Does a 49 day trip get boring ?

banshe

Not sure if I can post the direct link, but google Yellow Fish Cruises, pescado amarillo is a regular poster here and they document their 100, 120, even 150 night cruise adventures and let me tell you it looks like they have never had a boring day.

Awwwww...that’s nice. Thanks! It’s also correct. We haven’t!

But even we know that we are not cut out to be World Cruisers. Sea days, as many have mentioned, are wonderful...in small doses...for us. We may be encountering our first run of six in a row next season, which we’re not looking forward to, but on some itineraries, it’s the price to be paid.

how many free minutes do you get as a platinum on a 49 day cruise?

I believe the referenced 49 day cruise is 3 voyages of of 19, 14 and 16 days with the 14 day B.A. to Chile not currently available for booking in the U.S.. As such each platinum member should receive 250 min.s per segment where unused mins. carry over.

Many of you think small :). Was just reading about Viking Ocean Cruises new round the world itinerary.....which is only 245 Days! During that cruise they will call at 59 countries on 6 Continents. My kind of cruise :).

Hank

This falls into the different strokes for different folks category. We have been on a number of 40 to 50 day cruises and loved everyone. We did not get bored.

Oh, I realize that but don't you get a little disappointed when you go to a comedian show & listen to the same jokes they've told for years on end.

Same applied to the production shows if you're a frequent Princess cruiser.

Thankfully with the new on demand TV system they change the movies or they'ed be nothing to do at night sometimes.

Awwwww...that’s nice. Thanks! It’s also correct. We haven’t!

But even we know that we are not cut out to be World Cruisers. Sea days, as many have mentioned, are wonderful...in small doses...for us. We may be encountering our first run of six in a row next season, which we’re not looking forward to, but on some itineraries, it’s the price to be paid.

Sooooooo..... will you share the details of your next trip? We are doing Fiji in January and wondering if you guys might be on that cruise. I know you enjoyed your South Pacific cruising last year, are you guys doing a repeat? We are going to grow up and be like You and G.

Oh, I realize that but don't you get a little disappointed when you go to a comedian show & listen to the same jokes they've told for years on end.

Thankfully with the new on demand TV system they change the movies or they'ed be nothing to do at night sometimes.

Since this 49 days will only be my second cruise, I haven't heard the jokes yet. :D But I have to say, when I was a young'en I would sneak and listen to the foul mouth comedians albums, and one who shall remain nameless, over and over again and laugh my brains out each and every time. I just realized why sometimes I can't think ...I laughed my brains out a very long time ago.

Ramona

Sooooooo..... will you share the details of your next trip? We are doing Fiji in January and wondering if you guys might be on that cruise. I know you enjoyed your South Pacific cruising last year, are you guys doing a repeat? We are going to grow up and be like You and G.

Hello! Good to hear from you! We adored our South Pacific cruising on the Pacific Princess (as you did too), and it will never be topped, but the Golden was a strong second place challenger. Plans for next season are coming along, but since no final payments have been, nothing is totally firm yet.

If we get to that point, it will be a sure sign that it’s time for us to change cruise lines or change vacation modes, I think. And there is always live music somewhere.

We have taken 28 day cruises a couple of times and never got bored. My wife claims she never got bored with not having to cook, not having to dust furniture, not having to change bedding, not having to clean the toilet or shower, and not having to vacuum or mop the floors. For myself, I don't get bored with not having to take out the trash, not having to do yard work, not having 4-5 robo-phone calls each day, and not having to carry junk mail to the recycle bin.

I find lectures, books, and naps are great ways to avoid boredom on those afternoons on sea days.

TOTALLY agree!!! :hearteyes: I'll add "not having to go to work" too.....I retire 10 days before my next cruise.

My longest cruise was 15 days, but next year I'll be doing 161 days! And my ship is the size of the Pacific Princess (small), but there will be plenty to do in addition to the obligatory nap, relaxing in a hot tub and watching the ocean for whales and dolphins! :D

Just had a philosophical discussion with another cruise lover and we have a different take on this subject. People can be boring, but cruises are never boring :).

Hank

Like I always say, "only boring people are bored". ;)

Banshee

we take longer cruises and find that the menu is repeated about every ten days. On the Royal, no only do you have the specialty restaurants and Alfredos, but all the usual ones and the Horizon Bistro which is a favorite of mine.

We had on the Royal on a lot of sea days the lunch option of Pub Lunch. That breaks up the food monotony as well.

As for activities on board, if you participate, it seems to depend on the Cruise Director. We had a fabulous one two years ago on our Tahiti trip that at lunch time would organize a daily cumulative team trivia game. It was great.

Hope your 49 day trip is fabulous

I wouldn't worry a bit, you must love cruising to even consider this cruise so go and have a wonderful time! We are in the early stages, way before final payment, planning for next summer. So far it is 6 btb cruises with a 4 night hotel stay in the middle. 79 nights total. We are worried about too many port days to wear us out, only 30 sea days. I guess we all have to worry about something! Our previous longest cruise was 42 days and we found we got into a routine, just like being at home with regard to eating, evening plans, sleeping, etc with the ports as the "outings." We read a lot of books, played board games, I kept a journal, we did quite a few cruise critic get-togethers, watched movies and TV. The days flew by. Maybe we are boring but that's okay. We are seeing the world, one piece at a time. Enjoy the planning. I find that is so much fun and I feel so prepared I don't worry at all once we get there.

Ocalapat

Regarding port days, there have been times when we thought that a Port Day was a distraction from our cruise :). Perhaps this is the difference between those who truly love to cruise and those that simply want a ferry boat to get them from Point A to Point B to Point C....etc. If anyone offered a round the world cruise that did not stop at any ports we would give it lots of consideration :).

Hank

Regarding port days, there have been times when we thought that a Port Day was a distraction from our cruise :). Perhaps this is the difference between those who truly love to cruise and those that simply want a ferry boat to get them from Point A to Point B to Point C....etc. If anyone offered a round the world cruise that did not stop at any ports we would give it lots of consideration :).

Hank

We are thinking we may skip a few port days next year. Our 42 day cruise was about 50/50 with the longest stretch of port days being 3 which was bearable. Next year we have one stretch of 7 ports in a row and one of 8! I think I'd better plan in rest days. We like sea days, but more important, we need sea days to recover!

We are thinking we may skip a few port days next year. Our 42 day cruise was about 50/50 with the longest stretch of port days being 3 which was bearable. Next year we have one stretch of 7 ports in a row and one of 8! I think I'd better plan in rest days. We like sea days, but more important, we need sea days to recover!

About three years ago we took a 14 day Caribbean cruise on Celebrity...which had 9 ports. For some reason, DW and I did not bother getting off the ship at the first 8 ports....but I finally broke down at that last port (St Maarten) because I wanted to buy some decent Scotch on the island. So we got off for about 30 minutes :). At the end of the cruise we thought it was one of the nicest cruises we had ever taken in the Caribbean. Staying onboard during a Port Day is even nicer then a Sea Day...because the ship is relatively empty. Its easy to get a deck chair in any location, bar service is terrific, and there are no big lines for lunch.

Hank

Since this 49 days will only be my second cruise, I haven't heard the jokes yet. :D But I have to say, when I was a young'en I would sneak and listen to the foul mouth comedians albums, and one who shall remain nameless, over and over again and laugh my brains out each and every time. I just realized why sometimes I can't think ...I laughed my brains out a very long time ago.

Ramona

Have no fear of hearing a comedian presenting adult material on Princess.

A few years ago they cleansed all the shows to remove anything offensive, even removing the late night adult shows specifically held for adults only. It seems that some people (who didn't even attend the whole show) were offended by the material and had the cruise line discontinue them for your moral protection.

Have no fear of hearing a comedian presenting adult material on Princess.

A few years ago they cleansed all the shows to remove anything offensive, even removing the late night adult shows specifically held for adults only. It seems that some people (who didn't even attend the whole show) were offended by the material and had the cruise line discontinue them for your moral protection.

Ahhh, they didn't have me to say, ..."no one can offend you, you can only take offense." But we also as a people mistake vile, vitriolic verbal attacks as offensive ...it ain't is verbal violence. I guess who those who took offense didn't know where the doors were."

Ramona

P.S. There are many a comedian who are hilarious not because of their "blue" language but because of their masterful use of verbiage ...they understanding timing and now some words are funny and some are not.

Ahhh, they didn't have me to say, ..."no one can offend you, you can only take offense." But we also as a people mistake vile, vitriolic verbal attacks as offensive ...it ain't is verbal violence. I guess who those who took offense didn't know where the doors were."

Ramona

P.S. There are many a comedian who are hilarious not because of their "blue" language but because of their masterful use of verbiage ...they understanding timing and now some words are funny and some are not.

Unfortunately for those that do enjoy those types of comedy shows, even after being warned numerous times prior to the start of the performance, they continued to sit there & then complain about the language.

Comedians on Princess have to walk a fine line between being funny without offending even one person.

This cruise has 22 ports of which 16 are in South America. There are two overnight ports. We have cruised South America twice and the ports require lots of planning. There are 22 sea days of which 2 have some scenic cruising, around 14 of them will be tropical and the rest cool to cold. You have to be comfortable and enjoy sea days and the on board activities provided. There will probably be around 4 production shows which will repeat during the different segments. Guest entertainers will probably not repeat. Encore is really good and I really enjoyed The Secret Silk, which is a 55 min musical story, not the usual. We did have some really good comics and other entertainers, but of course they may not be on this 2019 cruise. There will most likely be some Spanish language entertainers while you are in South America. There will be lots and lots of elites on board. They look for these longer cruises. Matt O'Brian mentioned to me that he is scheduled to be the CD. He is the best CD I ever experienced, very entertaining.

In 49 days of course DR menu items will repeat. Mix up your dining venues and don't forget the buffet. The Royal has one of the best buffets on the sea. We enjoyed their evening selections.

The final choice is yours. Will you enjoy 49 days away from home? Are you willing to do the planning to make the most of your South American port visits?

I'm curious as to what you mean about planning the port visits. Is South America different from other parts of the world in this respect?

To me, South America is more like Europe than the Caribbean. The ports are fascinating. You will not find many where you just go to the beach for the day. We did the 49 day cruise on the Grand in 2013. With roughly 2500 passengers, there were 1000 Elites, 1000 Platinums and 500 other. On Cruise Critic, there were nearly 500 on the Roll Call. There were over 100 private tours. I believe this was thee first time that Princess banned selling private tours at the M&G.

Hank

You have described me perfectly. To me, a cruise ship is simply an oversize and usually ridiculously oversized Staten Island Ferry.

Why do you have to have a moving portless round the world cruise? If you truly would like to have no port stops at all, would you take a "cruise" where the ship leaves port, anchors offshore for a week without moving and then comes back. It certainly would be as cheaper "cruise" as they would,not have to burn as much fuel as a normal cruise.

DON

Well the longest I've endured was 28 nights and frankly I was miserable getting off, It was almost like leaving home. In 2019 we'll be on a 106 day trip and it doesn't bother me at all. Some days are just sitting around doing nothing, other days would be trivia or movies and the shows. I think you'll be fine on 49 days providing that cruises are your thing.

My thoughts on a long cruise, ( ie 75 days pacific circle ( I dream ) ) is it like a home, but you are freed of a lot of the mundane tasks, to relax. So if you bored at home easily, you will get bored on a long cruise.

We tend to repeat holiday destinations, were land or cruise because we enjoy them, There is something nice about sameness, particularly if you enjoy it, like your favourite home cook dinner, which you enjoy every week or so.

The only thing stopping us taking a long cruise is parents in there 90's and us the only people to help.

Cheers Don