INDI Bad news for Diamond and Diamond +

This is an interesting and amusing thread. Let me ask all of you well to do B2B2B cruisers. Do any of you EVER purchase a drink outside of your three freebies? We will never be diamond, we are regular people with jobs, meaning we vacation once a year. We purchase drink packages, it simply allows us to better manage vacation finances. When we’re at a bar during the well to do Diamond’s happy hours, we see people we never otherwise see at the bar. Would you actually have that drink if it wasn’t free? Somehow, I think not. The cruise lines have followed the lead of the airlines. Remember United’s double and triple miles? People were flying free all over the world. Now, we pay for our luggage to fly with us and we may get a bag of chips in coach. The planes always fly to full capacity. The cruise lines need new blood. They need a constant flow of new customers. Handing out free drinks to people who brag about spending nothing on the ships isn’t what the cruise lines need.

It’s interesting that the same people complaining about their lack of private space to have free drinks from RCCL will also be the first ones to tell everyone to NEVER use the cruise lines shore excursion, or always brag of bringing aboard their own bottled water or soda. You want it both ways. You want an inexpensive but exclusive for YOU only vacation.

You should be grateful that RCCL gives you three free drinks per day. They don’t have to do that. I’m sure it will end soon.

What is a “bad thing to me” is a sarcastic, arrogant and condescending tone. Consistenty. If you are, in fact, a representative of Royal, that tone should be a “bad thing” to them as well.

There is no "tone" in the written word, only what you read into something. I find Carole's posts very informative and to the point. Gee, maybe being a retired English teacher has something to do with it. She doesn't represent Royal. She is a cruiser that has taken more cruises than most of the posters on here, combined.

So maybe you need change your perception of the information presented.

After reading all these posts I would like to know if the ships with SL (I'm a lowly D+ so not allowed) and DL which can become very overcrowded, do they still have an overflow area depending on how the number of D/D+s are on the ship.

On the Radiance the D+'s could still use the CL.

Just off Brilliance and this was correct for our cruise. But ithere was a discussion that on the current cruise taking place, things will most likely change as there was to be a very large amount of D, D+, & P on this cruise. As a result, the talk was that the Viking Crown (Starquest) will be closed for happy hour to all cruisers but D & up, Gold Card holders. The closure would then allow for Royal to expand to handle all of the D & D+ on one side, and Suite & P on the other side. Again... this was just discussion and I of course am not there to verify.

But either way, I have a feeling they are all having a pretty great time!

After reading all these posts I would like to know if the ships with SL (I'm a lowly D+ so not allowed) and DL which can become very overcrowded, do they still have an overflow area depending on how the number of D/D+s are on the ship.

I've not yet seen an SL become overcrowded or require an overflow. However, I'd not been on a transatlantic cruise on a ship with an SL. I would think that transatlantics would be a special case anyhow.

The facts are that you are allowed as a d+. In fact, if you book a full suite and use the SL you will see that there are always several d,+ and all levels of c&a in there including 1st time cruisers. Royal welcomes all there and does not ban anybody. Crowding in the lounges is mostly over by 6pm as lots leave to eat, but you should know all this as a d+

When we’re at a bar during the well to do Diamond’s happy hours, we see people we never otherwise see at the bar.

Personally, I would be more concerned about those who sit at a bar all day long and who are able to recognize who comes and goes based on the time of the day than I would about those who are taking advantage of their free perk.

It’s interesting that the same people complaining about their lack of private space to have free drinks from RCCL will also be the first ones to tell everyone to NEVER use the cruise lines shore excursion, or always brag of bringing aboard their own bottled water or soda. You want it both ways. You want an inexpensive but exclusive for YOU only vacation.

You should be grateful that RCCL gives you three free drinks per day. They don’t have to do that. I’m sure it will end soon.

Each side wants to keep their money. That's how things work.

Royal offers the drinks as part of their loyalty program. It attracts business. They're not doing it to be charitable. If it ends, it ends.

I would usually (but not always) recommend against the cruise line excursions because they are usually overpriced and overcrowded. Seems like a good reason to avoid them. I'm not going to purchase one just because I feel sorry for Royal. If I saw a good value there, I would purchase. So maybe they should improve their shore excursion product.

1. Here is an English grammar lesson. I did not call you a moron. I said that the announcement, on top of so many others on this forum, is moronic. There is a difference. One can do an adorable thing without being adorable, for example. You're welcome.

2. A Junior Suite has never been entitled to any so-called suite privileges.

3. A modicum of research before your cruise would have given you this information about the new Suite Lounge.

4. The nattering on and on and on about "loss of privileges" and "the sky is falling" - it's all a bit much. Poor little cruiser. You ONLY have access to ONE dedicated lounge for three and a half hours of free drinks each night. You ONLY have 3 vouchers to use at any of the two dozen or so bars for three and a half hours each night. (I have no idea what Independence's policy is on the restaurants; some ships allow the use of the vouchers in them; some don't, and this keeps changing)

And all of this moaning and whinging (see? I am bilingual; I speak British, too ;) ) about the changes is both common and tiresome.

As to my SECOND post - immediately after, someone had to ask and someone had to explain about yet another specific ship question, all of which is answered in my post.

To borrow from Burt Bacharach and Hal David in Promises, Promises, A Fact Can Be a Beautiful Thing.

Speaking of a beautiful thing, you're a thing of beauty when it come to info on the topics...but seriously, if you grow tired of responding to questions, threads, and topics, take a break. Because your angst comes out.

BTW, I have to only disagree w/ your #1. If you do an adorable thing, you can be considered adorable. ;p

I've not yet seen an SL become overcrowded or require an overflow. However, I'd not been on a transatlantic cruise on a ship with an SL. I would think that transatlantics would be a special case anyhow.

I was asking if they overflow the DL since they made it smaller. Going on the Adventure next week so will check it out

The facts are that you are allowed as a d+. In fact, if you book a full suite and use the SL you will see that there are always several d,+ and all levels of c&a in there including 1st time cruisers. Royal welcomes all there and does not ban anybody. Crowding in the lounges is mostly over by 6pm as lots leave to eat, but you should know all this as a d+

Good to know and yes I do know a good time to go is after 6 PM and we don't usually go until after dinner. As for a full suite for us is not an option

I was asking if they overflow the DL since they made it smaller

On our last cruise on Adventure (not a transatlantic), the DL did not have an overflow. However, the DL was not made smaller on Adventure. I've not been on any ship in the last few years where the DL was made smaller.

I believe RCCL is moving toward catering more to the suite guests. As you are aware, on those ships with a CL the lounge is shared with the suite, pinnacle and D+ guests and often overcrowding exists. A suite guest, who may be paying $1000 a day for a cruise and is unable to get a seat in the lounge has a reasonable gripe. Suite guests, other than those in genie cabins, don't get three drinks on their card as do D and D+ and pinnacle.

On some sailings the large number of pinnacle guests is beginning to stress the lounges much to the chagrin of suite guests.

I saw a documentary recently about first airlines. The airline featured claimed that it was first and business class that made the money. In fact it subsidised economy travel. I wonder if the same applies to cruise lines. The cheap cabins might fill the ship and help cruise lines break even, but it is the suites that make them money.

This is an interesting and amusing thread. Let me ask all of you well to do B2B2B cruisers. Do any of you EVER purchase a drink outside of your three freebies? We will never be diamond, we are regular people with jobs, meaning we vacation once a year. We purchase drink packages, it simply allows us to better manage vacation finances. When we’re at a bar during the well to do Diamond’s happy hours, we see people we never otherwise see at the bar. Would you actually have that drink if it wasn’t free? Somehow, I think not. The cruise lines have followed the lead of the airlines. Remember United’s double and triple miles? People were flying free all over the world. Now, we pay for our luggage to fly with us and we may get a bag of chips in coach. The planes always fly to full capacity. The cruise lines need new blood. They need a constant flow of new customers. Handing out free drinks to people who brag about spending nothing on the ships isn’t what the cruise lines need.

You'll fit in just fine around here. Post more often.

There is no "tone" in the written word, only what you read into something. I find Carole's posts very informative and to the point. Gee, maybe being a retired English teacher has something to do with it. She doesn't represent Royal. She is a cruiser that has taken more cruises than most of the posters on here, combined.

Merion_mom is one of the funnest and nicest people I've had the honour to hang around with on a cruise. She is on par with Bob for RCL knowledge, facts about ships and being helpful.

I don't mind being limited to the D lounge but the New Amsterdam is killin me. After I take a sip, I can't smile. I tried really hard.
It's fine with Cranberry and lime.

And the Molly's I mentioned earlier is fine on ice.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I read the boards frequently, especially when planning a cruise. I don’t find the super duper cruisers to be of great informative value, but the normal people, like me, cruising once or maybe twice a year to have great perspective. The funny thing, when aboard one of Royals ships, unless you run into someone bragging about their status, you will have NO IDEA there are special rooms for the elites. That has to bother some of them. We have only been on 15 cruises, but scattered among three cruise lines. That means we don’t have and will never have that elite experience unless we travel in a suite. We’re basic balcony people. Our line of choice is now RCCL because we like the ships and itineraries the best. I just hope the presence of us normal people doesn’t ruin the experience of you elites. When we stop enjoying cruising, we’ll try other vacations. For those of you with time to cruise B2B2B2B2B and enjoy your three free drinks daily, good for you! Be happy that perk is there, for now.

On Mariner they had a Suites only sail away up on the helipad. I only saw a couple of Pinnacle Club members there. We would not have been there without our GS upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Because it's correct. Because asking again won't change that. Why does being informed and sharing that information seem to be a bad thing to you?

Not quite factually correct, on Johns review of his trip on Mariner, C&A, D and above had more than three added to their cards.