Does a 49 day trip get boring ?

banshe

Our longest cruise was B2B2B of 15+15+13 days on another cruise line.

Biggest problem was not repeated entertainment (although the production shows did repeat each segment), but with speeches and comments by the Captain and the Cruise Director. These speeches and comments repeated each segment. By the end of the cruise I could have made all of the Captain's speeches verbatim.

Menus repeating was not a problem. If I liked something on the first segment, I might order it again on another segment. If I did not like an item on the first segment, then when that menu repeated I would order something else from the menu.

You do need to plan things that you like to do. We leave the end of the month on a 48 day cruise on the Pacific Princess. We like to read, so we now have over 700 books on our kindles.

We do most of the ports on our own, so I have the Rick Steves book for Northern Europe. I have already made preliminary plans for the ports, but will continue to refine them as we go along.

would love to find out someday as our longest cruise has only been 10 days...:(

we're slowly closing in on being able to start taking the longer ones, maybe the first being a true circle Caribbean, not a b2b...

I know the internet is often spotty at best, and I certainly don't have a device in my hand very often on a cruise, but a solid, AFFORDABLE, internet plan would be very nice to have...

The most consecutive days I have done so far are 32 and 35, and I am confident that I could do 49 or more without any boredom issues. For me, the more days onboard, hopefully with a good mix of sea days, the better I like it. I have no difficulty amusing myself on sea days, as I love to read, do crosswords, make new acquaintances, or just relax on the balcony or open deck, smelling the ocean air and enjoying the sea views. By the same token, I love visiting new ports, and repeating some favorite ports.

I'm not concerned about repeating menus, as I have never had difficulty finding something on the menu that I like. I like to change it up now and then with a dinner in one of the alternative restaurants, and occasionally in the Horizon Court.

Sometimes on longer cruises, the entertainers change out for a new group, so re-seeing the same production shows with different entertainers can be interesting.

You don’t have to be on a cruise to get repeated menus, just stay at our house - I often cook the same meals ;p :D.

We’d love to do a long cruise but have to wait until we retire :(.

Make it soon. As it is said, retirement is highly under rated!

would love to find out someday as our longest cruise has only been 10 days...:(

we're slowly closing in on being able to start taking the longer ones, maybe the first being a true circle Caribbean, not a b2b...

I know the internet is often spotty at best, and I certainly don't have a device in my hand very often on a cruise, but a solid, AFFORDABLE, internet plan would be very nice to have...

5 cruises or 50 days on Princess gets you lots of affordable internet mins.. They are no charge.

how many free minutes do you get as a platinum on a 49 day cruise?

500 per platinum member. It is not limited by cabin. If your 49 day cruise is also sold as two segments, you may get even more minutes.

Not sure if I can post the direct link, but google Yellow Fish Cruises, pescado amarillo is a regular poster here and they document their 100, 120, even 150 night cruise adventures and let me tell you it looks like they have never had a boring day.

I took the maiden on the Majestic for 49 days last year.. I had the concerns but

It was from Rome to Shanghai through the Suez. I had never been in Asia...everywhere else so at least 10 new countries and 15 new huge cities. I didn’t want to get off but I can’t say if it was a familiar ship and already seen ports if I would feel the same. Mike

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did a 47 day cruise a few years ago. There were a lot of sea days, which seems to be a "game changer" for some people. We are very low key and find just enjoying the ship, lectures (if they have them), movies, good books, conversation and the ever popular staring at the water is enough for us. The surprise came as we ended the trip in San Francisco on day 47. I woke early and as my DH slept, went out on the balcony to see the ship go under the bridge. I started crying and thought I might jump and swim ashore. Obviously, being home was important. Except for that little episode it was great!

We did a 47 day cruise a few years ago. There were a lot of sea days, which seems to be a "game changer" for some people. We are very low key and find just enjoying the ship, lectures (if they have them), movies, good books, conversation and the ever popular staring at the water is enough for us. The surprise came as we ended the trip in San Francisco on day 47. I woke early and as my DH slept, went out on the balcony to see the ship go under the bridge. I started crying and thought I might jump and swim ashore. Obviously, being home was important. Except for that little episode it was great!

This made me cry. thanks for sharing your memories ...but I don't think I will cry ...but who knows

Ramona

500 per platinum member. It is not limited by cabin. If your 49 day cruise is also sold as two segments, you may get even more minutes.

I believe it is 250 minutes for each of the three segments. So a total of 750 minutes. Does not matter how you book it.

We have done a 50 day and will be on the 49 day Royal cruise around South America. We will miss our daughter and grandchildren as well as our cats. The internet minutes come in very handy in keeping in contact. Being bored is never a problem. The meals did repeat a bit on the 50 day but no more than they do at home.

We have done 3 World Cruises. We were not bored. A wonderful way to see the world. But I am easily entertained. I read a lot on cruises because I cannot do much at home. But your cruise has a fair amount of ports. When we did South America, which was 62 days, we went on mostly private tours which are longer and more strenuous than Princess tours. So a day or two sea days were welcome. And as someone else said you will be on a ship with a great buffet. We were just on a 10 day on the Royal and ate in the buffet several times because of what they were serving. Plus I like there salad area.

At this stage in my life 49 would be much too long, but when my business wraps up, and our kids are all grown and gone, I think it would be great. I would need there to be a minimal number of sea days to really enjoy it however.

At this stage in my life 49 would be much too long, but when my business wraps up, and our kids are all grown and gone, I think it would be great. I would need there to be a minimal number of sea days to really enjoy it however.

On this particular trip 45% of the 49days /nights are sea days, 22.

Ramona

Just had a philosophical discussion with another cruise lover and we have a different take on this subject. People can be boring, but cruises are never boring :).

Hank

Unless there were some new activities planned along the way, 49 days is totally much to long.

Sleeping by the pool can get boring after a few days and something I can do at home. The shows are all repeats on Princess and unless they provided some new guest entertainers we haven't seen before we usually skip them altogether. Even the guest entertainers repeat their routines year after year.

Even the food can get monotonous after 20 days.

It's just too much of a good thing.

Unless there were some new activities planned along the way, 49 days is totally much to long.

Sleeping by the pool can get boring after a few days and something I can do at home. The shows are all repeats on Princess and unless they provided some new guest entertainers we haven't seen before we usually skip them altogether. Even the guest entertainers repeat their routines year after year.

Even the food can get monotonous after 20 days.

It's just too much of a good thing.

This falls into the different strokes for different folks category. We have been on a number of 40 to 50 day cruises and loved everyone. We did not get bored.