Just back from the Glory-Carnival just isn't for us anymore

We just got back yesterday from a cruise on the Glory and I think this will be our last on Carnival. The ship even though it was just in dry dock last year is still showing plenty of wear and tear. Although a good cruise there just continues to be way too many cut backs that seem to be more and more every time we try another cruise with them. The biggest thing we noticed this time was the room stewards and the insane amount of rooms each one has to clean. We started by asking for both morning and night service like there had always been in the past but by day 3 we told our room steward to just come in the morning as she could never seem to finish in the morning before 1 pm and was still doing the night stuff when we returned from our 6 pm dining time at 8.

Also very disappointing are the stage shows. The new playlist ones are just not good, we miss the big production shows and are something we have always looked forward to on our cruises. Besides being ear splitting loud they just aren't very entertaining and when person after person leaves mid way through it would seem that we aren't the only ones that feel that way.

The dining room food was fairly good but still not a great fan of the American Menu. Dress code in the dining room is non existent, shorts and t-shirts on formal night were a common thing. Not sure why they even bother with it. Guys burgers and The Blue Iguana never disappointed us, always fresh and hot.

The staff were fine ,especially our dining staff but many on other parts of the ship seemed to avoid any eye contact and rarely said hello even when we tried to greet them.

We have done many cruises with Carnival over the years but after trying some other lines recently and the vast differences between them, I think it's time for us to say good bye to the Fun Ships.

Sail On

Sherri

Here are my $.02. First, I would ask yourselves if you are tired of cruising in general and are ready to branch out or focus on other vacations. I think people who have cruised for years seem to forget that cutbacks are to be expected - you are paying the same rate now as people were paying in the 80's and 90's to cruise. There have also been many great additions like Alchemy, Guys, Blue Iguana, Sport Square, Serenity etc. In light of this, yes, the change in room steward schedule is one of the differences. But I have been plenty since the change and have in no way suffered a difference in service. I think on this occasion, you just got a slow/bad one.

Second, if you still want to cruise, what is it you are looking for in a cruise line? If entertainment is important, what type do you like? I am not a RCI fan but across the board it appears they are going to have some of the best shows. But like Carnival, they appear to be catering to families and they are clearly targeting "wow" factor. If you like quieter venues and bars, Princess could be a good fit. They are a more traditional cruise experience and have food that is as good as Carnival; as with all things, we like some things better on each line. As a general rule, you will pay more on Princess, but you also have a much wider array of itinerary options as it is a much more international line. Also, we find the clientele all-around classier.

I wish you the best in where-ever your travels take you.

I am trying Royal Caribbean for the first time this January for many of the same reasons. Unfortunately I keep getting told it is about the same at this price level.

I'm almost Diamond on Royal. My last carnival cruise was the breeze in 2016 and last royal was november 2017. They are so much more alike than different. Cutbacks everywhere...on both lines. I don't know if there is an easy answer other than raise prices and raise standards again.

I'm almost Diamond on Royal. My last carnival cruise was the breeze in 2016 and last royal was november 2017. They are so much more alike than different. Cutbacks everywhere...on both lines. I don't know if there is an easy answer other than raise prices and raise standards again.

The market doesn't want that. For those who want the "old" cruise experience, you are probably want to step up into something higher.

With cutbacks come other additions that might be enticing to new cruisers, such as contracted Broadway shows, specialty dining, Flowriders, waterslides, etc. The problem with staying loyal to one line for so long is, the things that first attracted you to that line start to disappear. So even stepping sideways to a similar line like RCI or NCL can be very refreshing, because you don't know what's been cut back.

I noticed in the OP's signature they branched out to HAL and Celebrity. I'm more in line with them. Lately, I'm more attracted to those lines than I am the family lines. I think its just because priorities change as we age.

The market doesn't want that. For those who want the "old" cruise experience, you are probably want to step up into something higher.

With cutbacks come other additions that might be enticing to new cruisers, such as contracted Broadway shows, specialty dining, Flowriders, waterslides, etc. The problem with staying loyal to one line for so long is, the things that first attracted you to that line start to disappear. So even stepping sideways to a similar line like RCI or NCL can be very refreshing, because you don't know what's been cut back.

I noticed in the OP's signature they branched out to HAL and Celebrity. I'm more in line with them. Lately, I'm more attracted to those lines than I am the family lines. I think its just because priorities change as we age.

I want to branch out, but by no means to I think royal or carnival is a bad vacation. It's still the most cost effective for me and I enjoy it. It's just from what I've found Royal and Carnival are more similar than anything...just choose your flavor. I want to try HAL and Celebrity but now I have a young guy to think about. We're going to take our 3 year old son on the Magic for a family vacation and it will be his first cruise. I just don't know how kid friendly HAL or Celebrity is really.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I have a theory that Carnival is gearing themselves towards "younger" cruisers these days. My husband and I fall on that blurred border between GenX and the Millennial generation at just turning 40 this year. (I've seen us referred to as the 'Oregon Trail' generation.) Our 40 looks nothing like our parent's 40. We could not care less about chocolates on our pillows, the live shows, the menus in the MDR as we don't dine there, tablecloths,etc. We want good, strong drinks in the bars, current live music throughout the ship, and an all around party atmosphere. I do not mean for this to be snarky in the least, but maybe look for a line that caters more to an older crowd? Even if you're not "older", maybe that's more to your liking? Just my 2 cents. :)

What an excellent response! We are 34 and 39, and have the same overall thoughts. I've been cruising for about 20 years now, and have seen the differences from then and now. And agree with OP that a lot has gone by the wayside, but:

Don't need personalized attention from all the employees (as long as they're not rude and do their job, could care less if they remember my name or go out of their way to say hi). Have never had a problem with even one employee on a cruise, ever.

As long as the room is clean, I would consider the steward to be excellent. I don't need a grand introduction and daily conversations.

Don't bother with the live shows all that much, cuz there's plenty more to do (go to the marriage game, see the comedians, night club, etc.)

Aren't picky about the food (they have so many options to choose from, you can't go hungry!) Even if it's bad, it really makes no difference. We can just go grab something else. Pizza at 2am after a few drinks and socialization, walking around watching the ocean go by...doesn't get better!

The un-supervised kids and rudeness/inconsideration of the passengers is the only thing that bothers us. But that's on any of the mass cruiselines that cater to families and "budget" travelers. But, we just shake our heads and move on. Maybe have a laugh at some of the ridiculous behavior and poor parenting. Saw an older man (70s) try to fight another gentleman in the Blue Iguana line one night an the Breeze a couple years ago -- that was interesting

Going on the Glory in November...hopefully will enjoy it!

ETA: I also don't get the obsession with the Cruise/Entertainment directors? They've never had an impact on our cruise. It's weird to me that some people choose a cruise based on this, or want the Directors (and Maitre'd's for that matter) to personally know them and need to meet and talk with them.

Edited by Bert64

I want to branch out, but by no means to I think royal or carnival is a bad vacation. It's still the most cost effective for me and I enjoy it. It's just from what I've found Royal and Carnival are more similar than anything...just choose your flavor. I want to try HAL and Celebrity but now I have a young guy to think about. We're going to take our 3 year old son on the Magic for a family vacation and it will be his first cruise. I just don't know how kid friendly HAL or Celebrity is really.

For the most part, I agree with you. What I'm saying though, is no matter how similar they might be, just that change in scenery, decor, uniforms, etc, can be like a whole new experience. I know I felt that way on my first Carnival cruise. While activities were very similar to certain classes of RCI ships, the look and layout of the ship made it feel like a something totally new to me.

We sailed Glory the week before you. No complaints. Some things we expected, but didn't let it bother us.

Food was hit and miss, but steakhouse was good. Chef's Table excellent.

Never had an issue making eye contact with ANY employee and all said "Hello" or "Hi."

Joanne in the piano bar was awesome...hopefully you spent some time there.

Yes, not a newer ship, but thought it was clean. Things like balcony railings could use some rework (especially aft cabins).

Cabin stewardess always had room ready and we have both morning/evening service.

Only went to one show...Epic Rock. Saw it before, but its pretty decent.

Sorry you had a bad time. Good news is that there are MANY other cruise lines that will take your money.

FWIW, we're going to try Celebrity in a couple of years to see how that compares.

Carnival is certainly preferring to get younger and inexperienced cruisers. They will spend much more on board than veterans

We saw a LOT of blue cards on our recent Glory sailing. More than I think I ever have.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I have a theory that Carnival is gearing themselves towards "younger" cruisers these days. My husband and I fall on that blurred border between GenX and the Millennial generation at just turning 40 this year. (I've seen us referred to as the 'Oregon Trail' generation.) Our 40 looks nothing like our parent's 40. We could not care less about chocolates on our pillows, the live shows, the menus in the MDR as we don't dine there, tablecloths,etc. We want good, strong drinks in the bars, current live music throughout the ship, and an all around party atmosphere. I do not mean for this to be snarky in the least, but maybe look for a line that caters more to an older crowd? Even if you're not "older", maybe that's more to your liking? Just my 2 cents. :)
Well, we started in our yearly 30-ies with a preteen, now mid 40-ies. I don't think our tastes changed that much. We love active fun, which we get just on about any lines, but still care a lot about quality of food, shows, service.

Carnival's decor and some other things didn't excite us even at the age of 30. :)

Some ships we liked better than others, but still not our cup of tea.

We are not loyal to any cruise line though, just like some more than others (cruise count doesn't attest to which lines we like more, as some cruises are taken due to geographical convenience)

Edited by Tatka

Great advice,thank you. A co worker was just telling me about MSC and they look like they have some great itineraries.

Sherri

MSC is nice, their newer ships are beautiful, their Yacht Club has fantastic service, but it is far different then Carnival, RCL, and NCL, and I'm sure cruisers can find fault with them as well!

No cruise line gives you everything, you might appreciate them, and their differences, or maybe not!

Guess the only way to find out, is try them!

PS MSC will have a private island for its ships to visit just off the coast of Miami, called Ocean Cay, with a planned opening date in the fall of 2019. ;p

We just got back yesterday from a cruise on the Glory and I think this will be our last on Carnival. The ship even though it was just in dry dock last year is still showing plenty of wear and tear. Although a good cruise there just continues to be way too many cut backs that seem to be more and more every time we try another cruise with them. The biggest thing we noticed this time was the room stewards and the insane amount of rooms each one has to clean. We started by asking for both morning and night service like there had always been in the past but by day 3 we told our room steward to just come in the morning as she could never seem to finish in the morning before 1 pm and was still doing the night stuff when we returned from our 6 pm dining time at 8.

Also very disappointing are the stage shows. The new playlist ones are just not good, we miss the big production shows and are something we have always looked forward to on our cruises. Besides being ear splitting loud they just aren't very entertaining and when person after person leaves mid way through it would seem that we aren't the only ones that feel that way.

The dining room food was fairly good but still not a great fan of the American Menu. Dress code in the dining room is non existent, shorts and t-shirts on formal night were a common thing. Not sure why they even bother with it. Guys burgers and The Blue Iguana never disappointed us, always fresh and hot.

The staff were fine ,especially our dining staff but many on other parts of the ship seemed to avoid any eye contact and rarely said hello even when we tried to greet them.

We have done many cruises with Carnival over the years but after trying some other lines recently and the vast differences between them, I think it's time for us to say good bye to the Fun Ships.

Sail On

Sherri

Based on your feedback it sounds like you would be more happy on Royal Caribbean

I agree with a lot of the comments. It really depends on what you're looking for. And it's true, many of them have cut back.

I also book based on itinerary. And I also book based on the experience I'm looking for (which can change from cruise to cruise). I have sailed on RCL, NCL, and Carnival. When I book with Carnival, it's usually for one or two reasons; I'm traveling with buddies, friends or family members and it's really one "big party" for us. We are focused on just having fun with "no frills".

When I book RCL, it's usually just the Mrs & I and we will book a suite and the two of us expect a little more "Royal" attention.

When I book with NCL, again it's usually just the Mrs & I and again we want the VIP treatment. So we get the Suites and take advantage of all the perks that come with it.

If I book a suite on Carnival, my Perk expectations are quite different because I know what to expect and more importantly what not to expect. :-)

That being said, your comments are valid and no matter the cut backs, I'd still expect staff to be pleasant and help to create a warm and welcoming environment.

Sail On

Sherri

Sounds like you might like Princess. The dining rooms are a bit more elegant but not stuffy. People dress up a bit but don't tend to overdo it. The stage shows are more Broadway than rock concert.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with tastes changing as you become accustomed to something. Variety is the spice of life you know.

OP: Try something new and see what you think. You might find another cruise line that suits your tastes and itinerary preferences better.

OP - From your signature, it appears you have been sailing Celebrity recently. Would like to hear how are they working out for you. We do not find much difference in overall experience between RCCL and Carnival (each has pros/cons for us depending on our desired vacation experience). Thanks for any insight.

There comes a time for some of us, when we outgrow a particular type of vacation, or cruise line, resort type or even vacation type. I have friends who loved to camp every year, said it was the best vacation ever (not for me!!), but as they have reached finally near my age, they are looking for a different vacation style, and reluctantly admit they are no longer willing to camp out, and want more of a vacation, but yes, they finally admitted camping is no longer their thing.

I have not outgrown cruising, but have probably somewhat outgrown Carnival cruises. I don't see that there are so many cutbacks, but just changes that don't really even impact me, but still I feel that I need to try a different line for my next cruise. Most likely I will cruise Carnival again, because I still like them, just feel that after 8 Carnival cruises, I need to experience a different cruise line, cruise experience.

OP, perhaps you are feeling these same things. Perhaps you need to try another line. Celebrity looks good, but for me a solo cruiser who loves anytime dining, NCL is probably going to be my next choice.

OP, you are not alone in your thoughts, hang in there. Try either a different cruise line, or a different vacation type, ie all inclusive. Best wishes for your future travels.

Carnival is certainly preferring to get younger and inexperienced cruisers. They will spend much more on board than veterans
I know this is a common sentiment among long-time cruisers, but I don't know if it's that much of a difference. The claim seems to be that long-time cruisers know all the tips and tricks to save money, so they spend less. Maybe, maybe not. First, I would tend to agree that many first-time cruisers might spend more since it's all so new and they're looking to do it all. But it doesn't take long for someone who's willing to do a little research to figure out how to save. There's also a lot of long-time cruisers who do things like always buy Cheers, eat in the specialty restaurants a lot, and play in the casino a lot. So while a new cruiser might spend more booking an excursion through Carnival, for example, instead of booking through the excursion company itself like many long-timers do, those long-timers end up making up the difference in other ways. As a new cruiser myself (next month's will only be our second) and someone who's spent the last 3+ years in the old Carnival FunVille forums and Cruise Critic, what I see are a lot of long-time cruisers who like to create a division between themselves and new cruisers. Also, long-timers who constantly complain about what they no longer get, "cutbacks," and lessening service. Don't you think Carnival notices this? Sure they do and no business likes that kind of PR. As a business, it stands to reason that they'd like to bring in cruisers who enjoy the product for what it is rather than those who complain about what it once was. But they're not abandoning the concept of loyalty altogether. They've said themselves they're hoping to start new ways to create new cruisers into loyal ones.

Creeping up on 43 here. I'm Gen X, through and through. Nothing like millennials, so won't even go there. If Carnival is leaning towards a younger customer base, I'd prefer it isn't too young. I'd much rather spend several days on a ship with people as old and older than myself. I've been called an "old soul" more than once.There aren't too many who are much younger than me who I have much in common with. I agree in that I couldn't care less about chocolates on the pillows. If having a tiny chocolate everyday is so important to someone, they can bring their own. I know, I know, it's not the actual chocolate, it's the service, or ambiance it creates, or whatever the idea behind it is. I also don't care about tablecloths. We have a restaurant nearby that still does tablecloths on some of their tables (not all) and I find them to be more annoying than anything. And I certainly don't think chocolates and tablecloths are a big enough deal to still be complaining about years later.

One thing we don't agree on is music. As a teen, I listened to a lot of loud music...and I'm talking "probably did me harm" loud. I was a teen of the early 90's and yes, I had one of those insane bass sound systems in my car. But I've changed. I don't want a cruise line that blares music everywhere. I want to be able to talk to a person without yelling at them. And I'm not into current music as much as I am stuff from the 90's and earlier. Especially the 80's. The 80's was the greatest decade for music, movies, and as a child of the 80's, toys!! I don't want a party atmosphere 24/7. We don't hang out in bars. As far as dining, I would think a younger cruising crowd would prefer the MDR over the specialty restaurants, but I could be wrong. We thoroughly enjoyed the MDR and look forward to it again next month. We loved Epic Rock and can't wait to see it again. Also looking forward to a few of the other Playlist Productions that will be showing next month that we haven't seen. I'll wait to pass judgement on Playlist overall after our next cruise.

ETA: I also don't get the obsession with the Cruise/Entertainment directors? They've never had an impact on our cruise. It's weird to me that some people choose a cruise based on this, or want the Directors (and Maitre'd's for that matter) to personally know them and need to meet and talk with them.
I agree. Full disclosure, we've only been on one cruise, two years ago, with our second next month. The ED was a fun guy, but I can't tell you his name (I think he said he was retiring that year). I don't really care. If you entertain us on board, awesome, but we're not going to base our cruise on your talents as an entertainment director. We were in the MDR on our last night with a family who was saying goodbye to their waiter. Actually, he might've been an assistant waiter. They were crying and kind of making a scene. They said they stay in touch with him, find out which ship he'll be on, and base their cruises (or at least some of them) on where he is. That's nuts to me!

If you go on NCL, you'll pay almost double the price for the cruise, have a smaller bathroom and a shower you can't even turn around in, and the food will be mediocre and tasteless.
Not even remotely true. I sailed the NCL Escape with a balcony and a drink package for my wife and I for less than we did for a Spa Inside on the Vista and no drink package or anything ..... so no. I also am sailing the brand new Bliss to the Panama Canal next year for 15 days. It's cheaper on the new Bliss including a drink package for my wife and I then it is on any Carnival ship doing the same cruise the same month by $900. Again .... nope. Food on NCL is way better than Carnival and I say this with 2020 Panorama cruise on Carnival booked already for 2020. I'm honest and have no reason to lie and am loyal to no line. On another note, we sailed the new MSC Seaside in April with our kids and nothing but maybe the Vista even comes close to the MSC Seaside which was 30% less. People need to broaden their horizons not just a little but a lot .....

OP - From your signature, it appears you have been sailing Celebrity recently. Would like to hear how are they working out for you. We do not find much difference in overall experience between RCCL and Carnival (each has pros/cons for us depending on our desired vacation experience). Thanks for any insight.

We actually really like Celebrity. The only reason we sailed the Glory and at this time if the year ,was because our son was getting married on St Thomas and they picked the cruise. It seems that many read more into my OP then what I actually said. It was by no means a terrible cruise and we are not "old folks" at 55. HAL and Celebrity do not allow smoking in their casino and I had forgotten how bad it gets on that deck when walking by or trying to stop to have pictures taken. It was also interesting in our past guest party that they told us there were only 25 Diamond and 154 Platinum guests on board, far different then what it's been on other cruises.

Carnival is great option for families and all though we have never used it I know they have a great kids program.Joanne is the Piano was indeed very good and we spent a couple of nights in there. We also very much enjoy interacting with the staff and getting to know them, after all they tend to be family after a week or more on board. This time we just didn't leave the ship feeling very sad, even the song on the final night in the dining room did not bring tears to my eyes like it always has in the past.

Sherri

We actually really like Celebrity. The only reason we sailed the Glory and at this time if the year ,was because our son was getting married on St Thomas and they picked the cruise. It seems that many read more into my OP then what I actually said. It was by no means a terrible cruise and we are not "old folks" at 55. HAL and Celebrity do not allow smoking in their casino and I had forgotten how bad it gets on that deck when walking by or trying to stop to have pictures taken. It was also interesting in our past guest party that they told us there were only 25 Diamond and 154 Platinum guests on board, far different then what it's been on other cruises.

Carnival is great option for families and all though we have never used it I know they have a great kids program.Joanne is the Piano was indeed very good and we spent a couple of nights in there. We also very much enjoy interacting with the staff and getting to know them, after all they tend to be family after a week or more on board. This time we just didn't leave the ship feeling very sad, even the song on the final night in the dining room did not bring tears to my eyes like it always has in the past.

Sherri

Things change...I only used to sail RCL and no one could convince me to sail Carnival but one day I gave it a chance and liked Carnival overall better than RCL.

In addition I did one Celebrity (liked it) and one MSC (OK) and one Norwegian (hated it!)

I'm always open to a new line and even thought of trying Norwegian again just to keep open minded and it sails from NY which would eliminate flying. A plus for me...And might even do another RCL since Cape Liberty is even closer than NY.

Choices...Choices....So glad we have them!