Does a 49 day trip get boring ?

banshe

Possibly taking a 49 day trip on the Royal. Very curious how such a long cruise works. For example, do you get the same menu about every 14 days or so ? Fortunately, on the Royal, there is Alfredos, but even that is no enough to crate variety if the menu in the dining room is repeated often.

I am sure that they bring in some local shows at some ports like they do in Hawaii etc., but they are usually forklolio shows with young people or even kids. How many production shows are there ? We have seen many of the production shows numerous times. It would be boring to be stuck on a ship that long, and have the seen the same old British, Magic to do, a show about a dream, Motown etc shows a number of times.

In other words, is Princess able to keep the food and entertainment fresh, or does it get very repetitive and boring on such a long trip ?

Well, I haven't done 49 nights, but I've done 20 on Princess and 28 on another line.

In part, it depends on how the cruise is sold. If the only way it is marketed is as a 49 night cruise, there will be fewer repeats. If it is marketed as several shorter segments, you can expect the entertainment to be repeated on each segment. Yes, the production shows on main stage will definitely be repeated. The menus will also repeat based on the B2Bs. For instance, on our 28 night, we had 14 nights of menus which repeated. That doesn't mean we had to eat the same thing--there are other venues on the ship and it is rare that there is only one item on the menu that is of interest to me.

Our 20 night was 11+9 B2B. My one warning would be that if there is something you really want to see or do, make sure it happens on the first leg--there is no promise that it will be repeated. For instance, on the first leg they did traditional Japanese storytelling in Japanese and in English. On the second leg it was in Japanese only.

I didn't find that being on the ship was boring, despite the first 14 nights of our 28 being a trans-Atlantic. I did find that the entertainment got boring, but I can always occupy myself with a book or a movie. On our 28 night, they brought on top grade local entertainment that was well worth seeing. They also added 3 additional production shows...but as noted, this was not Princess.

Thanks Moki'smommy. I wanted to change the title of the post to cruises of say 25 days or more, not just 49 days, but was not able to do it. 49 days goes from Florida aound South America to LA. We have done 22 days, but 49 is quite a jump, and we the different ports will be great, but are concerned that evenings on the ship will eventually get boring. The food is probably less of a problem than the evening entertainment unless a person is really into nightly trivia and game shows and we are not. Thnks for you response.

I find the main stage shows on Princess to be repetitive and boring. Seems I always choose ships with the shows I've already seen, despite the internet info about "new" shows. The variety entertainers range from great to awful, but that's likely to be more personal opinion. Other than that, I don't usually find evening activities on Princess to be thrilling.....but movies are decent, etc.

Personality driven. My wife does is a "doer", and can't be idle for long periods of time. I can :D :D:)

While some things might get repetitive, I could muscle through it and still enjoy it. My wife would eventually get stir crazy.;

Don

My longest Princess cruise was on the original Royal Princess, a re-positioning cruise for the ship from Fort Lauderdale to Rome. Boring? No.

On long HAL cruises that I have sailed, menus in the MDR are varied while popular items, i.e. Prime Rib, Creme Brulee, Shrimp Cocktail, do frequently occur. It's been awhile, but my favorite HAL long cruise, the Volendam's Maiden Asia/Pacific Cruise, featured frequent MDR menu items specific to the region in which we were sailing, i.e. Filet of Kangaroo. (And, it was tasty.)

Bored on a long sea voyage? Not in my experience!

Our longest so far was 33 nights.

The menu repeated once.

A few dishes made re appearances but on different menus.

By the same token it would have repeated much more frequently at home.

We don’t do a lot of shows, but reading the patters the6 didn’t seem to repeat much if at all.

But that was a true 33 night cruise. I’m not sure what would have happened if it was a string of b2bs.

Oh boy, would I like to do a long cruise! I like to sit in a deck chair and stare at the ocean!

It never gets boring. I occasionally bring a book or 2 and will read.

Ahhhhhh, I'm picturing it in my head now.

Big smile, staring at ocean.

This cruise has 22 ports of which 16 are in South America. There are two overnight ports. We have cruised South America twice and the ports require lots of planning. There are 22 sea days of which 2 have some scenic cruising, around 14 of them will be tropical and the rest cool to cold. You have to be comfortable and enjoy sea days and the on board activities provided. There will probably be around 4 production shows which will repeat during the different segments. Guest entertainers will probably not repeat. Encore is really good and I really enjoyed The Secret Silk, which is a 55 min musical story, not the usual. We did have some really good comics and other entertainers, but of course they may not be on this 2019 cruise. There will most likely be some Spanish language entertainers while you are in South America. There will be lots and lots of elites on board. They look for these longer cruises. Matt O'Brian mentioned to me that he is scheduled to be the CD. He is the best CD I ever experienced, very entertaining.

In 49 days of course DR menu items will repeat. Mix up your dining venues and don't forget the buffet. The Royal has one of the best buffets on the sea. We enjoyed their evening selections.

The final choice is yours. Will you enjoy 49 days away from home? Are you willing to do the planning to make the most of your South American port visits?

It depends on you. We have done a number of 40+ night cruises and we do not get bored. Others do.

The 49 day South America cruise is good in that it does not have the long run of sea days. I think the maximum is 3 days in a row at sea.

Oh boy, would I like to do a long cruise! I like to sit in a deck chair and stare at the ocean!

It never gets boring. I occasionally bring a book or 2 and will read.

Ahhhhhh, I'm picturing it in my head now.

Big smile, staring at ocean.

Yep.

Hard life.

We have taken 28 day cruises a couple of times and never got bored. My wife claims she never got bored with not having to cook, not having to dust furniture, not having to change bedding, not having to clean the toilet or shower, and not having to vacuum or mop the floors. For myself, I don't get bored with not having to take out the trash, not having to do yard work, not having 4-5 robo-phone calls each day, and not having to carry junk mail to the recycle bin.

I find lectures, books, and naps are great ways to avoid boredom on those afternoons on sea days.

Possibly taking a 49 day trip on the Royal. Very curious how such a long cruise works. For example, do you get the same menu about every 14 days or so ? Fortunately, on the Royal, there is Alfredos, but even that is no enough to crate variety if the menu in the dining room is repeated often.

I am sure that they bring in some local shows at some ports like they do in Hawaii etc., but they are usually forklolio shows with young people or even kids. How many production shows are there ? We have seen many of the production shows numerous times. It would be boring to be stuck on a ship that long, and have the seen the same old British, Magic to do, a show about a dream, Motown etc shows a number of times.

In other words, is Princess able to keep the food and entertainment fresh, or does it get very repetitive and boring on such a long trip ?

Don't know if it will get boring, I thought about it but I'm taking my chances. I'm doing this cruise and it will be my second ever and I'm doing it solo and single. I'm ambitions and take risks. I'm hoping to take lots of pictures and keep a journal to pass on to my granddaughter. I'm currently looking for a nice large South American map for her to hang up and track my movements. She is home schooled (she is six and technically in Kindergarten.) Hopefully this will be a History/Social Studies project for her.

Both her parents, my son and dil are aerospace engineers so she is very good in math.

If you decide to take the risk and jump into the "waters" come over to the Roll Call and I'll see you in the Meet & Mingle/Great

Ramona

The first time we did more than 60 days we wondered if we would get bored or simply tired of cruising. On that first 62 day cruise, towards the end my DW and I agreed we could easily stay aboard for another 62 days :).

But everyone is somewhat different and long cruises are not for everyone. You will find lots of repetition in terms of production shows and menu items (they might change menus...but the same items keep appearing). For those of us who love long cruises these kind of things are not even relevant. And there are some folks who do not even care about production shows. While on the 38 day HAL Voyage of the Vikings cruise last year, there was a couple (in the largest suite on the ship) who sat in the same piano bar seats for every night of the cruise. They had no interest in any other entertainment and just enjoyed listening to "Barry from Boston: night after night. DW and I have been on cruises with nearly 30 sea days...and seldom go to any scheduled activities on any sea day. For us, we are happy to find a nice comfy seat where we can sit and read.

Hank

My longest cruise was a 32-day Med/Trans-Atlantic with my DH. It was our first time to Europe. Every day was something new and different. We were glad to have the sea days to rest up from all of the excursions. We sailed over Thanksgiving, disembarking right before Christmas. The ship was decorated so beautifully! I think if you sail on a big ship, to somewhere you have never been, it would be hard to get bored. We both could have stayed on a little longer, no problem.

My longest cruise was a 32-day Med/Trans-Atlantic with my DH. It was our first time to Europe. Every day was something new and different. We were glad to have the sea days to rest up from all of the excursions.

First time we did 15 days, we wanted to book 15 more. First time we did 30, it wasn't until day 27 we said if we got off today we would not have totaly missed being on board. Our next long one of 31, we wished it was longer. We are now doing 60 this fall and looking forward to it, especially the days at sea at the end.

See you next May.

Our longest trip was a 13 day NZ followed by 9 days post cruise in Sydney then a B2B for the 18 day Transpacific followed by the 12 day Hawaii back to Seattle, so we had 30 days of consecutive cruising and we were kept busy the whole time. The menu tended to repeat themselves, however the shows were different. We had performers on our longest days stay on and do different shows. I guess it will depend on the cruise, ship etc on whether it could get boring but we found something to do.

First time we did 15 days, we wanted to book 15 more. First time we did 30, it wasn't until day 27 we said if we got off today we would not have totaly missed being on board. Our next long one of 31, we wished it was longer. We are now doing 60 this fall and looking forward to it, especially the days at sea at the end.

See you next May.

Lol, I'm now booked for three weeks on the Royal, two wasn't enough. ;)