Oceania dress code

islandwoman

I also have been turned off by some snobbish comments here but I also know that the majority of cruisers don't write or read these forums and many folks were quite helpful and nice.

We chose our cruise because of its itinerary and the rep for good food on Oceania. If we don't like the atmosphere we won't book again but I won't cancel based on a few posts!

I did not look at previous posts for her

I dislike like it when people make up stories to discredit the cruise line or other people :rolleyes:

AH yes

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=43436610&postcount=31

I certainly can't say whether her story was true or not, but I can tell you my personal experiences.

On my first Oceania cruise we shared a table in the GDR with another couple at dinner early in the cruise. The elderly gentleman, who was wearing a jacket, complained about passengers who didn't follow the dress code by not wearing a jacket to dinner. I don't know if his vision was so bad that he didn't see that I wasn't wearing a jacket, or his dementia was so bad that he didn't understand the implications of what he was saying (it was pretty clear that his elevator didn't go all the way to the top) or whether he was just being nasty to me. In any event, that was the first and last time we shared a table at dinner in any Oceania dining venue.

On our second Oceania cruise there were some people ostensibly listening to the string quartet virtually every night before dinner, as was also our custom, who regularly would comment in a stage whisper about people who didn't meet their personal dress standards. I know I didn't, but I certainly met Oceania's published dress standards.

I've been rather shocked about how many inconsiderate, rude, and self-righteous passengers I've had the displeasure of encountering on Oceania.

Edited by njhorseman

not to disagree

but since no suit or a tie was ever required on Oceania I find it hard to believe

you may be thinking of another cruise line

No, I am not an idiot, it was O but why am I trying to defend myself because you have issues believing me?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

No, I am not an idiot, it was O but why am I trying to defend myself because you have issues believing me?

no one called you an idiot ....again making things up

confused maybe ???

Here is the thread where someone made the comment

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2072069

It appears it was on the Crystal forum that some said that

I cannot believe anyone on this forum would say your DH need a jacket, suit to sail since it is not required on Oceania

I looked through the link that Lyn sent -- not thoroughly, but I read a number of the later posts. I didn't see any that sounded as if they were telling you to stay away if your DH couldn't afford a suit.

There WAS one post that criticized people for trying to demean the dress policy., But the posts I saw, other than this one, sounded very helpful. And welcoming.

What am I missing?

I know that Oceania recommends (or requires?) "Country Club Casual". My question is, does that apply only to the dining rooms in the evening, or does it mean all over the ship 24/7? In other words, can I wear a T-shirt or turtleneck, shorts, and sandals or flip-flops around the ship? Where do Island shirts fit into the dress code?

Yes you can. Country club casual is for the dining room and the specialty restaurants. Bathing suit is only for the pool. Island shirts are fine everywhere. However, the ship's interior is often too cold for skimpy tropical clothing. I wore long linen pants and a nice pashmina voluntarily on my hot weather cruises. ;-)

• 5 weeks later...

Here is an easily searched lengthy thread discussing ad naseum Oceania Dress Code for the young lady enquiring about formal dress!

It would be difficult to imagine any further questions on dress after reading all the posts!

Here is an easily searched lengthy thread discussing ad naseum Oceania Dress Code for the young lady enquiring about formal dress!

It would be difficult to imagine any further questions on dress after reading all the posts!

This thread was slowly passing into obscurity..until you responded that is!