What broadway play?

George C

12 minutes ago, George C said:

Do you go to restaurants in your area? You talked about 15 percent indoor dinning I would imagine that they are struggling.

I have not been to a restaurant since Feb.8,2020.However,I live in a small town and I would know if a restaurant was closing.

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

15 percent indoor dining.However,in the warm weather all of the live music is outdoors.

29 minutes ago, George C said:

Do you go to restaurants in your area? You talked about 15 percent indoor dinning I would imagine that they are struggling.

I don't believe the 15% figure is correct. In NY State outside of NY City I believe the capacity restriction is currently 50%, and at times has been 25%. In Ny City indoor dining is currently prohibited but will resume at 25% capacity on Feb. 14. 

In any event I've never seen 15% used anywhere I'm familiar with. 25% or 50% have been the typical capacity restrictions.

I also never heard of 15 percent but could be a local weird restriction. I know Buffalo ny had restaurants closed for a long time , Dallas went from zero up to 75 now back to 50. But even with the restrictions some people like Lenny and several of my friends who live in Long Island just do not go to restaurants or at least indoor restaurants. Luckily government has been giving assistance to many of these restaurants.

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

I don't believe the 15% figure is correct. In NY State outside of NY City I believe the capacity restriction is currently 50%, and at times has been 25%. In Ny City indoor dining is currently prohibited but will resume at 25% capacity on Feb. 14. 

In any event I've never seen 15% used anywhere I'm familiar with. 25% or 50% have been the typical capacity restrictions.

Governor Cuomo is increasing indoor dining effective Valentine’s Day to 25%.

We received an e-mail in the latter part of 2020 from a nearby restaurant stating indoor dining is at 15%.Could it just be their policy ? I tend to doubt it.

15 hours ago, George C said:

I also never heard of 15 percent but could be a local weird restriction. I know Buffalo ny had restaurants closed for a long time , Dallas went from zero up to 75 now back to 50. But even with the restrictions some people like Lenny and several of my friends who live in Long Island just do not go to restaurants or at least indoor restaurants. Luckily government has been giving assistance to many of these restaurants.

George,see my response to NJ Horseman.I know his first name from having met him on a cruise but since he never posts his name I am referring to him by his CC name.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Governor Cuomo is increasing indoor dining effective Valentine’s Day to 25%.

We received an e-mail in the latter part of 2020 from a nearby restaurant stating indoor dining is at 15%.Could it just be their policy ? I tend to doubt it.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

George,see my response to NJ Horseman.I know his first name from having met him on a cruise but since he never posts his name I am referring to him by his CC name.

I was unable to find anything from Cuomo's past orders with a 15% restriction. 25%, yes 50%, yes , and currently no indoor dining at all in NYC, with 25% capacity in NYC being allowed effective 2/14.  I any event 15% sounds somewhat strange.

Lenny: my name is Paul.

Going back to plays, just saw they’re filming a live performance, presumably without audience, of Come From Away in May. Probably a streaming release, but the info I saw wasn’t completely clear.

Pretty sure if they’d imagined the show’s success, they’d have done this before the shutdown, but at least they’re doing it!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, markeb said:

Going back to plays, just saw they’re filming a live performance, presumably without audience, of Come From Away in May. Probably a streaming release, but the info I saw wasn’t completely clear.

Pretty sure if they’d imagined the show’s success, they’d have done this before the shutdown, but at least they’re doing it!

Thanks for this news!

Just did a quick Google search; a September release is expected.  I agree with you, they must be intending to stream it.

"The performance will be filmed in May at the Gerald Schoenfeld Theatre, where the musical opened in 2017 and continued to play up until last March (when all Broadway shows went dark due to the pandemic). It is expected to be released in September."

https://www.playbill.com/article/broadway-cast-of-come-from-away-to-return-for-live-capture-of-the-musical

• Like 1

On 2/2/2021 at 4:40 PM, njhorseman said:

I was unable to find anything from Cuomo's past orders with a 15% restriction. 25%, yes 50%, yes , and currently no indoor dining at all in NYC, with 25% capacity in NYC being allowed effective 2/14.  I any event 15% sounds somewhat strange.

Lenny: my name is Paul.

Paul,when you and I met on a cruise several years ago we introduced ourselves to each other .I remember that you were Paul and I remember your wife’s name.

As far as the 15 %,several restaurants in my area had a 15 % indoor dining rule.Presumably their choice and not a mandate by Cuomo.

On 2/2/2021 at 8:45 PM, George C said:

Another broadway legend just passed Hal Holbrook , never saw him act on broadway but in 1992 bought half price tkts for a Judd Hirsch play Conversation with my father and he was sitting a couple of seats away.

Regarding actors and sitting near them in a theater.Approximately 20 years ago my wife and I went to an off,off,Bway play at a theatre with 100 seats.The bathrooms had a maximum of two at a time.Next to me in the urinal was Eli Wallach.We conversed for a few minutes while washing our hands.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/25/2021 at 12:38 PM, George C said:

Mayor now expects broadway to open in full by September hopefully this is true ,definitely want to do New York trip as soon as that happens . 

Yes,but there will still be restrictions.The theater cannot be more than 25% full and people must sit 6 feet apart and wear masks.

And last I looked Australia wouldn't let me in no matter how badly I wanted to see Hamilton and Come From Away again. I miss Broadway and the West End! And good food in both places. And Australia has apparently developed quite the culinary scene as well!

the world turned upside down...

7 hours ago, markeb said:

And last I looked Australia wouldn't let me in no matter how badly I wanted to see Hamilton and Come From Away again. I miss Broadway and the West End! And good food in both places. And Australia has apparently developed quite the culinary scene as well!

as long as none of us "miss our shots", I wouldn't be surprised if things open up slightly more quickly than feared.  But that does require us to keep masking up and distancing until we are safely vaccinated.  And things aren't heading in that direction right now.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, markeb said:

Not that I was planning a flight  😊 . . .  but I'd only been focused on all the press about the 14-day quarantine upon arrival to Australia, which made me think one could travel there, not that there was a broad entry ban.  You are of course correct about the "keep out" rules.   There is a way to apply for an exemption, which I imagine is how Hamilton producer Jeffrey Sellers got there, but I suspect that "I really want to go a show and also have some great meals" probably won't cut it. 🤣

Seriously, I really admire Australia for what it has done to keep its people safe, and now to be able to resume their lives to such a large extent. 

21 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

And then we have Australia, where live theatre has resumed, and where "Hamilton" has just opened in Sydney -- the only place on the planet where it is being performed.

Hamilton producer Jeffrey Sellers had a great deal to say about this.

https://variety.com/2021/legit/global/hamilton-jeffrey-sellers-1234939993/

Judith:

I was just announced that "Hamilton" is scheduled for a run at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia from October 20, 2021 through November 28, 2021.

https://www.kimmelcenter.org/events-and-tickets/202122/broadway-philadelphia/hamilton/#/close

26 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Judith:

I was just announced that "Hamilton" is scheduled for a run at the Kimmel Center in Philadelphia from October 20, 2021 through November 28, 2021.

https://www.kimmelcenter.org/events-and-tickets/202122/broadway-philadelphia/hamilton/#/close

Hi Paul, that's very interesting.  I notice that tickets are only available as part of their subscription package.  It's hard to believe they will be able to pull this off in the Fall, but I hope they can.  

I hope you are both well. 

On 3/29/2021 at 4:13 PM, Turtles06 said:

And then we have Australia, where live theatre has resumed, and where "Hamilton" has just opened in Sydney -- the only place on the planet where it is being performed.

Hamilton producer Jeffrey Sellers had a great deal to say about this.

https://variety.com/2021/legit/global/hamilton-jeffrey-sellers-1234939993/

Playbill .com is streaming a theatrical production currently for $12 a ticket.

On 3/25/2021 at 12:38 PM, George C said:

Mayor now expects broadway to open in full by September hopefully this is true ,definitely want to do New York trip as soon as that happens . 

It was announced last night that theaters will not be opening at any time in the near future because they would lose money due to the Covid restrictions.

On 4/2/2021 at 3:08 PM, lenquixote66 said:

It was announced last night that theaters will not be opening at any time in the near future because they would lose money due to the Covid restrictions.

Nothing like a firm date like any time in the near future, still believe some will open this year, but might need to miss nyc again this year since I only visit when it’s warmer. 

1 hour ago, George C said:

Nothing like a firm date like any time in the near future, still believe some will open this year, but might need to miss nyc again this year since I only visit when it’s warmer. 

These theaters will recover but regional theaters and off Broadway theaters will be closed permanently.