Thinking of not getting off in St Petersberg!!!!!

kcdcac13

I won't bother repeating what others have said, but I can tell you that I do not cruise for the ports and would be perfectly happy staying on the ship at 99% of the ports we've visited (100% if it's the Caribbean). That said, I thoroughly enjoyed St. Petersburg (with the possible exception of touring The Hermitage where I got yelled at by some old Russian lady because I was bored stiff and sat down on a chair).

I won't bother repeating what others have said, but I can tell you that I do not cruise for the ports and would be perfectly happy staying on the ship at 99% of the ports we've visited (100% if it's the Caribbean). That said, I thoroughly enjoyed St. Petersburg (with the possible exception of touring The Hermitage where I got yelled at by some old Russian lady because I was bored stiff and sat down on a chair).

Haha! My son got yelled at in the Hermitage for whistling. Apparently that is bad luck or something superstitious!

Definitely get off the ship.

So much to see! But, and it's a big but, don't overdo the tours.

On our cruise, people were told that they would not have time to return to their cabins between morning and afternoon trips because of the packed schedule. On our first day we visited Catherine Palace in the morning, rested in the afternoon and went to the ballet at night. Some poor chap sitting next to us at the ballet actually fell asleep because he had tried to fit too much in during the day! The second day we stayed on the ship in the morning and went on a city tour in the afternoon.

It's very tempting to try to fill every single minute but you can easily run yourself into the ground. We found that the times we stayed on board there were always people about who had taken the same view as us.

I have to echo what the vast majority of respondents have recommended. There is so much to see in St. Petersburg. Really consider sucking up the cost and book a private family tour. I don't think you will regret it. As others have recommended, SBP does an excellent job!

you will be missing out on so much beauty and culture.

we booked tours thru TJ Travel. they were unbelieavable and we saw and did so much. we did the two day tour that included the Faberge Museum. Best port of call ever!!!

Going to say the same thing.. went to SPB last year with a 8 and 6 yr old and couldn't imagine staying on the ship. Both kids stayed out until 11pm the first night and had a full day of touring the next. We were super exhausted after but the tour (private) was well worth it.

If you've never been there, then get off the ship. Otherwise don't be one of those people who lies to friends by telling them you visited there when you didn't. Educate your kids, but more importantly, educate yourself. The idea that you don't want to see this amazing city shows a lot.

If you've never been there, then get off the ship. Otherwise don't be one of those people who lies to friends by telling them you visited there when you didn't. Educate your kids, but more importantly, educate yourself. The idea that you don't want to see this amazing city shows a lot.
I have to agree! Some people also tell friends they've been somewhere when they catch a layover connecting flight somewhere without ever leaving the airport.

Thank you to all those who have given some great tips about St Petersburg. Have done an abundance of research already and will try and get my family to agree on a suitable tour! To those whose opinions are that my children are uneducated and are glued to electronic devices, you can keep those views to yourself! They are in no way helpful to anyone but you and of what you deem others to be like!

Welcome! I don't think that you said how old your kids are, but it would be fun to create your own tour of activities (with a private guide) for kids in St. Petersburg. Enjoy your cruise! The Baltic was a fabulous trip for us last September on the Getaway!!

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that if you wish to book your own tours in St P you will need to arrange your own visas rather than travel under the 'umbrella' of P&O's group one.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned that if you wish to book your own tours in St P you will need to arrange your own visas rather than travel under the 'umbrella' of P&O's group one.

That isn't the case if you use a tour company. The visas are done via them.

There have been a couple of rumours that suggest that this may be changing this year, but that seems to be caused by some bad wording on an Australian website. The tour vendors themselves are saying that everything is OK, and it is certainly not in their interest to have all of their customers stuck on a ship.

It is NCL, by the way, not P&O. :)

if you hire a company like TJ Travel or SBP, they handle the visa for you. You just send ahead your passport info. THe cruise line wants you to think that you must book thru them.

with TJ, we saw much, much more than the cruise ship tours for about half the cost.

this is the one we did:

https://st-petersburg-tours.ru/exclusive-two-day-group-st-petersburg-shore-excursion

they also do tours in all of the baltic ports. we utilized them in Tallin as well.

I like a day on the ship too when most people are off... its like a sea day without the crowds!

However, I did a Baltic cruise last year - and the thing I remember the most was the wonderful time I had with TJ tours. SPB is definitely the MAIN EVENT of any itinerary of any ship in that area.. I don't know you or your family, but I really think if you didn't go and see some of it you would regret it. The people are not as the TV would have you believe. A Moscow Russian just last week told me that Russians love the tourists, they are just reserved and not in your face.. I am british too - so I know where you are coming from. Take a tour - even if its just a one day thing.

I am going to SPB in August with RCI Serenade and I too had some concerns.

Then I think about folks in hospitals suffering and I say to myself ..."They would to change places with me".

So I changed my mind and will take a tour. I am only there one day

I was on a Baltic cruise about four years ago and we really enjoyed it. It did include an overnight stop in St. Petersburg and we did a couple tours. The OP concerns about crowds and long lines for everything are quite valid. Still, we had a good time and I am glad we went.

Given the recent/current political climate and in addition to the crowds, I would think twice about taking this cruise again. If you are fully committed (and fully paid) to taking this cruise, I would make the best of it and take advantage of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to visit St. Petersburg. There seem to be a lot of good suggestions about available tour options.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Because it’s an overnight stop we’re thinking of getting off the boat before it enters Russia’s territorial waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK I will bite. Then what will you do?

And my second question, why even go on a Baltic cruise if you will not even go on the ship to St. Petersburg?

OMG what's this about 'recent political climate'.

Parts of London have degraded far more than St. Petersburg in recent years...nobody's afraid to go to London.

I understand several hundred thousand German/Finnish/Austrian tourists showed up at the city outskirts of Saint Petersburg 75 years ago looking for shore-ex, and the locals were most inhospitable in not letting them in and showing them around. Since then tourists have been most welcome. New town name, new attitude.

Top tip: Don't do anything incredibly stupid whilst on vacation, no matter what country you're headed for, and 99.98% of the time you'll be fine.

We did the Baltic cruise with NCL in May 2016. St Petersburg was the highlight of the trip.

We used Guide Guru for our two tours (1) the 1 day tour of St Petersburg and (2) the Vodka Canal Cruise in the evening.. We were told to expect up to 6 in our group. It was only my wife and I, plus the driver and the tour guide. Effectively, we got a private tour, and both were amazing.

You certainly wouldn’t be the only people onboard if you stay there.

When we were last in St Petersburg we did a private tour on day 1 and fit a huge amount in. We then stayed onboard on day 2 and, whilst it was quiet it was far from empty.

Remember there are a lot of half day Tours offered by the cruise line, so not everyone is off all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK I will bite. Then what will you do?

And my second question, why even go on a Baltic cruise if you will not even go on the ship to St. Petersburg?

I'm biting too!!