Cats- Oasis of the Seas

Great show!

1. Print out a synopsis and read it before you go.

2. Sit close to the front toward the right side of the theatre as you enter to get the best interaction with the characters and enjoy their facial expressions.

3. Ignore those who leave.

3. Enjoy!

Agree with yogimax on all counts. Our family of 3 (including our then 11 year old son) took a 9 year old friend he made on the ship with us. We were a combination of having seen the play on Broadway and never having seen it before. We sat in the front row on the right and the cats were right in front of us and often interacted with the boys. The kids LOVED it. Sometimes I find plays tedious but I thought it was great too. If I were to go on Oasis again, I'd go see Cats (the whole thing) again

At one time Cats held the record for the longest-running show on Broadway so it makes sense that Royal would want it. I had seen the original Broadway productions in the mid 80's and liked it very much. I though the Oasis production was very much up to standard. I think the fact that the show is not plot-driven makes it a challenge for a lot of folks who are used to plot being the main thing. Yes there is a plot, but its hardly driving the show and nearly all of the songs are presented as vignettes and not designed to drive the story forward.

To the OP : if your desire is to see and hear the full rendition of "Memory" then it is Act 2 you need to catch. The rendition in Act 1 is only a prelude and lasts maybe a minute and a half? The full song takes place toward the end of Act 2.

If you want front row right, as we did, you arrive as soon as the doors open 45 minutes before the show starts. There are a small group (100 or fewer) of fervent fans who will prioritize this show, believe it or not, and beat you to the prime seats. The cats run up and down off the stage up here and right into your face - one stole my glasses and handed me some lady's purse, and did not give either back - we had to sort it out ourselves after the kitties were back up onstage.

It can also be viewed well from the balcony in my opinion, though without the interaction of course. Which many might prefer for ease of sneaking in and out. When we returned to re-watch act 2 on a later performance, the balcony was almost empty and we sat up there.

Folks, let's face it. This is one of the most famous and popular musicals of all time for a reason. For anyone who truly enjoys great song and dance - and lots of it, going on and on and on - it is a fabulous and whimsical show.

Many of the performers affect the proper accent to place you in the grungy urban London junkyard where the story takes place so you really get the original 1981 West End experience intended by Andrew Lloyd Webber.

On the other hand, it's based on a series of nonsensical poems for children and so there's a lot of, well, nonsense. The point is to let go and be dazzled, and not much more than that.

For anyone who likes their live theatre concise, straightforward and wrapped up in 45 minutes, this show is a nightmare. It's not great storytelling. It's self-important Jellicle cats who can and who do. That pretty much sums it up, and yes, I fully understand that nobody knows what a Jellicle is and they are not really a thing. Exactly. Have fun sneaking in or out as you see fit.

Thanks...we (in the minority I see...lol) are looking forward to the show.

So you would recommend the first few rows in the front?

On the aisle?

Left or right side matter?

We are scheduled to see it tonight. We will be a no show.

Once was enough. Only made it to intermission the first time.

I am just not sophisticated enough for this show.

Bill

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

It's not you, I am a regular theater goer and I hate CATS.. no one likes it on land or see. It was George Bush's favorite musical if that tells you anythingo of it's level of sophistication.

It's not you, I am a regular theater goer and I hate CATS.. no one likes it on land or see. It was George Bush's favorite musical if that tells you anythingo of it's level of sophistication.

Where is your research on this?

Let's be clear. YOU don't like it on land or see(lol).

Edited by cruisinfanatic

I love CATS. I've seen it 3 times including Oasis. BUT, you have to understand it. Read T.S.Eliot's "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats." These are the cats in the play. Then you understand each song. Sure there isn't much plot as it's really about the cats. And if you're a "cat person," you'll enjoy it more. But I thought Royal Caribbean did a great job. Having said that, I also agree that it probably was not a good choice for a cruise ship. You give up 2 hours out of your evening or day. Most of us like to maximize our day in the sun or evening having fun in the bars. So cutting 2 hours out, especially the last sea day, is a "sacrifice." We've seen Hairspray, Chicago, and Mama Mia on ships. Those plays are better choices as they are more plot oriented and fun plays. And I feel sorry for the actors in that each performance is given to a very small audience. Must be disappointing. Royal Caribbean seemed to miss the mark on this one.

Yes thanks for clarifying. It’s only for dirtbag unsophisticates like me. Those who occupy the filthy underworld of common working folk with no breeding, manners, or appreciation for decency. That’s why it’s made Andrew Lloyd Webber one of the richest people on the planet.

Can I get a woot woot?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I wonder how much longer the cats run will last? Might be getting close to change over, though it is a very expensive set and costumes to replace. Thought previous Hair Spray was hilarious!

Oasis going back south will pick up some pax from down there that have not seen it before of course, which will make it fresh for them.

Harmony coming to PC will give us "northerners" something different to watch from that port (assuming Grease is still on that ship when she arrives).

We are not sophisticated but really enjoyed Cats and did as a few on here have suggested and read a bit about it before hand.

We had a family sit next to us who came in balancing plates of pizza and drinks (it was a matinee) who had no idea what was coming.

It made me smile as the Dad announced after 15 minutes that it was 'not very good' (or words to that effect...) and 'that the Belly Flop competition was on in 5 minutes' and they all left.

One mans (or womans) pleasure is anothers poison. Venues would be very busy if we all liked the same thing.

Harmony coming to PC will give us "northerners" something different to watch from that port (assuming Grease is still on that ship when she arrives).

I didn't know Harmony was moving to PC. When does that happen? I'd like to catch the ship before the move. And which, if any, Oasis class ship will be at Port Everglades?

You should research why T.S.Eliot called them Jellicle cats.

The name "Jellicle cat" is derived from an attempt by T.S. Eliot's infant niece to say "dear little cat.""

Thank you-I do know why they are "Jellicle" cats-I still think it is silly to expect everyone in the audience to know.

I didn't know Harmony was moving to PC. When does that happen? I'd like to catch the ship before the move. And which, if any, Oasis class ship will be at Port Everglades?

Harmony goes to PC in May 2019.

EDIT: I believe Allure stays in PE while Harmony and Oasis go to POM.

I think it’s a couple more years on the show contract. Someone asked at the Captain Q and A session and you could tell they’re sick of that question. But they could not give an exact date. They said Cats came with the ship and basically indicated they are stuck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by KmomChicago

Can I try and change my show date on board?

When I did reservations for CATS I was alittle late I think and could only get the 2pm show on the last cruise day...everything else was booked....and no other options.

Popular show I guess.... ;)