How Formal Is Formal?

starri

Long time forum-follower, first time RCI cruiser here.

My husband and I have cruised several times on Carnival (which has of course, a very loose dress code for good or ill), X (which we really like for the Smart Casual and Chic nights) and have another cruise booked on NCL (catch as catch can). We know RCI still hews to the traditional formal nights, and we understand and respect those that like them, though we do not.

We're booked on the Anthem 8-night next January, and I'm guessing there are going to be two nights, day 2 and 6 based on comments that I've read here. We're booked for MTD, and I was wondering if American Icon and Silk also follow the Formal nights. From what I understand (and I may be completely wrong about this), The Grande is formal every night. We don't have any problem with booking a specialty (probably Wonderland and Jamie's Italian) for the formal nights, but were just curious.

Not trying to turn this into a dress code war, just looking for information.

My husband and I have cruised several times on Carnival (which has of course, a very loose dress code for good or ill), X (which we really like for the Smart Casual and Chic nights) and have another cruise booked on NCL (catch as catch can). We know RCI still hews to the traditional formal nights, and we understand and respect those that like them, though we do not.

We're booked on the Anthem 8-night next January, and I'm guessing there are going to be two nights, day 2 and 6 based on comments that I've read here. We're booked for MTD, and I was wondering if American Icon and Silk also follow the Formal nights. From what I understand (and I may be completely wrong about this), The Grande is formal every night. We don't have any problem with booking a specialty (probably Wonderland and Jamie's Italian) for the formal nights, but were just curious.

You are reading old info about Grande being formal every night. That stopped a couple of years ago. Anthem is like most other RC ships now where they have 2 formal nights for 7 (and 8) night cruise. All of the "free" restaurants have the same dress suggestions, and serve the same food from the same menu that changes nightly.

RC does not enforce dress suggestions, so you will see the full range of attire, from shorts to tuxedos.

So you know, Grande is no longer the "formal" dining room- it's just another dining area. One floor is for regular dining the other for My Time.

Formality, in all of the arguments that are constantly being made, is more up to you than any real guidelines. So if you want to take something special, you can, and if you don't- you can also do that. I like having "formal" casual- so jacket, slack, and some interesting shirt/bow tie combo. My wife has some really neat medium and long dresses- all of which are super easy for us to pack.

We were on Allure in March, and for formal nights, we (my 2 teenage sons and myself) simply put on khaki pants and polos, and while some were more dressed up, we were not out of place, as many were much lower dressed. We wore khaki shorts the other nights.

Bottom line, dress how you like. Some people will want to tell you how to dress, but in the end, you should be fine as long as you look presentable.

Wear what you're comfortable wearing. Comfortable/formal for a cowboy may be jeans and boots, while for an executive will be a tux/suit. My DH usually wears khaki's and a button down shirt. I wear a plain knee-length dress, nothing fancy, or black slacks and a nice top.

It's not formal. If you don't want to feel out of place, then don't wear shorts and a t-shirt on formal night. Pants or jeans and a polo and you'll be dressed similar to 30% - 50% of the dining room even on formal night.

Thanks for all the helpful and friendly advice, truly. We're just not jacket and tie people, although I'd like to think we have enough manners not to try and show up in shorts (if for no other reason than every MDR we've ever been in is freezing).

I'd more likely opt for long-sleeved collared shirts, just because I have tattoos and I know that's also a sensitive area.

I usually tell people now not to dress up too much. I don't mind dressing up, but it's kind of annoying showing up to "formal" venues and being the only one wearing a jacket and tie. Makes me appear a lot stuffier than I am. ;)

Especially since whichever company they're going with for photography now is absolutely terrible (seriously guys, flat straight-on lighting doesn't do anyone any favors) there's no point in bothering with being too formal.

No worries! On RCCL ships there is no need to dress formally in the main dining room on Formal nights. :)

I'd agree with you normally but when we sailed out of Dubai formal night was pretty much 100% complied with both nights and no one appeared to change during the evening.

I even saw tuxedos and ball gowns in the Windjammer when I popped in to get some ice cream for our son.

1) get out of MTD unless you want to spend your whole cruise waiting for a table.

2) formal means wear clothes. Nobody cares what that means anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1) get out of MTD unless you want to spend your whole cruise waiting for a table.

2) formal means wear clothes. Nobody cares what that means anymore.

I have done 2 cruises over the past 1 1/2 years, and never experienced a wait for MTD of more than 5 minutes. If you go without reservations and go between the seatings, you may have a wait, but just plan around it.

We were on the Quantum,sister ship of the Anthem. On Formal Nights I saw several men in shorts and tee shirts .

I have been on 6 RCI cruises in the past 3 years .On Formal nights I wear khaki's or chinos and a knit or button down shirt .My estimation is that less than 5 % wore a tuxedo.

Hell no. I’ll wait 15-20 minutes over a fixed dining time, any day.

I agree.

5 mins is nothing

Now if it was an hour.

Back to formal.

On RCI out of Florida anything goes.

From wife beaters to tux to full military dress seen it all.

The Indian gent in a wife beater vest would take some topping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree.

5 mins is nothing

Now if it was an hour.

Obviously there are limits, but so far, as long as you make reservations and go sometime near them, it seems there is just not a huge wait.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

I’ve only been on Anthem and Liberty and both sailings I saw everything from shorts to tuxedos and ball gowns on formal nights so I would say do what you like. My spouse and I always dress up but that’s because we both wear uniforms every day for work and enjoy the opportunity to have a reason to dress up, but whatever you choose to wear you should blend in!

I agree.

5 mins is nothing

Now if it was an hour.

Back to formal.

On RCI out of Florida anything goes.

From wife beaters to tux to full military dress seen it all.

The Indian gent in a wife beater vest would take some topping

Wow. I hate waiting. Especially on vacation. But now I see why MTD works!

After years of cruising with RC and adhering to long gowns and suits, we are thrilled with the more relaxed "suggested" guidelines. We will stick stick with slacks and a nice blouse or a casual dress for the women and slacks and collared shirt for the men, we are leaving the long gowns and suits at home. :D