy because they just completed an upgrade.

Hi

It is very irritating. You come to trust that other people will inform you of things that may materially affect you, only to find that they don't always do that, or in fact that sometimes their information is wrong.

More so with many aspects of cruising, what people don't know is at the root of many bad experiences. That is one of the reasons why a site like this is very helpful. You can come and ask, even if you think you know it all because you are very experienced, before you make a decision. It's not like you will be bothering anybody (well maybe some, but who cares).

You can say that your TA or your PVP should be knowledgeable and are there to provide you a service, but if they don't live up to your expectations, you generally have little recourse. If saving a few dollars or a few hundred dollars are important to you, then it is up to you to do all the research.

I had something similar happen but in reverse that could have turned out tragic! I called for a special rate with OBC that I was offered (via email) for an already paid in full booked cruise. The PVP changed my code pretty easily and I thought that was it. However, I happened to see an email that said I owed $10.36. I almost panicked because I was past the pay in full date (meaning technically my cruise was cancelled). Anyway, long story short I called and a new PVP said I had until 4:30pm that day to pay the 10 bucks or my cruise would have been automatically cancelled. Moral of the story you have to be careful changing around rate codes because the PVP's can be inexperienced. He inadvertently almost cancelled my cruise (in 30 days)......:rolleyes::rolleyes:

They had the right to do it if it was under a promo, but you also have the right to be annoyed and vent. A good PVP should have told you that. Now you know. But, all that aside. You are going on a cruise and you have a balcony. Focus on the positive.

OP.....I'm Annoyed right along with you.....Yes, I am aware of the "rule" and yes it has happened to me but some things in life can just piss one off and this is one of those things. Can't do a thing about it and I hope you don't let it influence you in any other way but you go on and be annoyed. To each his own. Enjoy your cruise and get back the $50 OBC in other ways. Eat multiple plates for dinner. Eat lots of ice cream. Eat lots of pop corn. Double up on the chocolate celebration..... get a few decks of cards from guest services and a few extra pens........it'll make you feel better.....At some point you'll no longer be annoyed; like me.

Based on some of the comments here, especially where posters expect the Carnival customer representative to "warn" them, I shutter to think how badly those same posters get taken advantage of when they purchase a car (or similar item)

OUCH ! :eek:

Remember, the Carnival reps are salespeople and they have their jobs with the expectation from Carnival that they generate revenue for the company, 1st and foremost ! Buyer Beware !

I originally booked a specific rate because it offered OBC, and I booked an inside cabin. I later changed my mind and decided to get a balcony instead...so, I obviously paid a couple hundred more dollars. Now my OBC is gone. Flame all you want, but I’m kind of annoyed.

You voluntarily changed your cabin and you mostly likely didn't even ask if it would affect your OBC when you changed so the only person you should be annoyed at is yourself. Feel free to blame others if you want though.

The way I see it is if you are happy with the first cruise you paid for I don't look back and see if there are price drops. Sometimes it is not worth it to do all the changing around. But that is me.

I don't know. Our upcoming cruise the rate dropped twice. Once by a total of $50 and once by only $30. In each case I filled out the price protection form online, and had a response and OBC within an hour. It literally took five minutes. Even if it's only $30, that's worth five minutes of my time (to me, anyway).

The way I see it is if you are happy with the first cruise you paid for I don't look back and see if there are price drops. Sometimes it is not worth it to do all the changing around. But that is me.

I do it all the time. Its one phone call and has saved me hundreds over the years. You should really check it out. I won't do it for OBC anymore, but price drops yes. I won't pay more for something I don't have to.