Are plastic water bottles about to be discontinued on celebrity ships?

Quo Vadis?

We just returned from the Equinox and participated in the water tasting session. I didn't read all the responses above but here is what they told us.

The new system will be changing the water if the passengers who tested them vote for it. (I think it will be done either way.) We voted for the new water. Now the big issue that was discussed is the elimination of the plastic bottle. Here is what we were told. They are looking at replacing the plastic with a paper bottle that reseals - think of the paper bilk bottles with a screw cap. Why? Paper can be burned on the ship while the plastic needs to be manually separated, crushed, stored and taken off the ship for recycling. This is a money saver because they will no longer have to do the special processing and storage of the plastic bottles. There was no discussion of having passengers use refillable bottles from dispensers.

No idea what the outcome will be but it was an interesting discussion.

We just returned from the Equinox and participated in the water tasting session. I didn't read all the responses above but here is what they told us.

The new system will be changing the water if the passengers who tested them vote for it. (I think it will be done either way.) We voted for the new water. Now the big issue that was discussed is the elimination of the plastic bottle. Here is what we were told. They are looking at replacing the plastic with a paper bottle that reseals - think of the paper bilk bottles with a screw cap. Why? Paper can be burned on the ship while the plastic needs to be manually separated, crushed, stored and taken off the ship for recycling. This is a money saver because they will no longer have to do the special processing and storage of the plastic bottles. There was no discussion of having passengers use refillable bottles from dispensers.

That's paper MILK bottles, yes? Sounds like a great idea that ALL the water bottle manufacturers should do. . .

thanks, this makes a lot more sense than refillable bottles only (I use these at home, where I can sterilize them)

These are already available commercially...

BoxedWater_500ML_EightPack_1400x.jpg?v=1493178390From the company's web page. The Marriott Renaissance Midtown has this in their M Lounge. They're actually very convenient.

These are already available commercially...

BoxedWater_500ML_EightPack_1400x.jpg?v=1493178390From the company's web page. The Marriott Renaissance Midtown has this in their M Lounge. They're actually very convenient.

Thanks for posting that picture. I see an advertising opportunity on the containers for Celebrity to make them visually appealing.

Not very appealing for the gym or being on the go generally,,...and plastic straws and cups may be the next items to be eliminated.,....

Hope we can still bring our own water onboard at embarkation and ports...Fiji is the perfect size and tastes great! There's always club soda!

They will not be able to eliminate all single use plastic on board—there will still be the products like Gatorade and Vitamin water that come in plastic bottles, there will still be the plastic brought on board by passengers, there will still be the disposable plastic cups used for cold drinks at Cafe al Bacio, and so on. But they should be able to reduce the amount of single use plastic bottles considerably by making the switch to boxed water.

We have not bought bottled water in years, preferring to fill our own containers, which we wash in hot soapy water each night. So we support any effort to reduce the use of plastic water bottles. Cardboard boxes seem to be a good start.

Prediction: Celebrity will need to hire a bunch of extra porters to lug the hundreds cases of cases of bottled water brought on by passengers.

Then, bottled water will become like alcohol - BANNED.

And we will all be here discussing techniques for sneaking bottled water on the ship and admonishing those that want to.

Why would they let me bring bottled wine and soda on, but not spring water?

It just feels like people want things to stay the way they are... always. Change scares us because we like our routine and our things as is. Remember when smoking was banned in restaurants and bars - the outcry that bars would go out of business, well that didn't happen. I'm old enough to remember the outcry when wearing seatbelts became law. People were up in arms over the fact they wouldn't be able to escape a fiery car crash.

The water bottle pollution is a real life issue and something needs to change. I'm all for the new system and the details (my bottle needs to be washed, too much salt, etc) are things that will be figured out or in the long run maybe rethink about what the "real" issue may be. I used this system at the Hyatt in Kauai this past year and it worked great. If some water is not the best tasting (lived in FL for years and it was awful), I'll bring some True Lemon or a flavoring, but no obstacle is so insurmountable that we should abandon the efforts to solve the problem which is polluting our planet with millions of plastic water bottles.

Edited by Lisah101

It just feels like people want things to stay the way they are... always. Change scares us because we like our routine and our things as in. Remember when smoking was banned in restaurants and bars - the outcry that bars would go out of business, well that didn't happen. I'm old enough to remember the outcry when wearing seatbelts became law. People were up in arms over the fact they wouldn't be able to escape a fiery car crash.

The water bottle pollution is a real life issue and something needs to change. I'm all for the new system and the details (my bottle needs to be washed, too much salt, etc) are things that will be figured out or in the long run maybe rethink about what the "real" issue may be. I used this system at the Hyatt in Kauai this past year and it worked great. If some water is not the best tasting (lived in FL for years and it was awful), I'll bring some True Lemon or a flavoring, but no obstacle is so insurmountable that we should abandon the efforts to solve the problem which is polluting our planet with millions of plastic water bottles.

Been to resorts and all over the world and some now a days have the new biodegradable water bottles. Seen them in Hawaii, Mexico, Australia t name a few. The cost is a little more but it buts peoples mind to ease about pollution.

500 ml round or square shouldnt be much of a difference

Won't fit in the cupholders on equipment at the gym...and needs a straw, unless those are eliminated too!

We also use refillable metal water btls with convenient clips for hiking and biking.... seems cruising is going to feel a bit more like camping!

Won't fit in the cupholders on equipment at the gym...and needs a straw, unless those are eliminated too!

We also use refillable metal water btls with convenient clips for hiking and biking.... seems cruising is going to feel a bit more like camping!

The not fitting is probably a problem, but why would it need a straw? These are screw cap boxes just like the screw cap bottles. You can drink out of the box just like a bottle.

Why would they let me bring bottled wine and soda on, but not spring water?
Might be because it is in plastic bottles. If there water is good, why not just bring a refillable container and drink their water, instead of lugging water onboard the ship.

Might be because it is in plastic bottles. If there water is good, why not just bring a refillable container and drink their water, instead of lugging water onboard the ship.

You would have to read the rest of this thread to understand some of the opinions/downsides concerning that option.