Drinks package

claudiniusmaximus

Compare it to eating at a buffet restaurant on land. You cannot pay for just one person but want to share the food with a second person who did not purchase the meal.

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison and to be honest I’m a little upset at all the insinuations of being a thief, criminal, immoral and dishonest. Quite harsh considering none of you know me and I was simply asking the question.

Regarding the buffet comparison...buffets are usually “all you can eat” and so could be compared to an all inclusive beverage package. Quite right that it would be dodgy for one person to purchase one all you can eat buffet and share it with others.

But the drinks package princess now offer isn’t “all you can drink” you are simply pre-purchasing a fixed number of drinks. A more accurate comparison would be buying a dessert in a restaurant and asking for two spoons so you can share it. Or asking for a main course but with an extra plate (which we were advised by our American friends is fairly common when we visited America due to the larger portion sizes served in many places). Or buying a bottle wine in a restaurant and sharing it with my husband. Or buying 15 sessions with my chiropractor in advance and then finding out I can only make 10 of the sessions and gifting one or two to my husband. Or whatever. Ive paid for 15 massages/the bottle of wine/the dessert etc everyone still gets paid, it makes no difference to him.

If I’m buying an all inclusive package of course I understand that the seller would put a no sharing rule onto it. But if I’m pre-purchasing 15 drinks and then it runs out once that limit is reached I don’t see what difference it makes if I buy a round of drinks for 15 strangers at the bar as I’ve paid for 15 drinks and no more so who I give them to is nobodies business. It’s not like I could buy another round of 15 drinks and another and another with this package. I can only consume what I’ve pre-purchased.

Going back to the buffet comparison that’s like pre-paying for 15 shrimp rolls and then sharing them with my friends. No one has been cheated. 15 have been paid for. 15 have been consumed.

Just want to add if the replies had simply been warning me that the package might be revoked with no refund etc etc rather than being so very, very judgemental about simply asking the question I honestly would have simply thanked you. I really don’t understand the meanness mentality of some people. Why attack a stranger on a forum for asking a question when that’s what the forum is for. Beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by claudiniusmaximus

Ps I should also add a thank you to those of you who took the time to respond without a value judgement, much appreciated.

As I'm sure you've noticed, you have to have a thick skin to ask a question on cruise critic. Years ago I asked an innocent question about what would happen if my husband accidently tried to board with his pen knife in his pocket. (A very small knife that's always in his pocket with his change). We were accused of trying to break the rules by bringing a murder weapon on board!

Sorry you ran afoul of the morality police.

Have a lovely cruise.

I don’t think that’s a fair comparison and to be honest I’m a little upset at all the insinuations of being a thief, criminal, immoral and dishonest. Quite harsh considering none of you know me and I was simply asking the question.

Regarding the buffet comparison...buffets are usually “all you can eat” and so could be compared to an all inclusive beverage package. Quite right that it would be dodgy for one person to purchase one all you can eat buffet and share it with others.

But the drinks package princess now offer isn’t “all you can drink” you are simply pre-purchasing a fixed number of drinks. A more accurate comparison would be buying a dessert in a restaurant and asking for two spoons so you can share it. Or asking for a main course but with an extra plate (which we were advised by our American friends is fairly common when we visited America due to the larger portion sizes served in many places). Or buying a bottle wine in a restaurant and sharing it with my husband. Or buying 15 sessions with my chiropractor in advance and then finding out I can only make 10 of the sessions and gifting one or two to my husband. Or whatever. Ive paid for 15 massages/the bottle of wine/the dessert etc everyone still gets paid, it makes no difference to him.

If I’m buying an all inclusive package of course I understand that the seller would put a no sharing rule onto it. But if I’m pre-purchasing 15 drinks and then it runs out once that limit is reached I don’t see what difference it makes if I buy a round of drinks for 15 strangers at the bar as I’ve paid for 15 drinks and no more so who I give them to is nobodies business. It’s not like I could buy another round of 15 drinks and another and another with this package. I can only consume what I’ve pre-purchased.

Going back to the buffet comparison that’s like pre-paying for 15 shrimp rolls and then sharing them with my friends. No one has been cheated. 15 have been paid for. 15 have been consumed.

Just want to add if the replies had simply been warning me that the package might be revoked with no refund etc etc rather than being so very, very judgemental about simply asking the question I honestly would have simply thanked you. I really don’t understand the meanness mentality of some people. Why attack a stranger on a forum for asking a question when that’s what the forum is for. Beyond me.

This thread has a spreadsheet with all the prices of drinks on Princess. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2546180

I think you are looking at the drink package incorrectly. You are not prepaying for 15 drinks per day. The drink package allows you to order all the non-alcohol drinks you want and UP TO 15 drinks per day. It isn't like the coffee card where you do prepay for a set number of coffees.

I just got off a cruise this week and a couple of my friends did hit the 15 limit (I was close a couple of times!). They were not visibly intoxicated and were allowed to purchase extra cocktails once they reached their limit, so your husband would most likely be allowed to charge additional drinks to his shipboard account if he is not visibly intoxicated.

I think you are looking at the drink package incorrectly. You are not prepaying for 15 drinks per day. The drink package allows you to order all the non-alcohol drinks you want and UP TO 15 drinks per day. It isn't like the coffee card where you do prepay for a set number of coffees.

Granted that they limit you to a max of 15 drinks but at the same time you can pour the drinks down the drain, drink them your self, save them in your fridge or even let your wife have them.

They would have a more logical argument if the package were unlimited as it use to be.

Ps I should also add a thank you to those of you who took the time to respond without a value judgement, much appreciated.

Lots of self righteous folks commenting:cool::cool::eek::rolleyes:

It makes them feel better about themselves to makes others feel less than so they can feel greater than.

Yeah I know man, shame it can’t just be a helpful forum without the shaming just for asking a question.

Yeah its a shame that people can't offer helpful insight without being judgmental and trying be on some moral high ground.

Sometimes you get that with harmless questions. Like I once asked about kids having to dress up for formal night and I had a few posters try to tell I was a bad person if I let me teen wear shorts to dinner.

Exactly. When you’re just asking it’s for information. It’s not like my question was “how can I con the cruise line into free drinks” I just wanted to know if could use the drinks I’d paid in advance for to share with my husband. Prob same with you.

Anyway I got my answer, just not the way I would have liked haha

The cruise lines offer these packages because its an incredible profit for them. They know the "average" cruiser isn't going to come close to 15 drinks per day, every day of the cruise.

If they allowed it to be 15 drinks per day to do with whatever you want, they would lose tons of money so that will never happen.

I think they put the 15 drink limit because that entices people to buy it figuring thats a lot of drinks per day.

I had the package as a booking promotion on my recent cruise and I enjoyed trying new drinks but it's hard trying to drink more each day to make it worth it. I would never purchase the package.

Bottom line, they aren't offering it as a convenience to the passenger, its a total money grab.

I apologize. My comment was not aimed towards Claudinus. I know you were just asking for information. Everything comes across much harsher than the intent when posting.

I was not questioning your morality. I do not know you so I have no right to judge. Unfortunately, I have met people that were basically sharing one package amongst several people. My comment was more directed towards anyone who would advise you that it was okay to share so long as you are discreet.

I do believe that Princess should sell cards that allow a set number of drinks at a reduced price. You could then share your drinks, or not drink them at all on any given day.

The new 15 alcohol drink limit is still way beyond my capacity to drink (at least daily throughout the cruise) and I think it is the same for many people. I think it is natural to want to share so your question is valid.

I once again apologize. My comment was not aimed at you.

Interesting thread, I agree that the 15 drink limit is the cause for confusion. Many on Cruise Critic feel the Drink Package is a good deal and fear that 'Sharing' will cause Princess to delete it - so they are protective of the package.

A point not mentioned in this thread is that both OP and DH are on the package. I know 15 drinks per person is still a limit, but I feel the 'No Sharing' is meant to prevent DH buying the package and DW getting free drinks via sharing.

A point not mentioned in this thread is that both OP and DH are on the package. I know 15 drinks per person is still a limit, but I feel the 'No Sharing' is meant to prevent DH buying the package and DW getting free drinks via sharing.

Yes that was my thinking when I originally posted.

It is still sharing if DH reaches his limit and then shares hers, all he has to do is pay for any over the 15 drink limit. If he is not too intoxicated they will allow that.

I agree, however, for the sake of discussion, I believe the 15 drink limit is 'all you can drink' for 99% of cruisers and the limit was imposed to stop two people sharing one package. OP would be breaking the rule by circumventing the 15 drink limit but not sure that is the real 'intent' of the rule.

BTW I do not agree with OP that she essentially has 15 drinks prepaid.

Once the Ocean Medallion is fully implemented, it’ll be a lot easier for Princess to keep track of who is ordering what. I’ll bet that the system will flag someone if they’re regularly ordering martinis, for instance, and suddenly a few minutes later order a whiskey, followed by another martini.

As was said previously, they’re not stupid and while certainly lenient, the bottom line is to follow the money. Always.

Yep. The bartenders on our last two cruises (the ones booked under the Sip and Sail) would have noticed for sure. My wife drank mostly Lemon Drop Martinis or a Raspberry Martini. She also has a beer by the pool sometimes. She is definitely not a single malt scotch drinker and really doesn't even like the smell of Talisker at all. (It's not a mild scotch like Glenlivet or something of that sort.)

I drank Chairman of the Board martinis, Tanqueray and Tonic, or Talisker straight up. If my wife suddenly started ordering Talisker they certainly would have noticed the sudden change to "my" drink. I suppose she could have gone to a bar that we didn't normally frequent such as the one up on deck 16 forward but it would be a hassle to try to circumvent the system. I found that 15 drinks was plenty.

OP - you're not "buying 15 drinks" at a discount or otherwise with the Beverage package. They're not pre-purchase or yours to do wirh as you will. You're buying a package that allows up to 15 drinks per day, whether you drink them all or not. You're entering a contract, for lack of a better way to put it, that allows you - the purchaser - up to 15 alcoholic beverages under the terms of the contract . It does not allow sharing said drinks, whether you're going to drink up to 15 or not. Those are rhe terms of the deal. Don't like the terms? Don't buy the package. It's pretty simple really.

You're no pre-purchasing drinks, buying 15 to use as you like, getting a discount on 15 drinks, or however else you want to justify it.

If hubby clears his 15 and wants more, and the bartenders determine he's not visibly intoxicated or causing problems, then he's more than able to buy additional drinks.

You're more than allowed to buy him drinks also - operative word being "BUY". You cannot "give" him or share with him or gift him or whatever other term you want to use, drinks using your package - that violates rhe terms of rhe contract deal you entered into. Call it whatever you like - theft, stealing, immoral, whatever - it's against the rules of rhe package that your purchased, whether you agree with it or not.

You don't have to buy any packages at all. If you're not going to be drinking enough to make it worthwhile, and he drinks things normally that are not covered by the package (doubles or whatever), then why bother? Pay-as-you-go and problem solved.

Alternatively, gift yourselves OBC in the amount of the packages, and buy drinks to your hearts content. That way, no limitations at all, buy each other all the drinks you want, and if, for whatever reason, you have any OBC leftover, you get a refund. Again, "problem" solved.

Don't, however, somehow try to justify what you're doing by deliberately misinterpreting the rules of the package, they're pretty darn clear...

When the package was truly unlimited, I agreed that sharing was inappropriate from an ethical standpoint (Like the buffet example given earlier)

But with the newly imposed 15 drink limit, I think Princess changed the equation.....

It can be justifiably argued that you've prepaid for 15 drinks per day - so sharing those 15 should be your choice.

Scotto if that is true, you should just explain your interpretation to the Princess bartenders, and see if they agree. I somehow think they will not.

I do agree with you that making it only 15 alcoholic drinks opens the door for Princess to do the right thing: Make the card work exactly the way you propose. 15 drinks for a set price, but I somehow doubt they would give 15 guaranteed drinks for the price of the card at this point.

Let's face it the people that can drink 15 alcoholic drinks a day are in a very small minority. The times I had the package, I averaged considerably less than 15 alcoholic drinks now allowed. Princess bases the cost of the card on this reality. The times I had the card, my lack of heavy drinking, allowed Princess a profit margin that would have not existed if my wife, friends and I shared the card.