Cats- Oasis of the Seas

Can I try and change my show date on board?

When I did reservations for CATS I was alittle late I think and could only get the 2pm show on the last cruise day...everything else was booked....and no other options.

Popular show I guess.... ;)

Yes, try to change as soon as you get onboard. Find out where the "box office" is on boarding day by reading the boarding day compass they give you at check-in.

I believe it would be a better show if it was cut down a bit, but I was told that Andrew Lloyd Webber would not allow ANY changes to be made in the play when royal obtained the rights. It is a little bit of an odd storyline too! Jellicle cats, Jellicle cats!

Just another interesting Andrew Lloyd Webber story. We sat in the first row of the balcony right above the sound tech and his video screens. On one screen there was a conductor actively using his baton to seemingly direct an orchestra. Later during a backstage tour, I asked where he and the orchestra were. I was told there was no orchestra because ALR did not trust RCIs performers to provide high enough quality music. He insisted on a tape with full orchestration. The conductor appeared on screens that were also on the front of the upper level to only provide visual timing clues to the actors. The tech guy said sometimes as a joke the conductor will high five on the screen to the non-existent band members.

Just another interesting Andrew Lloyd Webber story. We sat in the first row of the balcony right above the sound tech and his video screens. On one screen there was a conductor actively using his baton to seemingly direct an orchestra. Later during a backstage tour, I asked where he and the orchestra were. I was told there was no orchestra because ALR did not trust RCIs performers to provide high enough quality music. He insisted on a tape with full orchestration. The conductor appeared on screens that were also on the front of the upper level to only provide visual timing clues to the actors. The tech guy said sometimes as a joke the conductor will high five on the screen to the non-existent band members.

That is an interesting little tidbit! Thanks for sharing!:)

Can I try and change my show date on board?

When I did reservations for CATS I was alittle late I think and could only get the 2pm show on the last cruise day...everything else was booked....and no other options.

Popular show I guess.... ;)

Lol, just show up. CATS is the biggest joke at sea, you can find a seat easily.

I was told there was no orchestra because ALR did not trust RCIs performers to provide high enough quality music.

ALW should probably have trusted the live band. I thoroughly enjoyed Cats on Oasis a couple years ago (the lead singer was phenomenal) but the orchestration was the weakest part of the show. The trumpet was obviously synthed, and not with a particularly good synthesizer either. You could overlook it pretty easily because the cast made up for it, but it was definitely noticeable.

“Cats”is one of my favorite musicals. I booked this cruise for “cats”. So please those of you that don’t think you will like the show or plan to leave don’t take the front seats. Leave them for those that are looking forward to the show. We will be the ones wearing our Cats T-shirts. Thank you!

Later during a backstage tour, I asked where he and the orchestra were. I was told there was no orchestra because ALR did not trust RCIs performers to provide high enough quality music. He insisted on a tape with full orchestration.

I'm in the midst of reading ALW's new memoir, "Unmasked." One of the things he says in there is how critical sound quality is to him. Who can blame him, he's the genius who wrote the music, he wants it to sound the way he wrote it.

Edited by Turtles06

"Welcome to the comedy theater, it sits sixty five... which is still more people than the second half of CATS." - Simeon, Oasis of the Seas Comedy Host

Good one, on my 2016 Oasis cruise I was introduced to Simeon and Cats, great cruise. This was my first cruise as Diamond and I adopted my Blue Collar Diamond persona for reviews. My Blue Collar review of CATS with photos is here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353877&page=3

Harmony goes to PC in May 2019.

EDIT: I believe Allure stays in PE while Harmony and Oasis go to POM.

Allure is, the last I heard going to POM when the new terminal opens and I am booked on Symphony in Miami that year.

As to the person who brought up Jellico cats, damm you to HE double tookpicks. Took me months to get that earworm out of my head.

Allure is, the last I heard going to POM when the new terminal opens and I am booked on Symphony in Miami that year.

As to the person who brought up Jellico cats, damm you to HE double tookpicks. Took me months to get that earworm out of my head.

And I thought Harmony was staying in Port Everglades.

"Welcome to the comedy theater, it sits sixty five... which is still more people than the second half of CATS." - Simeon, Oasis of the Seas Comedy Host

That has to be one of the funniest things I've ever heard...because of course...it's pretty much true... :D:D:D

• Like 1