Why is a passport needed?

SadieN

Traveling through US is absolutely different than through Europe, but if you take into consideration length of vacations and cost of flying family to Europe to travel... you'll understand.

Americans do travel to Europe, just as Europeans to US, but I am sure more Europeans travel in Europe and Americans in America than either crossing the pond.

If it was even a huge size issue then why do many people from the South of the US not fly to Guatemala and Nicaragua?

Two very good reasons - they don't have to go out of their own country to visit new locations, and they probably don't speak the language in those countries. Don't get me wrong. I am a fan of traveling around the world for the very reasons you describe. But for some US citizens, there is too much to see and do in their own country to consider visiting foreign countries that take a larger effort to visit. Not how I think, of course, but if it works for them and they are satisfied, then there is no reason to question their decisions.

Whenever this Passport topic comes up here on CC, it seems like the posters fall into two groups. There are those that only travel on shorter Caribbean cruises (or perhaps the Mexican Riviera) who have a very limited view of International Travel. Some of these folks cannot afford the cost of going afar, some do not have the time, and many others are simply not interested in true International travel. And then there is the 2nd group who are true world travelers and for whom a Passport is just a basic form of ID. I just had to send my Passport in for renewal...and almost feel naked without having it at home. For a few weeks I have lost my freedom to travel...and its an uncomfortable feeling. A Passport gives me the freedom to hop on a plane with a few hours notice and fly off to nearly anywhere in the world.

Hank

Yes, the passport can come in handy for other things but that shouldn't be a main consideration when deciding whether or not to get one, it's more of an icing on top of the cake thing. For the situations that you mention there are alternatives available to the passport that either don't cost extra or are a smaller investment (such as a passport card for someone who might need a REAL ID compliant ID).

Massachusetts just recently started issuing REAL ID. My license expires this year and though I have a valid passport I am happpy to get the REA L I D license when I renew..

Edited by sail7seas

I like the effort and language barrier personally....that's what makes it. I always say that I need to get off 'this stinking island' (In joke) each year or I go nuts. I adore being in a culture that is different to mine.

While I realise being in Europe is lucky as you can really easily country hop as it is really different from going state to state.

We like holidaying in the US and want to do it more (New Orleans and cruise is the plan) but I think comparing state to state travel to European country hopping is like comparing apples to oranges.

It also makes sense why the US-Caribbean cruise market is huge.

I agree with Hiltner though, this forum does have 2 certain groups. Horses for courses I suppose.

Whenever this Passport topic comes up here on CC, it seems like the posters fall into two groups. There are those that only travel on shorter Caribbean cruises (or perhaps the Mexican Riviera) who have a very limited view of International Travel. Some of these folks cannot afford the cost of going afar, some do not have the time, and many others are simply not interested in true International travel. And then there is the 2nd group who are true world travelers and for whom a Passport is just a basic form of ID. I just had to send my Passport in for renewal...and almost feel naked without having it at home. For a few weeks I have lost my freedom to travel...and its an uncomfortable feeling. A Passport gives me the freedom to hop on a plane with a few hours notice and fly off to nearly anywhere in the world.

Hank

I think that's a fair assessment and the people in the first group are in a position to decide whether or not a passport is right for them or not since they do have that legal option. You are indeed fortunate if you have the money and time to be able to just jump on a plane, that is a luxury that few have.

I think it’s more about priorities (not for all, but for many) . I see how much people spend on Cape Code vacations during summers, or on summer houses... and often amazed. They have good jobs, luxury cars, expensive houses, but have never been abroad.

I grew up in USSR and we always felt envious about possibility of free travel.

So when USSR fell apart and even better when we immigrated it became our priority to travel abroad (and for many people who stayed behind) Other languages entice even more even if we don’t understand them [emoji4] , the create some additional nice ambiance.

We love that French Canada is next to us, so we can experience a different flare while we don’t travel to Europe.

But I guess when you always lived in a free country all these things aren’t as attractive. Not for all, but for many.

A major reason many US residents do not see the need to obtain a passport while people in the UK do, is that the US is so large with so much to see without even leaving the borders. In many ways, each state is like a different country, similar to what is found in Europe. Each state has its own culture, and many even have their own dialect. Laws are slightly different state by state, and the scenery is certainly different from one state to the other, with their own unique places of interest. A US citizen can spend their entire life touring the country and not see everything. Many of our states are larger than some European countries. So there is not as much motivation to obtain passports as in countries that are relatively small and compact.

map-of-us-and-europe-how-big-is-ireland-compared-us-quiz-map-of-usa-overlay-europe-31-645-x-723-pixels.jpg

Your response sounds reasonable, but the person you are responding to also references Canadians, not just Europeans, regarding being passport holders.

As of 2016, only about 36 percent of Americans hold a valid passport, according to the State Department, compared to 60 percent of passport-holding Canadians.

Canada is a big country with arguably very different cultures, scenery, climate, etc. just like the US. I'm sure Canadians could spend time visiting other areas of Canada as much or more so than US citizens.

So why do so many more Canadians have passports than US citizens?

So why do so many more Canadians have passports than US citizens?

I would guess it may have to do with weather and climate. Much of the US is rather temperate most of the year, at least the lower half, so US citizens don't need passports to find warmer weather to vacation in during the winter. Canada has some of the most severe winter weather of both countries. It could be many Canadians like traveling to warmer countries instead of enduring the colder months, which requires leaving the country to find that warmth.

I was born in Quebec not far from Montreal. I remember how bitterly cold the winters would get. My family eventually moved to southern California and it was virtual heaven not having to shovel snow, bundle up in several layers, or stay inside half of the year because it was too cold outside. We went from -30 F below in the winter to once in a while bottoming out in the upper 30s as the most severe temps. Southern California weather was much easier to live with. :D

Yes, the passport can come in handy for other things but that shouldn't be a main consideration when deciding whether or not to get one, it's more of an icing on top of the cake thing. For the situations that you mention there are alternatives available to the passport that either don't cost extra or are a smaller investment (such as a passport card for someone who might need a REAL ID compliant ID).

Whatever works. Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Whatever works. Nie mój cyrk' date=' nie moje małpy.[/quote']

If google translate is correct,

właśnie, dokładnie;). What someone else chooses to use doesn't affect anyone else or their choice.

On the subject of passports, I've heard conflicting info that I'm hoping you bright folks could clarify. I'm sailing out of Rome in just a few days on the NCL Epic (flight in < 12 hours, eek!). Yes, I have a passport and have to bring it.

But what is the standard protocol for leaving the ship and getting off in port at France, Spain, Rome, etc? I wasn't planning on taking my passport out of the safe, but do I need it to get on/off the ship at each port? Or only when we initially embark/debark?

On the subject of passports, I've heard conflicting info that I'm hoping you bright folks could clarify. I'm sailing out of Rome in just a few days on the NCL Epic (flight in < 12 hours, eek!). Yes, I have a passport and have to bring it.

But what is the standard protocol for leaving the ship and getting off in port at France, Spain, Rome, etc? I wasn't planning on taking my passport out of the safe, but do I need it to get on/off the ship at each port? Or only when we initially embark/debark?

You won't be asked to turn it in on the ship for those countries or need to take it ashore.

Even though we live a stone's throw away from those countries we leave our Passport in the safe and carry a photocopy in our bags. This isn't needed and maybe overkill for some but we know if anything crazy should happen it would speed up the process of getting back to where we need to be.

Enjoy your cruise! The weather is pretty good in Europe right now.

Sailing12away -- I'm heading off on my 10th Med cruise in less than two weeks -- it never gets less exciting. ;)

It's personal choice in most ports -- you are not required to take the passport for ID. If you are (there are a VERY few places that require it), the ship will warn you. I do not bring mine unless there is a good reason to do so.

I would guess it may have to do with weather and climate. Much of the US is rather temperate most of the year, at least the lower half, so US citizens don't need passports to find warmer weather to vacation in during the winter. Canada has some of the most severe winter weather of both countries. It could be many Canadians like traveling to warmer countries instead of enduring the colder months, which requires leaving the country to find that warmth. :D

That might explain why more Canadians have passports but what about Australia? Like the U.S., the weather there is also temperate most of the year, the geography runs the gamut from from beaches to skiing and yet a majority of Australians hold passports and frequently travel outside their own country.

What should also be considered as a reason why so few Americans have passports is the country's long history of isolationism and its attitudes toward other cultures.

We (Canadian) never required a passport to enter the US. We never bothered even taking it until the last few years. Notwithstanding that we always had a passport. Not certain if we even need one now but we always take it, plus our Nexus pass.

We required a passport for UK in the good weather, Cuba in the winter.

They probably don't speak the language in those countries.

Well it's the same for us Europeans, if I go to Finland, a country that share boarder with Sweden, I wouldn't anything they say. The only two countries that I might would be able to go to and understand what they are talking about is Denmark and Norway. But often we need english to translate some words.

If you speak english you get very far in Europe. In Sweden 90-95% of all native Swedes over the age of 13 understand english very well.

Finish language belongs to the different language group than Indian-European/Northern German. I think it is Hungary/Magyar/Uralic.

I agree, people in Scandinavia know English very well! Much better than in people in countries with Romance language groupe (France, Italy, Spain etc).. and even from in some parts of Germany.

Well here in US most people who aren't immigrants speak only English plus some Spanish. I guess it's a matter of necessity and exposure. I work for company which moved from Canada (mostly Eastern parts). You'd think aside from English they'd know French? Not many.

Well it's the same for us Europeans, if I go to Finland, a country that share boarder with Sweden, I wouldn't anything they say. The only two countries that I might would be able to go to and understand what they are talking about is Denmark and Norway. But often we need english to translate some words.

If you speak english you get very far in Europe. In Sweden 90-95% of all native Swedes over the age of 13 understand english very well.

Many, most? in the Netherlands speak Englilsh very well.

Though we speak only English and perhaps a little Spanish we had no trouble traveling in Spain, Portugal, Italy, The Netherlands, Israel Denmark Austria, Germany, and in Greece we were smart to travel with people who speak Greek :)

What should also be considered as a reason why so few Americans have passports is the country's long history of isolationism and its attitudes toward other cultures.

The US has not been a country with a "long history of isolationism and its attitudes toward other cultures." We have welcomed immigrants to our country, and have always been willing to help other countries during hardships or difficult times. We have been generous, sending aid and relief after natural disasters. Our humanitarian work over the decades has been large in scope and in positive results. The isolation you refer to has only been the case since the last presidential election and is unfortunately the myopic view of current administration. This country has prided itself on being a melting pot welcoming immigrants resulting in many cultures adding to its diversity. And for most of its citizens today, it still does, regardless of the current administration's stance.

I would suggest that the general antipathy for traveling to other parts of the world are because almost all US citizens are descendant from people who left their countries to move to the US, and the message being handed down to later generations is that they came here because they wanted a better life than what they had in their home countries. That is what my own parents wanted when they decided to immigrate to the US. That our ancestors deliberately immigrated here to improve their lives may be what subconsciously keeps many of us from traveling abroad. I am not a psychologist, or a human relations expert, but based on my own family history it seems to explain why most of them prefer to stay put.

Fortunately, my curiosity and sense of adventure freed me from such self inflicted isolationism. I enjoy traveling and experiencing other cultures, in contrast to my own family.

Edited by sloopsailor

I think that's a fair assessment and the people in the first group are in a position to decide whether or not a passport is right for them or not since they do have that legal option. You are indeed fortunate if you have the money and time to be able to just jump on a plane, that is a luxury that few have.

You are correct that many folks cannot afford to travel....but most here on CC do somehow find the money to pay for cruises. A land trip to Europe need not need to cost much more then a 7 day cruise :). When we started traveling in Europe (about forty years ago) we did it on a very tight budget. Even today, when we are in Europe we save lots of money by avoiding overpriced tours (we do our own thing). One can save thousands of dollars on even a short trip by learning how to use public transit and read a book (or a few web pages) on how to travel on one's own.

What we have found, by chatting with many fellow Americans, is that many of our countryfolk either have no interest in International travel or are simply afraid to go off and have a travel adventure. Cruises (especially in the Caribbean or Alaska) offer an easy alternative. Cruise lines really take advantage of the travel phobia suffered by many Americans by charging outrageous prices for many excursions...with the knowledge that many cruisers are simply afraid to do anything on their own. But these are all choices! Some of us have made the choice of having travel become a major part of our lives...and others have chosen other options.

Hank

The US has not been a country with a "long history of isolationism and its attitudes toward other cultures." This has only been the case since the last presidential election and of the current administration. Until recently, it prided itself on being a melting pot with many cultures adding to its diversity. I would suggest that the general antipathy for traveling to other parts of the world are in part based on the fact that most US citizens are descendant from people who left their countries to move to the US, and the message being handed down to later generations is that they came here because they wanted a better life. The family culture may be what keeps many of us from traveling abroad. I am not a psychologist, or a human relations expert, but based on my own family history, it explains why most of my family prefers to stay put.

With 325+ million in the US I doubt that anyone could come up with a one sized fits all explanation.

That might explain why more Canadians have passports but what about Australia? Like the U.S., the weather there is also temperate most of the year, the geography runs the gamut from from beaches to skiing and yet a majority of Australians hold passports and frequently travel outside their own country.

I blame it on lack of vacation time in the US compared to other countries. Long flights, jet lag, for just a week makes local travel more attractive.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2013/06/08/countries-most-vacation-days/2400193/

You are correct that many folks cannot afford to travel....but most here on CC do somehow find the money to pay for cruises. A land trip to Europe need not need to cost much more then a 7 day cruise :). When we started traveling in Europe (about forty years ago) we did it on a very tight budget. Even today, when we are in Europe we save lots of money by avoiding overpriced tours (we do our own thing). One can save thousands of dollars on even a short trip by learning how to use public transit and read a book (or a few web pages) on how to travel on one's own.

What we have found, by chatting with many fellow Americans, is that many of our countryfolk either have no interest in International travel or are simply afraid to go off and have a travel adventure. Cruises (especially in the Caribbean or Alaska) offer an easy alternative. Cruise lines really take advantage of the travel phobia suffered by many Americans by charging outrageous prices for many excursions...with the knowledge that many cruisers are simply afraid to do anything on their own. But these are all choices! Some of us have made the choice of having travel become a major part of our lives...and others have chosen other options.

Hank

Last time I looked being able to make the choice that works best for that particular individual is a good thing. Their choice not to travel regardless of reason (or to only travel on closed loop cruises) doesn't affect me at all.

With 325+ million in the US I doubt that anyone could come up with a one sized fits all explanation.

Agree. That is why I was careful to state that my suggestion may only partially explain many people's aversion to travel abroad and that it wasn't proven fact or all encompassing. Not sure why you felt the need to disqualify my comments when I never claimed they were the only explanation. :confused: