Drinks package

claudiniusmaximus

Hi

I read recently that a double shot (eg a large whiskey) counts as two drinks for the purposes of the drinks package.

My partner in that case could easily hit the 15 drink maximum.

Currently we are both planning on getting the drinks package - if he has hit his maximum and I haven’t I can just “buy” him some additional drinks with my package (ie just show my card to order the drink). That’s right isn’t it?

Might sound like a dumb question just a little concerned about the “non transferable” thing.

(We haven’t decided to definitely get the drinks package but when on celebrity not having to worry about how much we were spending with the drinks package - although they didn’t have a limit that I recall).

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But I could buy a drink for myself and give it to him I guess?

This is the very definition of sharing and if you do it in the open you may lose your package with no refund per the rules you are accepting. If you want to sneak around the corner and hand it to him you would probably get away with it. Please know that even after 15 drinks he can buy more as long as he is not considered intoxicated by the management

Yes, doubles count as two drinks but... They won't serve you a double unless they trust you. I asked on our latest cruise why they were able to serve me doubles and two bartenders told me it was at their discretion. Once they decide you are not sharing they can serve you doubles. In your case it's more likely that they will figure out you are sharing (they aren't stupid) and may well revoke both of your packages without any refund. It was folks cheating like this that caused the AIBP to become the PBP. If you do decide to violate the rules of the contract you agreed to when booking the beverage package don't expect any sympathy from others if you have your package revoked.

Due to drinking doubles (Talisker straight up) I did manage to hit my limit. My wife "may" have gotten up to 8 drinks one day. We didn't even consider sharing.

People do it all the time. Just don't be so open about passing him the drink & you'll be fine.

You've paid for your 15 drink allotment so there's no reason that it should go unused.

Not true. It's for an individual. It's not like the coffee card which can be shared. And like mentioned above, I think if you get caught sharing, you may lose it.

Sharing like that is the very definition of cheating the plan.

I know it happens a lot, but as others have said you could get your package cancelled.

This brings me to a point that I have often wondered about: Princess must know that many people cheat this rule, why not have packages that give 7 or 8 drinks for the price of 10? Sharing would be allowed, and Princess would probably make more money.

All you can drink actually seems to have so many problems (overconsumption, cheating, the price point must scare off most people, wasting of drinks etc.) that I am very surprised Princess has not forgone the plan for something more enforceable and less expensive to themselves and their customers. Princess would probably end up making more money.

People do it all the time. Just don't be so open about passing him the drink & you'll be fine.

You've paid for your 15 drink allotment so there's no reason that it should go unused.

Happy to report that on our last cruise, several sharing people were caught and privileges revoked. Mr Floridalover often gives poor and unethical advice.

All you can drink actually seems to have so many problems (overconsumption, cheating, the price point must scare off most people, wasting of drinks etc.) that I am very surprised Princess has not forgone the plan for something more enforceable and less expensive to themselves and their customers. Princess would probably end up making more money.

Princess package is no longer all you can drink. They have modified on to only 15 alcoholic drinks in 24 hours period, and it is enforced.

Since it would likely need to be used then for coffees (like the coffee card),water, milkshakes and soda, it would terrible for most of us.

Coffee cards or soda type packages are available too. People could decide what meets their specific needs. Price disparities between alcoholic and non alcoholic beverages would be fairly compensated for.

Yes, doubles count as two drinks but... They won't serve you a double unless they trust you. I asked on our latest cruise why they were able to serve me doubles and two bartenders told me it was at their discretion. Once they decide you are not sharing they can serve you doubles. In your case it's more likely that they will figure out you are sharing (they aren't stupid) and may well revoke both of your packages without any refund. It was folks cheating like this that caused the AIBP to become the PBP. If you do decide to violate the rules of the contract you agreed to when booking the beverage package don't expect any sympathy from others if you have your package revoked.

Due to drinking doubles (Talisker straight up) I did manage to hit my limit. My wife "may" have gotten up to 8 drinks one day. We didn't even consider sharing.

Believe me when it comes to this subject :whiskey-glass: Thrak has the right answer.

Tony

Once the Ocean Medallion is fully implemented, it’ll be a lot easier for Princess to keep track of who is ordering what. I’ll bet that the system will flag someone if they’re regularly ordering martinis, for instance, and suddenly a few minutes later order a whiskey, followed by another martini.

As was said previously, they’re not stupid and while certainly lenient, the bottom line is to follow the money. Always.

Once the Ocean Medallion is fully implemented, it’ll be a lot easier for Princess to keep track of who is ordering what. I’ll bet that the system will flag someone if they’re regularly ordering martinis, for instance, and suddenly a few minutes later order a whiskey, followed by another martini.

As was said previously, they’re not stupid and while certainly lenient, the bottom line is to follow the money. Always.

That would be an interesting algorithm to try to program.

I drink beer during the day; pre-dinner martini or cocktail; wine with dinner then G&T and/or whisky or brandy after dinner.

DW drinks cocktails during the day; pre-dinner martini; wine with dinner and cocktails after dinner (occasionally brandy).

Granted, we usually buy two drinks at the same time (2 packages and 2 cards), but those changes of drinks could easily flag up as suspect in a poorly written algorithm.

Given Princess's current track record of programming stuff (e.g *****), this could be a challenge too far.

Thanks for the replies - I’ve been surprised but the unanimity.

I’m not sure we’ll bother buying one. It seems very expensive to have rules like no doubles and you can’t buy your husband a drunk.

I guess I can see how some people would abuse it in the sense that they may try to share one drinks package among lots of people, or get wasted on excessive alcohol but for the record I don’t think buying my husband a drink is cheating or dishonest, I buy him a drink quite regularly at our local restaurants and bars if I’ve paid for it I don’t see why I shouldn’t just because I pre purchased a number of drinks up front but if thems the rules I shall of course abide.

So, anyway, I guess the best way to look at the drinks package is very much as a “discount” package eg buy 15 drinks for the price of 18 rather than a drinks package along the lines of the one Celebrity offer.

By the way, I’ve googled but can’t find an up to date bar menu can anyone provide a link to one either in this forum or elsewhere. Then I can maybe do some calculations and work out a bit better if it’s good value. I’ve searched the boards and can see some debates about whether the drinks package is financially worth it but they tend to relate to when it was an AIBP rather than the new system. If we have to keep an eye on our spending it might be just as well to not bother with a package.

Many thanks

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

Ok so I found a menu - seems that a beer is around $5 plus tip, glass of wine $7 plus tip and cocktails $8 plus tip. Couldn’t find a spirits menu but found vodka around $7.

The package works out at $4 per drink and you only pay the tip once so it’s maybe a 10 to 40% discount depending on what you buy. So maybe it is worth it.

One thing to add is I don’t actually drink but was thinking of getting the drinks package so I wouldn’t have to worry about how many coffees, smoothies, soft drinks I was having. It seems it’s definitely not worth buying it for myself (esp if I can’t buy him a drink) but maybe it might be for hubby just from a discount point of view.

Happy to report that on our last cruise, several sharing people were caught and privileges revoked. Mr Floridalover often gives poor and unethical advice.

Only if you're so stupid as to share drinks openly without any concern as to who's watching.

It appears that you've been observing the passengers actions. What about the ones that weren't so obvious?

Discretion is always best. ;)

Only if you're so stupid as to share drinks openly without any concern as to who's watching.

It appears that you've been observing the passengers actions. What about the ones that weren't so obvious?

Discretion is always best. ;)

Even many of the "smart" criminals get caught eventually. Hope to sail with you soon.

I guess each person has to decide their own morality when it comes to this issue. I for one have not shared my drink package when I have had it. I just want to relax when I cruise, engaging in petty theft does not really feel relaxing.

I don’t think buying my husband a drink is cheating or dishonest, I buy him a drink quite regularly at our local restaurants and bars if I’ve paid for it I don’t see why I shouldn’t just because I pre purchased a number of drinks up front but if thems the rules I shall of course abide.

What you purchase is all the included beverages that you want to personally consume, but with a limit of 15 alcohol beverages a day. Of course you could drink in addition to the alcohol drinks, for example, an unlimited number of juices, specialty coffees, fountain sodas, etc. Nothing prevents you from purchasing your husband a drink, charging it to your room account.

Compare it to eating at a buffet restaurant on land. You cannot pay for just one person but want to share the food with a second person who did not purchase the meal.