What broadway play?

George C

22 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Yes, many times, it’s fabulous. 

This reminds me of something similiar.In 2000 the son of a friend from college got married.At the wedding one of the guests got up and said that he has been a long time friend of the father of the groom and he would like to sing a song.He said that he sang with a group called the Belmonts.However,he needed someone to sing with him and called the grooms father to join him.Most people did not know that my friend had a great voice and the reaction was precious.

17 minutes ago, George C said:

Just saw new movie “ in the heights”  never saw the play , but a fantastic movie , currently in the movies and free on hbo/max.

It looks great for sure........it is at the movie theaters now too.

26 minutes ago, George C said:

Just saw new movie “ in the heights”  never saw the play , but a fantastic movie , currently in the movies and free on hbo/max.

I streamed it the other night on HBO Max.  Like you, I had not seen it on stage.  I also hadn't listened to the music in advance and deliberately avoided reading anything about the show/film, so I could go in "cold."  I found myself very taken by the story, which was engaging and delightful; I absolutely loved the results of the on-location shooting, liked a lot of the music (and also enjoyed hearing shades of "Hamilton" to come), but thought the film (at nearly 2.5 hours) was too long.  I'm going to watch it again and see if I still feel that way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I streamed it the other night on HBO Max.  Like you, I had not seen it on stage.  I also hadn't listened to the music in advance and deliberately avoided reading anything about the show/film, so I could go in "cold."  I found myself very taken by the story, which was engaging and delightful; I absolutely loved the results of the on-location shooting, liked a lot of the music (and also enjoyed hearing shades of "Hamilton" to come), but thought the film (at nearly 2.5 hours) was too long.  I'm going to watch it again and see if I still feel that way.

I didn’t think it was too long but we saw it over two nights, that’s the positive on seeing it a home rather that in theater. I thought the cast mostly unknown were great.

2 hours ago, George C said:

It's in my queue for this week. Looks fascinating, and I also never saw the play.

So, regarding Springsteen on Broadway. I'm hoping I can blame Jumacyn, and not Jon Landau Productions, for the absolute fiasco that was Seat Geek! I was in the waiting room when tickets went on sale, with implicit instructions not to refresh. Ultimately, I hit up Twitter, where they'd posted "please refresh!" instructions. At that point, the only things available were $600-850 seats, and we'd made a conscious decisions we weren't doing that. AND by 3:30-4:00, when you went to Seat Geek, they were reselling tickets through their resell service, on the same screen they were selling box office tickets 30 minutes earlier.

We've seen the show, on Broadway, during its initial run. Would have been nice to see again, and it's still possible, if not even likely, they'll extend the run. Honestly, I didn't think anyone could be worse than Ticketextortion, but at least with Verified Fan, we got tickets in 2017...

19 hours ago, George C said:

One of my wife’s former co-workers is an actor who is in the movie .He plays Kevin Rosario .My daughters HS friend who was in Hamilton has a cameo in the movie,Javier Munoz.

On 6/27/2021 at 11:02 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

They announced last night Bruce The Boss opened last night at the St James.

One Show will open in August and Two on September.

Opening slowly.

That to me is not theater.That is an overpriced concert  in a theater.

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That to me is not theater.That is an overpriced concert  in a theater.

Unfortunately it's in Playbill......like all the other Musical Concerts/Performers.

14 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

That is not the way pure theater should be.

It has Broadway workers (stagehands, ushers, box office people, lighting people, etc) working so i think it's an excellent step forward.

We all differ on what kinds of theater we like and allow for differences of opinion.  I've seen Bruce in concert and I've seen Bruce on Broadway, and this is much more a scripted piece of theater than any concert I've ever seen.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

Unfortunately there are not that many shows coming on Broadway and also from West End.....

Yes,I understand that but that does not mean that theater should be watered down.Since you live in Brooklyn have you ever been to a production of The Heights Players ? just curious.

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

It has Broadway workers (stagehands, ushers, box office people, lighting people, etc) working so i think it's an excellent step forward.

We all differ on what kinds of theater we like and allow for differences of opinion.  I've seen Bruce in concert and I've seen Bruce on Broadway, and this is much more a scripted piece of theater than any concert I've ever seen.

I saw Bruce in concert when he wore jeans and the admission was $10.On Broadway,he comes out in jeans as of to say I am just an ordinary guy and the ticket price  can be as high as $850.00.

In 1966 I saw James Earl Jones in a Shakespeare in the park production.It was among the greatest plays I ever saw .No charge to those who came to see it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Yes,I understand that but that does not mean that theater should be watered down.Since you live in Brooklyn have you ever been to a production of The Heights Players ? just curious.

No....don't care to see it. Get your point. But we appreciate anything that is produced to see. Broadway is not just want George M Cohan produced. A story of one's life is a story also. Like one person shows....

My first show was in 1966 till today. There are shows call Broadway productions that I too disagree to the contents.

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

No....don't care to see it. Get your point. But we appreciate anything that is produced to see. Broadway is not just want George M Cohan produced. A story of one's life is a story also. Like one person shows....

My first show was in 1966 till today. There are shows call Broadway productions that I too disagree to the contents.

I have been going to see theatrical performances since 1965.Some shows that I thought were great closed almost immediately after opening.Plays that I thought were terrible had long runs.

On 6/29/2021 at 11:44 AM, lenquixote66 said:

I saw Bruce in concert when he wore jeans and the admission was $10.On Broadway,he comes out in jeans as of to say I am just an ordinary guy and the ticket price  can be as high as $850.00.

In 1966 I saw James Earl Jones in a Shakespeare in the park production.It was among the greatest plays I ever saw .No charge to those who came to see it.

We saw Bruce at his last run for $79 and are seeing him for $89 this time around.

You can pay $850 for many shows on Broadway. You don't have to.

We saw Andre DeShields in Shakespeare in the Park (King Lear) just last month for free.  From a solid 15 feet away.

There is room for all sorts of artistic offerings on and off Broadway

On 6/29/2021 at 11:44 AM, lenquixote66 said:

My mom saw James Earl Jones as Othello in 1964 at Shakespeare in the Park and it ruined her for life to any other attempt at live Shakespearean performance. Not that she ever, you know, mentions it or anything. ❤️

Edited by KmomChicago

4 hours ago, Nitemare said:

We saw Bruce at his last run for $79 and are seeing him for $89 this time around.

You can pay $850 for many shows on Broadway. You don't have to.

We saw Andre DeShields in Shakespeare in the Park (King Lear) just last month for free.  From a solid 15 feet away.

There is room for all sorts of artistic offerings on and off Broadway

Yes,I agree.My favorite is Off Broadway and Regional because the actors want to make it to Broadway some day.

3 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

My mom saw James Earl Jones as Othello in 1964 at Shakespeare in the Park and it ruined her for life to any other attempt at live Shakespearean performance. Not that she ever, you know, mentions it or anything. ❤️

When I saw him in 1966 it was also in OthelloThe female lead was Ellen Holly.