Impact of B2B cruises with Centrelink

Don't get me started on Centrelink, but I will. My wife and are past aged pension age but we don't get a cent of aged pension from Centrelink because of my 'defined benefit' State Super Pension, it is a fixed fortnightly income stream for life, subject to CPI. We just squeezed in the Commonwealth Seniors Health Card for travel, cheap pills etc. Forget about Doctors bulk billing down here, full freight, $80.:o:(

What Aussies have to remember is...'There is no inherent right to an Aged Pension.:evilsmile: It will eventually fade away anyway.

As for people surviving entirely on the aged pension, doing the cruising, I am stuffed if I know how they can afford it.

Good for you Les . As for those on a full pension being able to cruise, I don't know how they could do it either.

Good for you Les . As for those on a full pension being able to cruise, I don't know how they could do it either.

If you are healthy, own your own home, don't smoke, drink (to excess), or play the pokies, and then you can't save up $1000-$2000 per year then you really aren't trying.

$2000/yr is putting aside about $40/week.;)

You can go a long way on $2000 with P&O, especially if you bargain hunt.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

Possibly but not for more than 6 weeks.

Well, if we are going from the general back to the specific, it could be prior savings or a gift.

Maybe they sold an unneeded car, who knows?:confused:

All I'm saying is that it is not necessarily much of a stretch on the pension to go for one or even two cruises per year. More the longer you save of course.

Well, if we are going from the general back to the specific, it could be prior savings or a gift.

Maybe they sold an unneeded car, who knows?:confused:

All I'm saying is that it is not necessarily much of a stretch on the pension to go for one or even two cruises per year. More the longer you save of course.

Yes, of course, there may be many ways someone could have the money for an extended cruising holiday.

And my super scheme was compulsory Mic, had to pay into it every fortnight for 36 years, 19 to 55, but reaping the rewards now.:') Been retired 15 years, spent a motza but who cares.

If you are healthy, own your own home, don't smoke, drink (to excess), or play the pokies, and then you can't save up $1000-$2000 per year then you really aren't trying.

$2000/yr is putting aside about $40/week.;)

You can go a long way on $2000 with P&O, especially if you bargain hunt.

$2000 ?? Ye Gods, our adventures cost us 20 to 30 grand, trouble is I hit the business class and mini suite buttons on the 'puter, I must stop doing that. SKI - Spend Kids Inheritance.:rolleyes::halo:

$2000 ?? Ye Gods, our adventures cost us 20 to 30 grand, trouble is I hit the business class and mini suite buttons on the 'puter, I must stop doing that. SKI - Spend Kids Inheritance.:rolleyes::halo:

LOL, Ski away Les, they can have what is left (if any) when you are finished exploring.:D

Why would you fly business and then go on a Princess cruise?

Well, we don’t drink alcohol. we are diamond plus with Royal so collect three free cans of soda each evening to enjoy the next day. Gratuities included

Well it seems to me that you are being very canny and frugal. The fact that you can still enjoy a lot of time on pleasant sea voyages sounds like a great thing. I suspect that most people would spend more than the $476 or so you are spending a week just sitting at home.

Geez, I don't know what all the fuss is about. There's many ways to pay for a cruise...even a long one. Everyone's financial position is different. It's can also be easy to pay for a cruise if you are on an age pension...if you have other assets or funds, as you are entitled to have. For example, a couple who rent can have about $580,000 in cash and assets...and still get the full pension. That's a few cruises. But bear in mind, any of those assets that are cash are deemed to be earning income, which can reduce your pension. So, perhaps there's not many little old ladies in a state rental, with no other assets, on a cruise...but it's certainly possible for many...and quite legitimately so.

The secret to cruising on the full aged pension is as follows :-

Own your home and everything in it, own your car and anything else you have.

Don't play poker machines, bet on horses, or spend too much on Lotto.

Don't try keeping up with the Jones's when it comes to smart phones, lose your addiction to using smart phones and realise how little you really need one, then go on a 365 day prepaid plan, ours cost us $20.00/year and we don't use all of that because we use our free calls on our NBN landline.

Don't smoke! That is a hell of an expensive habit that we gave away 6 years ago.

We still have regular drinks at home, usually a bottle of wine each night . We buy our wine from a wholesaler 3 cases at a time for red and a case at a time for whites. I have 2 Scotch and Soda each night pre dinner, Johnny walker Black Label which retails for up to $57.00/700ml bottle, but if you wait until it is on special, usually $40.00, and buy by the case there is a $204.00 saving and you're still drinking good Scotch.

Shop smart, we have a pantry and on items we use we stock up when they are on special. You can save quite a few hundred dollars a year by doing this.

....and last of all, do you really need Foxtel?

Why would you fly business and then go on a Princess cruise?

How else am I going to get to Europe or the Americas to get on the good Princess ships and go to different places? Done the Pacific Islands and NZ, over that. I like Princess, they do my Laundry.:rolleyes:

How else am I going to get to Europe or the Americas to get on the good Princess ships and go to different places? Done the Pacific Islands and NZ, over that. I like Princess, they do my Laundry.:rolleyes:

Good on you Les. Go for it !!:cool:

Some great tips, and very sensible.

Very sensible, in particular the alcohol plan, although I buy the Aldi Scotch for $27 to accompany the Schweppes Dry Ginger Ale. I would prefer to partake the JW Black with a little ice.:hearteyes:

Buy Scotch by the case, the more you drink the more you save concept, my view indeed.

I/We don't smoke, don't have pay TV and buy our vino on line from 1st Choice Liquor with free delivery over $150. Way to go. We don't have Dan Murphy or 1st Choice down here, but Coles, Woollies and Aldi have a good selection of booze.

Thanks, if you can afford to do it, want to do it and can do it, Do it !!!:')

Life is too short.:(

Agree. My children have been easing me in to a life of luxury, after a frugal life, saying things like "Mum, You'll have to get used to taking taxis". As I am a quick learner, I have progressed to having a car meet me overseas, with the driver holding up my name on a piece of cardboard - now that is luxury!

Agree. My children have been easing me in to a life of luxury, after a frugal life, saying things like "Mum, You'll have to get used to taking taxis". As I am a quick learner, I have progressed to having a car meet me overseas, with the driver holding up my name on a piece of cardboard - now that is luxury!

Yes, one feels like a movie star or Royalty when you see the driver with the sign bearing ones names.:halo: Way to go.

The secret to cruising on the full aged pension is as follows :-

Own your home and everything in it, own your car and anything else you have.

Don't play poker machines, bet on horses, or spend too much on Lotto.

Don't try keeping up with the Jones's when it comes to smart phones, lose your addiction to using smart phones and realise how little you really need one, then go on a 365 day prepaid plan, ours cost us $20.00/year and we don't use all of that because we use our free calls on our NBN landline.

Don't smoke! That is a hell of an expensive habit that we gave away 6 years ago.

We still have regular drinks at home, usually a bottle of wine each night . We buy our wine from a wholesaler 3 cases at a time for red and a case at a time for whites. I have 2 Scotch and Soda each night pre dinner, Johnny walker Black Label which retails for up to $57.00/700ml bottle, but if you wait until it is on special, usually $40.00, and buy by the case there is a $204.00 saving and you're still drinking good Scotch.

Shop smart, we have a pantry and on items we use we stock up when they are on special. You can save quite a few hundred dollars a year by doing this.

....and last of all, do you really need Foxtel?

:') Reading this I realised it describes my mum's life, except for the alcohol, because of my mum's medication she doesn't drink alcohol or coffee and very little tea.

Our solution instead of business class is to have stop overs where we get out for a few days. We found out if you plan it right a return economy with stop over costs the same as a return business class flight (especially to Europe) with the advantage you get more sightseeing;). I guess it comes down to preference but my mum once got an upgrade to business class and she hated it:') despite having a lie flat bed she couldn't sleep because everyone around her kept ordering food and drink (mostly drink;p) and the constant movement and lights going on and off kept disturbing her sleep (my mum is a very light sleeper) so stop overs really are the best option for us:cool:.

Why not go upmarket with the cruise as well as the flight?

All the luxury ships and yachts will do your laundry for you.

Sometimes it is actually more economical if you consider time and your health (stress and sore muscles) as part of the cost .

Yes. I’m heading to Europe in a few weeks and we have transfers booked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is only true if you either -

a) pay extra for laundry

b) have reached a certain number of cruise days and you get laundry as a loyalty reward. The number of days required depends on the cruise line.

This is based on my experience with various luxury lines.

Julie

Business Class flights have a bit to do with my medical condition. I am happy with Princess, done 400 odd days with them, so have had the Black Elite Card since 2008, hence the free laundry and the other loyalty benefits. In my view Princess is a solid middle of the road cruise line.;p