What to expect from Travel Agent?

milesstandish

Long time lurker here. I've learned a ton of very useful information from all of you.

I have back to back cruises reserved for later this summer. Wondering what I can expect IF I turn the reservation over to a travel agent before final payment? My husband phoned a large agency (a friend recommended) and was told $25 OBC per person. That doesn't seem like a good enough incentive to "lose control" of my reservation.

So, we are wondering what has been your experience when turning a reservation over to a travel agent before final payment??

I agree $25/pp OBC doesn't seem like much, but turning over to a good T.A. will not make you lose control of your reservation. You still go directly into the cruise personlizer to make any choices you wish, enter immigration information, if you have air, you control it, you control your payment.

I turn mine over to someone on the phone from a large company. They make sure everything I want is done, I have never had to return for additional service . In return I get 7-8% back as OBC or in the case of a river cruise as a cash card for use in their stores.

I always book thru a TA. She always gives me a nice discount off what Princess is then charging.

I expect her to get me booked at the most favorable rates in a good cabin.

I expect her to contact me if there are discounts and/or perks available that may be to my benefit.

Not sure if this allowed but they asked. Feel free to take it down if against a rule....I keep an eye on pricing and if the price drops, get the lower rate for my clients. I put the docs together for my clients and laminate their luggage tags so they don't get ripped off the bag. My clients get an in room ammenity. I'm part of a large host agency so if I can get you in a group you can get the perks that group has earned, I'm there in case anything happens while you are traveling. I make sure they are aware of anything special on that ship to the best of my knowledge. (there are a ton of ships out there these days all with different rules but I research to the best of my ability and if I don't know I will find out so you don't have to wait on the phone). I help with excursions if necessary. Some clients have never been so they get my cruising tips guidelines. Stuff like that.

It depends on the TA, your relationship with them, etc. TAs who specialize in Princess can often get better rates than you'll find on line. And I don't mean $25 better. But the real reason I use a TA is her service. The agency she works for belongs to a corporate group that often has a small OBC--again, not the reason to use her.

If all I do is book a cruise, sail, and come back....well, she doesn't do much. But when I'm sitting in a Princess terminal on a Sunday morning being told that the ship isn't in from the previous cruise and no one from Princess knows anything, I suddenly got a phone call. The TA on call (not MY TA) wanted to be sure I'd gotten the e-mail from Princess and whether she could do anything. I told her I'd gotten the e-mail, and we were OK, just hungry and it seemed like a lot of work to take all our luggage, walker, braces, etc. on a taxi to somewhere....she quickly e-mailed a list of local places that delivered! OK, she didn't have any way of knowing that the police were not allowing any traffic into the terminal area, but she tried.

Or, when I'm trying to do a 24 hour ahead check in for an international flight and the system isn't working...she called the airline. The next day, I flew from my local airport to my transfer at O'Hare only to be told that I was first in line to be bumped because I hadn't done the on line check in. I called the TA who told me my rights, what the airline had to do if they bumped me, etc....and we laughed about this being why I always fly in at least a day early....oh, and let her know if I do get bumped so she can cancel the hotel in Barcelona.

I can cite several other times when she went beyond the call of duty to make things work for us. The times I appreciate the TA are those when things don't go as planned. On a normal booking, she reviews everything, makes sure we haven't forgotten anything, etc. Her payment deadline (yes, the payment goes to Princess, but I tell her to put it thru) is 2 weeks before the Princess deadline so there is no question about something not clearing or someone forgetting. She has recommended companies for shore excursions, and has answered my "do you know anything about this company?" when my daughter comes up with an activity in Japan.

I'd booked lots of cruises on another line with her, and one day I called and said, "What do you know about Princess?" And she gave me her best info.

Bottom line--on a "normal" cruise, she makes sure everything is in order and gets me the best price she can along with some OBC. But when the proverbial hits the fan, she's a lifesaver.

TAs are allowed to give discounts on Princess cruises, but cannot advertise the discounted prices. To find out if a TA does have a discounted price, you will need to contact the TA.

When picking a TA, it is best to pick one who:

a) Is reachable or who has an alternate reachable during normal working hours. Being also available on weekends is better.

b) Has no charges to you for making any changes to your booking other than cruise line charges. For example, adding a transfer, changing cabins in the same category, changing dining preference.

c) If you need to cancel, does not have any charge other than cruise line cancellation charges.

Do not expect the TA to be constantly checking for lower pricing for your cruise. That is for you to do and then contact the TA if you believe you are eligible for lower pricing.

If all I do is book a cruise' date=' sail, and come back....well, she doesn't do much. But when I'm sitting in a Princess terminal on a Sunday morning being told that the ship isn't in from the previous cruise and no one from Princess knows anything, I suddenly got a phone call. The TA on call (not MY TA) wanted to be sure I'd gotten the e-mail from Princess and whether she could do anything. I told her I'd gotten the e-mail, and we were OK, just hungry and it seemed like a lot of work to take all our luggage, walker, braces, etc. on a taxi to somewhere....she quickly e-mailed a list of local places that delivered! OK, she didn't have any way of knowing that the police were not allowing any traffic into the terminal area, but she tried.

Or, when I'm trying to do a 24 hour ahead check in for an international flight and the system isn't working...she called the airline. The next day, I flew from my local airport to my transfer at O'Hare only to be told that I was first in line to be bumped because I hadn't done the on line check in. I called the TA who told me my rights, what the airline had to do if they bumped me, etc....and we laughed about this being why I always fly in at least a day early....oh, and let her know if I do get bumped so she can cancel the hotel in Barcelona..[/quote']

When everything goes well - it doesn't seem important to have a real TA. It is when things go wrong, you realize what type of a TA you have! A good TA is priceless when you are traveling and something goes wrong.

Wondering if there are some cruises that cannot be discounted?

We have a Panama Canal cruise booked in a suite with free grats and $300 on board credit from the Princess web site.

I tried looking for an on line TA that would offer me more and have not found one. The best was $60 obc but a higher price for the suite which of course did not excite me.

We have a Panama Canal cruise booked in a suite with free grats and $300 on board credit from the Princess web site.

I tried looking for an on line TA that would offer me more and have not found one. The best was $60 obc but a higher price for the suite which of course did not excite me.

All Princess ones can be discounted up front. On lines that can't be discounted, either OBC or a check mailed to you after is what some travel agents do.

When you are looking for comparisons - make sure the agent knows you have an existing booking. Otherwise they will quote the current price which maybe higher. You can transfer an existing booking at your current rate. This obviously can't be done by using online sites where you just check rates. You need to speak to an agent or email them with your situation.

We have been on three Panama Canal cruises in the past 15 months with Princess. First two were a b2b from FLL to LAX to FLL thru the historical locks. The other was a partial transit of the new locks.

We got a nice discount on both.

Long time lurker here. I've learned a ton of very useful information from all of you.

I have back to back cruises reserved for later this summer. Wondering what I can expect IF I turn the reservation over to a travel agent before final payment? My husband phoned a large agency (a friend recommended) and was told $25 OBC per person. That doesn't seem like a good enough incentive to "lose control" of my reservation.

So, we are wondering what has been your experience when turning a reservation over to a travel agent before final payment??

As a TA we have access to certain group rates that passengers normally do not. Also TAs are a voice for you if something goes wrong or someone to call to help with a difficult situation. TAs should (not always the case) have deep knowledge about the cruising industry, insurance needs, hotel industry and so on. TAs who can say "been there, done that" should be a help to a customer. I do understand the question though and I had my own share of frustrations in the past dealing with TAs who didn't return calls, didn't follow up on a question and so on. Long story short, if you get a good TA hang on to him/her like grim death.