Dry Swimsuit Questions

First roll it up in one of the bath towels and step on the roll to get most of the water out.
Trust Bob. He is wise beyond his years.

We do this, works great. Then hang suit on pants hangers from the air vent in the ceiling (but not the sprinkler head). Dries pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We usually hang ours on the clothes line in the shower.

Years ago I read a post on CC that said hang it in your closet clothes pinned to a plastic hanger near the vent in the ceiling . I have found this does work with drip dry clothing if there is a closet vent.

We use Bob's technique of rolling the rinsed swimsuit in a towel and pressing on it to absorb the excess water, or standing on it. We bring magnets with hooks for the ceiling and use a hanger with clamps to hang the swimsuit. It dries hanging in the open in the cabin. We put the magnets by the balcony door and if there is sun, the swimsuit might get some sun to help dry it.

Washing anything and getting it to dry in the cabin is always a challenge. We have brought the magnets twice and they have never been taken from us.

If you have a balcony, nothing will dry it like fresh air. I usually tie mine to one of the chairs so it doesn’t blow away! Inside rooms are trickier. It seems to take forever

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Disagree.

Outside: salt air

Inside: air conditioning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trust Bob. He is wise beyond his years.

We do this, works great. Then hang suit on pants hangers from the air vent in the ceiling (but not the sprinkler head). Dries pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Works with damp shirts as well.

20180416_130630.thumb.jpg.48f12fc374974fe285b4b9611ed1115e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

And the physics of this is?

Dissolved salt (any salt) raises vapor pressure (lowers the boiling point) of water because it interferes with the hydrogen bonding in water. It is this hydrogen bonding that gives the low molecular weight water an abnormally high vapor pressure (boiling point). The boiling point of a liquid is the temperature at which its vapor pressure equals atmospheric pressure. On a ship in the ocean for a practical purposes that is 14.7 lbs/square inch or 1 bar in SI units. Most other compounds of molecular weight of 18 are a gas at room temperature (ie methane (16), ethane (30)). Since the vapor pressure is higher, the water evaporates faster. I am not talking perceptibly faster, but it will be measurably faster if you put the swim suit with salt water on a accurate balance and watched the weight loss versus a swim suit with ships fresh water (which is near distilled water in purity).

Sorry I teach chemistry among other things.

Very interesting information.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app