What broadway play?

George C

2 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

Man of LaMancha,Come From Away,Les Miserables,Hair ,Evita are among my favorites but it is very difficult to just pick 5.
Another one of my favorites is Waiting For Godot .

Man of La Mancha, then Wicked — but nothing in recent years match shows like South Pacific, Oklahoma, and Carousel (which were before my time).  Andrew Lloyd Webber is just plain over the top lugubrious - I’d rather spend the afternoon at a periodontist than an evening at Les Mis — or any of that sort.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

I think the Beatles cam in 1964 - and Esso stopped being Esso (and became Exxon) in 1973 — but then I can also remember Studebakers.  

The Beatles did come in 1964 and played at Shea Stadium.I remember Studebakers too.

14 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Man of La Mancha, then Wicked — but nothing in recent years match shows like South Pacific, Oklahoma, and Carousel (which were before my time).  Andrew Lloyd Webber is just plain over the top lugubrious - I’d rather spend the afternoon at a periodontist than an evening at Les Mis — or any of that sort.

I remember South Pacific .It opened in 1958.Oklahoma opened in 1943.Carousel opened in 1945 .I was on the planet for all of these but I did not go to Broadway shows till 1965.I did go to Radio City Music Hall and the Roxy theater to see movies before I discovered theater.

59 minutes ago, George C said:

I had the Betamax tape of Beatles a Shea. Loved going to Radio City Music hall for show and movies as a kid, back then you had a suit and tie to go to the better movies . Times have changed. 

I do not believe that I ever wore a suit and tie to a movie theater .I probably wore a suit and tie to go to a stage theater if I was going direct from work.

To Radio City I wore a button down shirt and slacks.

I've been playing around with a top 5 list. Like I say, neither I nor my theater going go back as far as some of you. And I always find it interesting what people love that I don't, and vice versa. 

Of shows I've seen, I go with Les Miserables (for a very long time), Hamilton, Come From Away, and then it gets complicated. I probably put Spamalot in there as just maybe the funniest show I've ever seen, and then it's probably a toss-up with Wicked, Book of Mormon, and moving out of musicals, my wife and I really enjoyed Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. We've only seen a few shows that we really didn't like over the years. (Not even Brooke Shields could rescue Aadams Family!)

Need a good trip to Broadway!

I have favorites----I did not see them on Broadway but more at local theaters.......I LOVE MUSICALS.......😀

I know there are all kinds of shows.....my favorite is West Side Story.  Saw it on stage and have probably seen

the movie a zillion times LOL.......

I was lucky enough to see Come From Away last year on Broadway.......that is now in my top 5 for sure. What

a show!

Love South Pacific too.........and Fiddler on the Roof.......

We saw Book of Mormon Twice and I could see it again , also loved a Gentleman guide to love and murder which we saw on broadway and in Dallas. Also had the chance to see cast interviewed after , main actor played about 8 different people both men and women, he said there was a team that had to dress him in between scenes. I think I am only person who wasn’t crazy over Wicked which we saw last year. 

For us, our top 5 shows seen in NYC (so I'm including Off Broadway) are

Musicals:

Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish

Hamilton

Come From Away

Sweet Charity (with Sutton Foster)

The Color Purple (2016 revival)

Plays:

A View From The Bridge (2015 revival)

Oh Hello

Jitney (2017 B'way)

Hangmen (Atlantic Theater)

True West (2019 B'way)

Just missing these lists are Urinetown and the Off Broadway Sweeney Todd

20 hours ago, George C said:

Some of the first run movie theaters in Manhattan had a hat and coat check room and attendant. Talking about the 1960’s . 

I went to Radio City Music Hall and other movie theaters in the 60’s and never had to wear a suit and tie.I would not wear jeans but slacks with a button down shirt.

19 hours ago, markeb said:

I've been playing around with a top 5 list. Like I say, neither I nor my theater going go back as far as some of you. And I always find it interesting what people love that I don't, and vice versa. 

Of shows I've seen, I go with Les Miserables (for a very long time), Hamilton, Come From Away, and then it gets complicated. I probably put Spamalot in there as just maybe the funniest show I've ever seen, and then it's probably a toss-up with Wicked, Book of Mormon, and moving out of musicals, my wife and I really enjoyed Harry Potter and the Cursed Child. We've only seen a few shows that we really didn't like over the years. (Not even Brooke Shields could rescue Aadams Family!)

Need a good trip to Broadway!

More shows that I loved :

Spamalot,,All My Sons,,Beatlemania  with Mitch Weissman as McCartney,Blithe Spirit,Cabaret,A Child’s Play,Emperor Jones ,Les Blanca,On Your Feet,The 39 Steps,

Hamlet starring James Earl Jones in 1966.

18 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have favorites----I did not see them on Broadway but more at local theaters.......I LOVE MUSICALS.......😀

I know there are all kinds of shows.....my favorite is West Side Story.  Saw it on stage and have probably seen

the movie a zillion times LOL.......

I was lucky enough to see Come From Away last year on Broadway.......that is now in my top 5 for sure. What

a show!

Love South Pacific too.........and Fiddler on the Roof.......

I will add Fiddler starring Zero Mostel.I wrote a play that opened and closed in one night in an off,off,off,off Broadway theater.That was in 1964.

16 hours ago, George C said:

We saw Book of Mormon Twice and I could see it again , also loved a Gentleman guide to love and murder which we saw on broadway and in Dallas. Also had the chance to see cast interviewed after , main actor played about 8 different people both men and women, he said there was a team that had to dress him in between scenes. I think I am only person who wasn’t crazy over Wicked which we saw last year. 

I did not like Wicked.We went to see it for my wife’s birthday last year.She had a great desire to see it.

5 hours ago, Nitemare said:

For us, our top 5 shows seen in NYC (so I'm including Off Broadway) are

Musicals:

Fiddler on the Roof in Yiddish

Hamilton

Come From Away

Sweet Charity (with Sutton Foster)

The Color Purple (2016 revival)

Plays:

A View From The Bridge (2015 revival)

Oh Hello

Jitney (2017 B'way)

Hangmen (Atlantic Theater)

True West (2019 B'way)

Just missing these lists are Urinetown and the Off Broadway Sweeney Todd

Were you going to Boston theaters in the 70’s ?

We were planning to see Fiddler in Yiddish but I was told that the leg room in the theater was not good for tall people,I am 6’5.

The original theater, at the museum, had plenty of legroom. I don't know about when they moved it to midtown.

I saw very few shows in Boston in the 70's.  Really started big into theater in the early 1990's when I met my NYC raised wife who was a big theater fan growing up.

18 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I did not like Wicked.We went to see it for my wife’s birthday last year.She had a great desire to see it.

Same here wife loved it, wonder if we would have felt different when the original cast ? I don’t Know if I would have liked Waitress as much if we didn’t see it with Sara Bareilles, who wrote it but wasn’t in original cast, her voice was totally amazing. 

Edited by George C

Spamalot goes down as one of our more interesting Broadway experiences. I knew it was coming out, we're both big Python fans, and we had a trip to NYC scheduled. Of course, the show was "sold out".

We got into town for our first of 3-4 nights (don't remember; it's been awhile). Pretty sure it was during the time period we were staying in Times Square, probably at the W. We did our usual first night trip to John's on 44th for pizza, and the Shubert is right across the street. The show had opened probably a week, maybe two weeks earlier if memory serves, so the original cast with Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, David Hyde Pierce, etc., was still on stage. We wandered into the box office essentially on a lark, and got the answer that we're sold out tonight and all we have this week are obstructed tickets. We ended up in the back row of the Shubert (horribly uncomfortable seats!), but had a view of everything but the top of the castle and the Lady of the Lake. Could barely walk when the show was over, but laughed more than I've probably laughed at any show. Crazy night that worked out wonderfully in the end!

3 hours ago, George C said:

Same here wife loved it, wonder if we would have felt different when the original cast ? I don’t Know if I would have liked Waitress as much if we didn’t see it with Sara Bareilles, who wrote it but wasn’t in original cast, her voice was totally amazing. 

I did not like Waitress .We did not see it with the original cast.

3 hours ago, Nitemare said:

The original theater, at the museum, had plenty of legroom. I don't know about when they moved it to midtown.

I saw very few shows in Boston in the 70's.  Really started big into theater in the early 1990's when I met my NYC raised wife who was a big theater fan growing up.

The reason I asked Is that my cousin who wrote the play that bombed in NY opened to raves in Boston .The play was A Prelude to Hamlet.

2 hours ago, markeb said:

Spamalot goes down as one of our more interesting Broadway experiences. I knew it was coming out, we're both big Python fans, and we had a trip to NYC scheduled. Of course, the show was "sold out".

We got into town for our first of 3-4 nights (don't remember; it's been awhile). Pretty sure it was during the time period we were staying in Times Square, probably at the W. We did our usual first night trip to John's on 44th for pizza, and the Shubert is right across the street. The show had opened probably a week, maybe two weeks earlier if memory serves, so the original cast with Tim Curry, Hank Azaria, David Hyde Pierce, etc., was still on stage. We wandered into the box office essentially on a lark, and got the answer that we're sold out tonight and all we have this week are obstructed tickets. We ended up in the back row of the Shubert (horribly uncomfortable seats!), but had a view of everything but the top of the castle and the Lady of the Lake. Could barely walk when the show was over, but laughed more than I've probably laughed at any show. Crazy night that worked out wonderfully in the end!

I am a huge Python fan.I have been watching their movies and tv shows on Netflix.

i began watching the shows on TV in 1969.