What broadway play?

George C

On 9/11/2020 at 11:21 AM, George C said:

RIP to Diana Riggs TV, movie and broadway star would have loved to have seen her on broadway she was in My Fair Lady before everything shutdown. 

Diana Rigg was best known as Mrs.Peel in the TV series,The Avengers even though she began her acting career in the theater.

23 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Diana Rigg was best known as Mrs.Peel in the TV series,The Avengers even though she began her acting career in the theater.

Even looking at just Wikipedia is impressive for an amazing career on stage, screen, and television!

But my favorite, much though I loved Emma Peel, is Countess Teresa di Vicenzo, otherwise known, for about an  hour (maybe 10-15 minutes screen time), as Tracy Bond, the only Bond "girl" to marry James Bond. We have all the time in the world...

59 minutes ago, markeb said:

Even looking at just Wikipedia is impressive for an amazing career on stage, screen, and television!

But my favorite, much though I loved Emma Peel, is Countess Teresa di Vicenzo, otherwise known, for about an  hour (maybe 10-15 minutes screen time), as Tracy Bond, the only Bond "girl" to marry James Bond. We have all the time in the world...

I never saw that Bond film .

If you are a true James Bond fan you should know the first name of Dr.No .I have yet to meet anyone who did .I did not either until I googled it some time ago.

6 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I never saw that Bond film .

If you are a true James Bond fan you should know the first name of Dr.No .I have yet to meet anyone who did .I did not either until I googled it some time ago.

I did not. Looks like it's only used in the book. I always found the books somewhat difficult to read...

If you're a Diana Rigg fan, you really should watch "In Her Majesty's Secret Service". It's George Lazenby's only appearance as Bond, Telly Savalas is the villain, and Diana Rigg may have been at the top of her game. She'd just finished the Avengers, She was probably 30 when they filmed it, she was arguably one of the most attractive actors out there, and she had the acting ability to carry the role, and a lot of the movie. It is a 1969 Bond movie, so there are crazy parts, but the scenes with Tracy (at least all I can remember) are all great. I may have to see if it's on Netflix or Prime.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

I did not. Looks like it's only used in the book. I always found the books somewhat difficult to read...

If you're a Diana Rigg fan, you really should watch "In Her Majesty's Secret Service". It's George Lazenby's only appearance as Bond, Telly Savalas is the villain, and Diana Rigg may have been at the top of her game. She'd just finished the Avengers, She was probably 30 when they filmed it, she was arguably one of the most attractive actors out there, and she had the acting ability to carry the role, and a lot of the movie. It is a 1969 Bond movie, so there are crazy parts, but the scenes with Tracy (at least all I can remember) are all great. I may have to see if it's on Netflix or Prime.

A friend of mine believed that From Russia to Love was the best Bond film primarily because of the acting of Lotte Lenya and Robert Shaw.

1 minute ago, lenquixote66 said:

A friend of mine believed that From Russia to Love was the best Bond film primarily because of the acting of Lotte Lenya and Robert Shaw.

That, and it was the transitional Bond between Dr. No and Goldfinger. You have the opening sequence, a title song, the super villain (and SPECTRE), the amazing scenery in Istanbul, and the ending with the Bond girl. But also 90% of the movie in between is believable. Goldfinger tops most lists, but it makes the jump into action and fantasy, and they kind of never go back.

I was just curious. Google turns up a couple of never produced stage ideas for Bond. And actually something called James Bond: The Musical on Strand Way, which is advertised as some sort of parody. Once the movies started, it would have been very difficult to produce a play based on any of Fleming's novels.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

That, and it was the transitional Bond between Dr. No and Goldfinger. You have the opening sequence, a title song, the super villain (and SPECTRE), the amazing scenery in Istanbul, and the ending with the Bond girl. But also 90% of the movie in between is believable. Goldfinger tops most lists, but it makes the jump into action and fantasy, and they kind of never go back.

I was just curious. Google turns up a couple of never produced stage ideas for Bond. And actually something called James Bond: The Musical on Strand Way, which is advertised as some sort of parody. Once the movies started, it would have been very difficult to produce a play based on any of Fleming's novels.

My favorite Bond film is Dr.No because it introduced us to a new character that we never experienced previously.

James Bond the musical is something I hope there will never be but it is likely to be a show of the future.I never believed that there would be a musical about Princess Diana

35 minutes ago, markeb said:

I always thought Goldfinger was the best I have a boxed set of all the James Bond movies, most likely next time I go to the movies will be when the new and Daniel Craig’s last comes out. I was huge fan of Diana Riggs from the avengers days playing Emma Peel to her role in Game of Thorns . Also read all the James Bond books in the 1960’s , enjoy watching all the movies that was shot in Jamaica and rest of Caribbean and Nassau. 

In 1967 my wife and I went to a Saturday matinee to the Cort Theater on Broadway to see a show starring Michael J. Pollard that was in previews.I believe that our seat in row C of the orchestra was $5 a ticket.The show played in preview but never opened possibly due to its theme. It was Leda had a Little Swan.I could be wrong but I do not believe that there was a show before or after on Broadway with the same theme.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/3/2020 at 4:21 PM, Turtles06 said:

I streamed “Hamilton” early this morning. (I’ve seen it five times in the theatre.) Obviously, no film can substitute for live theatre, but I particularly enjoyed closeups that could only be seen from angles shot on the stage when there was no audience. It’s gorgeously filmed.  There are a few things I would have preferred they’d shot differently/wider, but it’s so wonderful to have this available now.

And it’s just bizarre to think that I can watch “Hamilton” right now, whenever I want. Truly, the world turned upside down. 

Broadway theaters will be closed till at least June 21,2021.It was announced today.

27 minutes ago, George C said:

N.Y. Times also said 5/30 as earliest date . Most likely will need a vaccine before they reopen.

Even when they re-open it will be a mess. Many of the off and off Broadway theaters have been forced to close.In the 1960’s and 1970’s there were hundreds of wonderful off off Broadway theaters that offered wonderful productions such as the Greenwich Mews and the HB studios theater. One of my friends,a retired stage actress was in many great productions with wonderful Directors that the world may not know but the acting community does.My wife and I went to more than 100 of these shows.

• 1 month later...

I would usually see a show/play before my cruises or a concert. My tickets for the music man are now for June, 2022.  Some of my favorites were The Band's Visit, It's Only a Play, a few others will come to mind. The last thing I saw was Dear Evan Hansen (won $150 in the lottery and decided to see a show vs getting more lottery!). after going to see the Eagles at MSG>.

I was supposed to see Tina in May before my cruise on the NCL Encore. -My favorite NYC hotel (Times Square Hilton) closed as well.

Have those of you with tickets kept them (if not cancelled)- besides the Music Man i kept a few Billy Joel tickets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pmorton3360 said:

I've kept the Music Man tickets for February 2022. My sister is to go with me, but now she's nervous to go to NYC. I live in Baltimore, so just a 2 hour train ride. Can't wait to see a play or sail again.  Had another cruise canceled this week.

Would love to see music man,  we were supposed to cruise this weekend on msc yacht club. Hopefully we can get to New York for July 4th weekend which is my wife’s birthday.

On 11/26/2020 at 11:08 AM, George C said:

Would love to see music man,  we were supposed to cruise this weekend on msc yacht club. Hopefully we can get to New York for July 4th weekend which is my wife’s birthday.

We were supposed to cruise from Bayonne leaving December 7.I was reading the paperwork for the cruise a while ago.I really miss cruising.

3 hours ago, George C said:

We saw The Prom on our last trip to New York in 2019, excellent play , very funny , new movie version is on Netflix on 12/11 ,, excellent cast Meryl Streep , James Corden and Nicole Kidman and others . 

We saw The Prom last year too.The reviews of the movie are not that good.

13 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

I expect it will be fun and we'll wonder why James Corden is in it.  And we saw him in 1 Man, 2 Guvners and loved him in that.

I love James Corden and started watching  “1 Man” when it was streaming a few months ago, and really wanted to like it, but I just couldn’t get into it.  I wonder if it’s something that really needs to be seen live. (I had the same reaction to “By Jeeves.”  Loved it so much in the theatre that I went back to see it again, but couldn’t watch it streaming.)

• Like 1