Tender ports??????

Eric,

You said it correctly. Hope it was o.k. for me to copy your "write up" and send it. I just sent it to Guest Relations.

Peter

Not at all. I cut it down from the original version, I wanted to be succinct and get my point across without rambling on too much or ranting.

All that empty space on sites is a new feature I just don't get. I was viewing it on a 24" Widescreen Monitor and still had to scroll bunches. I get it that they are gearing more towards touchscreen tablets than displays these days, but still, I just don't get it. Especially the part about having to click on the 'read more' to see the full itinerary, who in the world only wants to see the first 2 days.

Not at all. I cut it down from the original version, I wanted to be succinct and get my point across without rambling on too much or ranting.

All that empty space on sites is a new feature I just don't get. I was viewing it on a 24" Widescreen Monitor and still had to scroll bunches. I get it that they are gearing more towards touchscreen tablets than displays these days, but still, I just don't get it. Especially the part about having to click on the 'read more' to see the full itinerary, who in the world only wants to see the first 2 days.

Another case of webpage designers who never use the site and have no idea what the average user wants or needs.

IMO, informing customers of which ports are planned to b e tender is not opttonal, it is requried information and buyers should not have to hunt around to find that informagtion. To omit i t is a serious breach of honesty in selling and they need to correct that lack of information. They cannot assum e people looiking at their site should know to search all around to get that informat ion. Just the opposite,,,,,,,,,, the Buyer should be able to trust important informtion of that sort is suppllied. . Not everyone has cruised in the ;past and may not know t to look for which ports require tendering. . HAL should be held responsi ble to correct the deficiency in the informaion they provide.

Edited by sail7seas

• 5 months later...
On 5/15/2018 at 8:13 PM, mamaofami said:

This is really ridiculous. I need to know which ports are tender when deciding on a cruise. Most of the time I stay onboard when it's a tender port.

I agree. 

We usually don't tender, so if we have too many tender ports on an itinerary,  I don't bother to book it.  I've sent my tender request to website support, so we'll see what happens.

Princess still is listing which ports require tenders.  So, it may help to look up a similar cruise on Princess.

I go to Princess a lot for their shore excursions, because they provide a very good outline with a lot of information that Hal's EXC's tours don't provide.

Edited by knittinggirl

• 9 months later...
22 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

It isn't entirely accurate. In some ports who docks and who tenders varies. I've docked at Icy Strait and I've tendered at Icy Strait. Ditto for Sitka. I think there have been times Juneau is so crowded someone has to tender. That happens in Sydney (Canada), too. 

Instead of making a master list, HAL needs to annotate each itinerary. Where they don't know yet but it might be a tender port, mark it "possible tender." They used to do that.

This is one more reason we always use the option to put a courtesy hold on our bookings.  That way we get to see the cruise confirmation, which does show tender stops and some other information.  Also, once on hold and with a booking number, you can log in, "manage" your booking, see more detail -- sometimes excursions and air options, depending on how far out you book.

Once we see that everything falls into place and that the booking looks correct, then we make our deposit.

3 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It isn't entirely accurate. In some ports who docks and who tenders varies. I've docked at Icy Strait and I've tendered at Icy Strait. Ditto for Sitka. I think there have been times Juneau is so crowded someone has to tender. That happens in Sydney (Canada), too. 

Instead of making a master list, HAL needs to annotate each itinerary. Where they don't know yet but it might be a tender port, mark it "possible tender." They used to do that.

so agree - even on your itinerary it may be marked as tender and you may dock.  

I can’t name all the ports listed as tenders as 1/2 of them aren’t even on the list.  the ports are gone with the loss of the Prinsendam.

We docked in Monte Carlo on the Prinsendam while the N Amsterdam anchored and actually rescued/harboured their people on board when the N Amsterdam couldnt’ hold anchor.

Fuerteventura created a dock for a ship but no one would try it.  Prinsendam did.  An unforgettable moment.  Loved it when the announcement came - sorry ladies and gentleman, but we can’t tender today.  You’ll have to walk off. 😉 

A ton of ports where this happened in the past. 

On the larger ships, most ports are pretty much a tender but that isn’t always the case.

• Like 1

Now, this is interesting.  While many times we have docked at a port that was designated a tender port, we have never had the opposite occur -- that we expected to dock and ended up tendering.  So we've been prepared for the worst, but then pleasantly surprised by a nice walk off the ship. 

Am I understanding correctly that sometimes the tender is a surprise?  That would be pretty distressing for some passengers.

o.k.  here is what happens when I book...

Once I am booked my TA from Seattle with close ties to HAL sends me two invoices.   One from the TA and one from HAL.

The HAL invoice shows the detailed itinerary in the pages of the invoice.   Look at the legends for Tender Ports.  Note that the itinerary is always subject to change.

You should ask your TA for the HAL invoice.

Example below:

31652015367_d57b416146_o.png

Edited by SFO PETER
added

18 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

Am I understanding correctly that sometimes the tender is a surprise?

Once we forced to tender when another ship had mechanical problems and couldn't vacate the pier where we supposed to dock, but it's pretty rare.

• Like 1