what to do after cruise in FLL before a 9pm flight?

Hi all! I am racking my brain trying to figure out what to do with the family after our Freedom of the Seas cruise in a few weeks. To save about $1500 on airfare we booked a 9pm from FLL back to ORD on Sunday, May 6th. I will have my wife and three kids to keep entertained all day. Renting a car is an option but I am thinking hotel/beach day might prove more relaxing. Any tips or suggestions?

I was thinking about the water taxi but where do we store luggage for the 12 -ish hours?

If they have luggage valet, use it . You won't have to be bothered. So worth the cost.

We had a late flight after our cruise, but not as late as yours.

Enjoy your cruise

We did the same. Hoping you receive some good suggestions that I can use too! We plan to use the Valet to get rid of our bags, but what we do with ourselves after, I have no idea...

Harmony 06/02/18

Hi all! I am racking my brain trying to figure out what to do with the family after our Freedom of the Seas cruise in a few weeks. To save about $1500 on airfare we booked a 9pm from FLL back to ORD on Sunday, May 6th. I will have my wife and three kids to keep entertained all day. Renting a car is an option but I am thinking hotel/beach day might prove more relaxing. Any tips or suggestions?

I'd rent the car. There are day hotels, beaches, outlet mall, Everglades boat ride, etc. The car gives you flexibility.

I would rent a car. It is easy and cheap. Gives you a place for luggage and options. We have had similar situations several times. One time we planned to just hit the beach but rented a car anyway for luggage. It rained that day and we needed to have a plan B. We were glad we had the car. On other trips we attended a spring training game for the Nationals in Palm Beach [great fun--but, too late in the year for that now]; Drove down Highway 1 toward Key West and stopped along the way to swim; and drove to South Beach Miami. Each time it was good to have the car. Then, we ate an early dinner outside the airport. We always gave ourselves plenty of time to get back for our flight.

You have enough time to drive to the Everglades National Park and tour or take an airboat ride. We have done this a couple of times, but not after a cruise.

We did the same. Hoping you receive some good suggestions that I can use too! We plan to use the Valet to get rid of our bags, but what we do with ourselves after, I have no idea...

Harmony 06/02/18

Is luggage valet available for a flight that late?

Check your bags in first at the airport and then go about your day taking your carry ons with you?

Depending on the airline, they may not allow bag check prior to 4 hours before the flight.

In November, we had like a 3:00 p.m. flight out of FLL, so not as late as your flight. We booked an Everglades airboat alligator excursion through RCCL. They loaded our luggage into the bottom of a big air-conditioned bus and drove us to the place. We were there for a couple of hours, and then the bus drove us to the airport. It was a fun day.

Check your bags in first at the airport and then go about your day taking your carry ons with you?

FLL Airport will only let you check your baggage X number of hours before your flight. Years ago we returned early from a cruise and just hung out at the airport to wait for our flight. We weren't allowed to check our baggage for a couple of hours, so we just waited in a lounge with all of our stuff until we could check in for our flight. The lounge was designated for travelers arriving early.

My friend and I were in a similar situation and used dayuse dot com to book a hotel room for the day. We had stayed at the Hyattplace 17th street prior to our cruise, so we booked a room at that one again. It was very relaxing. We sat by the pool, had lunch and a nap. Their shuttle ran us back to the airport. I would do that again in a heartbeat! Very nice way to end a vacation.