What broadway play?

George C

I streamed “Hamilton” early this morning. (I’ve seen it five times in the theatre.) Obviously, no film can substitute for live theatre, but I particularly enjoyed closeups that could only be seen from angles shot on the stage when there was no audience. It’s gorgeously filmed.  There are a few things I would have preferred they’d shot differently/wider, but it’s so wonderful to have this available now.

And it’s just bizarre to think that I can watch “Hamilton” right now, whenever I want. Truly, the world turned upside down. 

• Like 2

I don't have Disney + so I won't be watching it.........have never seen it actually.  Maybe one day it will come to the 

big screen.  I must be the only person who hasn't seen it yet😧

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Turtles05;  I too watched Hamilton last night.  Watched it on my 110" movie screen

110, makes me jealous and makes our 70 inch tv look small. Might sign up for Disney plus for a month to see it. 

48 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I don't have Disney + so I won't be watching it.........have never seen it actually.  Maybe one day it will come to the 

Disney+ is all of $6.99 for a month, and you can cancel it any time.   I didn't have it either until they announced that Hamilton would be streaming on it.  (The service charge for theatre tickets is more than 7 bucks.)

Yep. The world definitely turned upside down!

I remember being worried about the production and cinematography. Not anymore. I didn't see the original cast on stage. Wow! What an amazing cast. (Actually, we've seen it live twice, and both casts were great, but the original Broadway cast is pretty amazing.)

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Lois R .I never saw it either.

Lenny

4 hours ago, George C said:

110, makes me jealous and makes our 70 inch tv look small. Might sign up for Disney plus for a month to see it. 

I still have a 24” tv that I bought in 1997 and it works great.I remember when my father bought our first TV in 1952 and we had that till 1997.Perhaps in 45 years from now I will get a larger screen TV.

3 hours ago, markeb said:

Yep. The world definitely turned upside down!

I remember being worried about the production and cinematography. Not anymore. I didn't see the original cast on stage. Wow! What an amazing cast. (Actually, we've seen it live twice, and both casts were great, but the original Broadway cast is pretty amazing.)

Same here, have seen great casts but not the OBC; they really were terrific. I just finished my second viewing of the film.  😄

Disney paid a lot of money to broadcast Hamilton;  so they are counting on people to join for the month;  watch Hamilton, then hopefully stay longer than the month. 

33 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

Disney paid a lot of money to broadcast Hamilton;  so they are counting on people to join for the month;  watch Hamilton, then hopefully stay longer than the month. 

Actually, they paid that money with a plan to show it in movie theaters, starting in October 2021.  The decision to stream it now of course was made because of the pandemic (and with the consent of the creators, since this “early” release was not part of the deal).  But yes, obviously they are hoping folks stay on for more than a month.  Disney+ is relatively inexpensive compared with, say, Netflix, but of course if you don’t have kids and aren’t huge Star Wars fans, you may find their library limited. We did watch the 2019 version of The Lion King the other night and really enjoyed it; it’s visually gorgeous. Avatar is another visual stunner in their library. 

For us, after some more noodling around in their library, I think the decision on how long to keep Disney+ will eventually turn on how long we want to have access to Hamilton. 😊

5 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Actually, they paid that money with a plan to show it in movie theaters, starting in October 2021.  The decision to stream it now of course was made because of the pandemic (and with the consent of the creators, since this “early” release was not part of the deal).  But yes, obviously they are hoping folks stay on for more than a month.  Disney+ is relatively inexpensive compared with, say, Netflix, but of course if you don’t have kids and aren’t huge Star Wars fans, you may find their library limited. We did watch the 2019 version of The Lion King the other night and really enjoyed it; it’s visually gorgeous. Avatar is another visual stunner in their library. 

For us, after some more noodling around in their library, I think the decision on how long to keep Disney+ will eventually turn on how long we want to have access to Hamilton. 😊

My 11 year old granddaughter told me last night that I do have Disney plus .My wife who had absolutely no desire to see Hamilton is now in our den watching it.

I will watch it later or tomorrow.

• Haha 2

Turtles06;  you are correct.  It was supposed to hit theaters next year.  I have no children at home but bought Disney+ for two year plan at members rate;  so got a good deal.  I watch it at least once a week.  Love Avengers and Star War, plus some of the older Disney movies

• Like 1

Hopefully we will see it a real theater before October 2021. Will most likely just buy Disney plus for a month have most of the Star Wars and several of the avengers on dvd already. Trying to figure out what we will do for vacation for rest of the year, since wife gets 4 weeks , glad we have our pool and still have restaurants with live music currently. 

George C I think everyone is looking at ways to take some sort of vacation this year;  where, when, and how are the big questions.  I am headed to Colorado in three weeks.  Going to fly out and rent a car

On 7/1/2020 at 1:49 PM, Pmorton3360 said:

Thank you. I got my new tickets for May 25. So far away. I had to recharge. Hope they credit the old tickets. Now to book other plays. Still haven't seen Dear Evan Hanson. Have to see what this new era of Broadway will bring.

We saw the credit hit our card 3-4 days after

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Sad news just read broadway star Nick Cordero just passed from COVID , had seen him last year in Bronx Tale. 

I saw that on the news this morning...........

10 hours ago, George C said:

Sad news just read broadway star Nick Cordero just passed from COVID , had seen him last year in Bronx Tale. 

10 hours ago, George C said:

That was horrible to hear.

26 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That was horrible to hear.

Because my brother directs play in Florida and in the Union , we were able to talk to the cast when the play ended , definitely tragic.

On 7/5/2020 at 1:45 PM, lenquixote66 said:

My 11 year old granddaughter told me last night that I do have Disney plus .My wife who had absolutely no desire to see Hamilton is now in our den watching it.

I will watch it later or tomorrow.

Thank goodness for 11 year olds to school us on both the technology and the pop culture all around us!

My take on Hamilton - wanted to see it for years but not for the $$.  Kiddo and I go to lots of community theatre and the occasional professional show, err, used to.  She saw it in Chicago with a friend last year (the ticket was her Christmas present for $350, 7th row center seats).  My family saw Beetlejuice on Broadway in August 2019 the night before our last cruise out of Port Liberty on Adventure of the Seas and we absolutely loved it.

I think for people who are already fans of classic live theatre, Hamilton might not feel like such an update or improvement.  For people who would have found plays like traditionally staged Showboat or Oklahoma! completely goofy and old fashioned, not to mention culturally unrelatable, Hamilton has certainly moved the medium into a different era.  The dancing is good but if you particularly like colorful acrobatic type stuff, it's not really that.  Because the raps and other musical numbers are delivered so quickly, with a lot of words per minute, it can be challenging to catch all the text on the first viewing. 

Being so highly rated, it is easy to watch it as a critic and the first time through I thought it was okay but not mind-blowing. One week later I have since re-watched many numbers, learned all the words to both Alexander Hamilton and Helpless, and quickly become a bit of an obsessed convert. "Look into your eyes and the sky's the limit I'm HELPLESS!"