What broadway play?

George C

For those who may not have seen the news, Disney+ has just stopped offering its 7-day free trial.  Smart move by them, with "Hamilton" set to start streaming on July 3.  Back when they announced the Hamilton streaming, I expected they'd get rid of the free trial before then  -- too many people would have taken advantage of it just to watch Hamilton, and then unsubscribed.  Frankly, at $6.99/month, I think it will be worth it even if you just watch Hamilton once.   Heck, service charges for theatre tickets are more than that.  (And yes of course, I realize this will be different from live theatre.)

https://www.engadget.com/disney-plus-no-free-trial-period-193920637.html?fbclid=IwAR0UxLHNl_GLm2MXE6H5LOfjhiqUDixSktKTfyW36_41xkhNvUHsrmD_upM

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

@markeb, sorry about that trip.  ☹️

We actually had a great time. Saw the London production of Hamilton, which was amazing, as well as Come From Away. We'd seen both before, but Hamilton in particular just seems to require multiple trips; it's just so fast you can't keep up.

We'd debated on Les Mis for a third show. The first time we saw it was in 1995, in London, at the Palace Theatre, so it would have had meaning, but ultimately it was "we can do it next year"...  Not looking likely, for a number of reasons.

1 hour ago, markeb said:

I suspect (and fear) you're right.

We could have seen the new production of Les Mis in London over the Christmas/New Year holiday. We really have no idea now when we'll get back there...

My wife’s sister has a very good friend who is an actor.In between shows he acts on Law and Order since it is filmed in NYC .Now he can’t even do that.

55 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I would not be surprised either.   (There are too many people who seem to be living in an alternate reality, though, who probably think they should be able to go to the theatre this summer.)

@markeb, sorry about that trip.  ☹️

There is a theater around the corner from where I live .Normally I would have the option to see a production there.They closed their doors in early March .They May never re-open.

50 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

For those who may not have seen the news, Disney+ has just stopped offering its 7-day free trial.  Smart move by them, with "Hamilton" set to start streaming on July 3.  Back when they announced the Hamilton streaming, I expected they'd get rid of the free trial before then  -- too many people would have taken advantage of it just to watch Hamilton, and then unsubscribed.  Frankly, at $6.99/month, I think it will be worth it even if you just watch Hamilton once.   Heck, service charges for theatre tickets are more than that.  (And yes of course, I realize this will be different from live theatre.)

https://www.engadget.com/disney-plus-no-free-trial-period-193920637.html?fbclid=IwAR0UxLHNl_GLm2MXE6H5LOfjhiqUDixSktKTfyW36_41xkhNvUHsrmD_upM

I'm trying to figure out the "easiest" way to get Disney+ with Xfinity. No native Disney+ app on the X1, and I run everything through HDMI to a Marantz receiver and B&W speakers. You can't get to Disney+ through the Amazon Prime app on the X1, although you can get Disney+ on the Amazon Fire Stick. Which I can probably plug into an HDMI slot on the receiver and still get sound through my system. Although all the easy instructions are to plug it directly into the TV. Which defeats the sound system I spent real money on!

We need to drop most of our cable channels anyway!

53 minutes ago, markeb said:

We actually had a great time. Saw the London production of Hamilton, which was amazing, as well as Come From Away. We'd seen both before, but Hamilton in particular just seems to require multiple trips; it's just so fast you can't keep up.

We'd debated on Les Mis for a third show. The first time we saw it was in 1995, in London, at the Palace Theatre, so it would have had meaning, but ultimately it was "we can do it next year"...  Not looking likely, for a number of reasons.

Ah, I misread your earlier post -- didn't realize you were talking about a prior trip on which you'd passed on Les Miz.

London was where we first saw "Hamilton" (with the original London cast), and it was simply a phenomenal place to see this show (except for the total lack of leg room in our premium seats!).   We've seen it four times since (all in the U.S.), and I see and/or hear something new every time.   Ironically, the last show we saw before the pandemic shut everything down was "Hamilton" in San Francisco at the end of January.   

"Come From Away" hadn't yet opened in London when we were last there or we might well have seen it there too.  (We are big fans.)

I do hope you get back to see Les Miz in London....

27 minutes ago, markeb said:

I'm trying to figure out the "easiest" way to get Disney+ with Xfinity. No native Disney+ app on the X1,

Yup, we have the X1 as well. We’ve added Disney+ on our Roku box.  

I’ve also added the Disney+ app to my iPad. Not that it’s the device on which I’ll watch Hamilton, but it’s pretty incredible to think about being able to download the entire show onto it. 😀

On 6/20/2020 at 6:04 PM, markeb said:

I'm trying to figure out the "easiest" way to get Disney+ with Xfinity. No native Disney+ app on the X1, and I run everything through HDMI to a Marantz receiver and B&W speakers. You can't get to Disney+ through the Amazon Prime app on the X1, although you can get Disney+ on the Amazon Fire Stick. Which I can probably plug into an HDMI slot on the receiver and still get sound through my system. Although all the easy instructions are to plug it directly into the TV. Which defeats the sound system I spent real money on!

We need to drop most of our cable channels anyway!

I’m sure you’ve already looked into whether you can get Disney+ directly on your TV itself. We have a Sony, and I just installed Disney+ on it.  (This bypasses our X1.) 

My tickets for Music Man on December 3 are moved to June 30. There is an option to change, but would have to give up tickets first. It's  a  month after opening night ,so would hope Hugh Jackman would be there. Going to NYC first week in December and last week in June is a total different trip.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pmorton3360 said:

My tickets for Music Man on December 3 are moved to June 30. There is an option to change, but would have to give up tickets first. It's  a  month after opening night ,so would hope Hugh Jackman would be there. Going to NYC first week in December and last week in June is a total different trip.

We had tix for the Friday night of Thanksgiving weekend this year.  They moved us to a random Friday night in June, we switched it easily to Memorial Day weekend when we hope NYC is open.  Actually moved up a few rows and a bit nearer the center for no additional $$

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We had tix for the Friday night of Thanksgiving weekend this year.  They moved us to a random Friday night in June, we switched it easily to Memorial Day weekend when we hope NYC is open.  Actually moved up a few rows and a bit nearer the center for no additional $$

I was afraid to give up my tickets and try for earlier. Was I missing the way to do it? We would love to go in May. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Pmorton3360 said:

I was afraid to give up my tickets and try for earlier. Was I missing the way to do it? We would love to go in May. Thanks 

My wife did the transaction and said it was quite easy.  There was a link in the email that was sent notifying of the change in dates

Thank you. I got my new tickets for May 25. So far away. I had to recharge. Hope they credit the old tickets. Now to book other plays. Still haven't seen Dear Evan Hanson. Have to see what this new era of Broadway will bring.

21 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

If things continue in NYC the way they are going now a lot of out of towners will not be coming into the city due to personal safety concerns.

As soon as bars , restaurants and broadway reopen we will be there. Right now we can’t visit any area of New York since we would have to stay quarantine for two weeks. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

As soon as bars , restaurants and broadway reopen we will be there. Right now we can’t visit any area of New York since we would have to stay quarantine for two weeks. 

NYC was supposed to be in Phase 3 on Monday but that was pushed back.