Best Practical Jokes on Board?? Harmless suggestions?

This isn’t a prank, but rather a fun game we offered to our dinner server if they wanted to play.

We often travel with 2-3 other families with whom we have kids (2-3 per family) of similar age. We don’t always sit next to our kids and sometimes it’s girls and guys so it’s not usually obvious whose kids belong to whom and even who is married to whom.

So at the beginning of dinner we tell our server about our game and he is welcome to play or not. We have never been told no. The rules are throughout dinner he tries to guess which kids belongs to which parent. He only has to get one parent right. For each kid he successfully matches to a parent he gets $5. No penalty for getting anything wrong. (We also make it clear this is in addition to not instead of our normal tip). And if they get a lot wrong we always have “consolation” prize money for playing.

It was CRAZY how one kid that wasn’t ours almost always got matched up with my husband. And my son who I think looks so much like my husband got matched up with another dad. (Before anyone starts wondering, we met well after our kids were born!)

Our first cruise together where we did this we did quite a bit of specialty dining so did it four times. (Same servers in MTD so couldn’t repeat there). On the last night our waiter was so excited and said he had heard several other servers talking about this game during the week and he was hoping he would get us so he could play. And he got all but one kid correct so either he was really good or there was some shared knowledge. [emoji6]

Others cruises we have done it with my family or DHs family and it’s quite surprising how our opinion of who looks like which parent is not often the same as what others see.

Several times a manager or other server comes overs and asks if he can help guess which of course we love and allow.

We had so many laughs over this and pretty sure its fun for the wait staff as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They really don't have an option to "play along" or not. Notice how your game jams up the other tables who aren't "playing along"?

They really don't have an option to "play along" or not. Notice how your game jams up the other tables who aren't "playing along"?

Your first statement - your opinion. Your choice to think that.

Your second statement - Only as much as any other table that has a discussion beyond food with the servers.

Agreed. Servers aren't there for the amusement of patrons who rope them into playing stupid parlor games.

OP, I am guessing you are around 12 years old, and your little siblings and cousins think your pranks are hilarious. I'm curious what the grownups think?

Mr Geeks, you obviously have not read this entire thread esp the beginning opening remark

I just had another prank idea! It hails from my bartending days and can be done very simply to a friend. Though it would probably be best done outside as there is just a little bit of a mess...

You convince your friend to do a "Tidal Wave Shot". Don't tell your friend what's in it. A Tidal Wave shot is 2 shot glasses, one with a blue liquor and one with water. Tell your friend to take the blue shot first and then immediately follow with the clear one. But either while their taking the blue or as they're setting it down, throw the water in their face and yell "Tidal Wave!". It's only 1 ounce of water so it's not very messy and relatively harmless. This is usually good for a "shock and awe" followed by a good laugh.

Why is this funny? Belittling and cruelty to others are really not funny; why would people think it is? Seems immature and victimizes people. Some on this thread seem to not get a grasp on why such behaviors are unacceptable; they are just not funny. Some soul searching seems to be in order.

Safe cruising all!

This isn’t a prank, but rather a fun game we offered to our dinner server if they wanted to play.

We often travel with 2-3 other families with whom we have kids (2-3 per family) of similar age. We don’t always sit next to our kids and sometimes it’s girls and guys so it’s not usually obvious whose kids belong to whom and even who is married to whom.

So at the beginning of dinner we tell our server about our game and he is welcome to play or not. We have never been told no. The rules are throughout dinner he tries to guess which kids belongs to which parent. He only has to get one parent right. For each kid he successfully matches to a parent he gets $5. No penalty for getting anything wrong. (We also make it clear this is in addition to not instead of our normal tip). And if they get a lot wrong we always have “consolation” prize money for playing.

It was CRAZY how one kid that wasn’t ours almost always got matched up with my husband. And my son who I think looks so much like my husband got matched up with another dad. (Before anyone starts wondering, we met well after our kids were born!)

Our first cruise together where we did this we did quite a bit of specialty dining so did it four times. (Same servers in MTD so couldn’t repeat there). On the last night our waiter was so excited and said he had heard several other servers talking about this game during the week and he was hoping he would get us so he could play. And he got all but one kid correct so either he was really good or there was some shared knowledge. [emoji6]

Others cruises we have done it with my family or DHs family and it’s quite surprising how our opinion of who looks like which parent is not often the same as what others see.

Several times a manager or other server comes overs and asks if he can help guess which of course we love and allow.

We had so many laughs over this and pretty sure its fun for the wait staff as well.

Totally disrespectful to the servers/staff.

How would you like it if someone played a joke on you (for a quite a few days) at your job and you had to 'make do' with the disrespectful behaviors because your salary depended on it?

How sad that you think this is 'fun'.

Totally disrespectful to the servers/staff.

How would you like it if someone played a joke on you (for a quite a few days) at your job and you had to 'make do' with the disrespectful behaviors because your salary depended on it?

How sad that you think this is 'fun'.

I didn't get the idea that a joke was played on the servers, and certainly no disrespectful behaviour was exhibited. I got the impression it was a simple, fun little game, and their permission was asked. Seems pretty darn harmless to me.

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a good practical joke to suggest, and I'm just not that clever.

OP, thanks for starting this thread. You've proven that not everybody in this world are uptight! My motto: Too much fun still isn't enough!

Your first statement - your opinion. Your choice to think that.

Your second statement - Only as much as any other table that has a discussion beyond food with the servers.

Can't you understand that, to the extent the servers spend ANY extra time playing your "fun game", it takes away from the (very little) time that they have to attend to those at other tables --- and that is already barely enough to handle the "discussion" about food.

You merry pranksters need to think beyond your own amusement when it starts to impact others.

I didn't get the idea that a joke was played on the servers, and certainly no disrespectful behaviour was exhibited. I got the impression it was a simple, fun little game, and their permission was asked. Seems pretty darn harmless to me.

It is demeaning because they offer a $5 "prize" to play their stupid "game" and no doubt there is much laughter at the server's expense when they guess incorrectly.

Servers on a cruise ship are not particularly well paid, often from developing countries and cajoling them into being your personal table-side entertainment is disrespectful to both them and the other passengers.

Servers have a job to do and often have little time in which do do it. Indulging self-important nitwits who offer them "prizes" to play moronic games is not in their job description.

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a good practical joke to suggest, and I'm just not that clever.

OP, thanks for starting this thread. You've proven that not everybody in this world are uptight! My motto: Too much fun still isn't enough!

As OP, I have gone on record in defense that these jokes are friendly fun between consenting adults who travel together as friends... Let's think about this for a little while.... A friend is someone you know (and they know you).. your personality and the fact that you are cruising together means that you actually enjoy each others company. Does any one of the haters actually think that you set sail with friends & it's the 1st time you play a practical joke ?? Good way to end a friendship if your friends would react negatively. But when you think about it, the reason we are friends in the 1st place is we both appreciate a good joke every now & again! This is why I was seeking simple, light hearted fun. Some suggestions made may not be my cup of tea, but others I find very funny.

Either way, your cruise will not be impacted because I have stated a million times this is not to involve other guests - I get that, it's your vacation & no-one wants this to affect others outside of our group.

Please lighten up people !! Thanks Julie3fan for the support!

Can't you understand that, to the extent the servers spend ANY extra time playing your "fun game", it takes away from the (very little) time that they have to attend to those at other tables --- and that is already barely enough to handle the "discussion" about food.

You merry pranksters need to think beyond your own amusement when it starts to impact others.

Give me a break! - Do you mean that you have NEVER actually spent time talking to a member of the crew? Have you ever spent 60 seconds learning about their home? Have you ever gotten into a 5 minute conversation about how they enjoy the Cruise line / what is there favorite ship or where do they go next ? Seeing your amount of cruises I am certain you have..... Therefore you mean to tell me your conversation is fine, but them willingly participating in a friendly joke is not fine ? You must immediately stop speaking with all crew as you waste their time !!! Pleeeaase !!

Edited by cruizer rick

Servers have a job to do and often have little time in which do do it. Indulging self-important nitwits who offer them "prizes" to play moronic games is not in their job description.

Self-important nitwits? Moronic games? Judge much?

You must seethe inside anytime a server is "forced" to sing Happy Birthday to one of their guests. That's another 30 seconds of their life they'll never get back!

Give me a break! - Do you mean that you have NEVER actually spent time talking to a member of the crew? Have you ever spent 60 seconds learning about their home? Have you ever gotten into a 5 minute conversation about how they enjoy the Cruise line / what is there favorite ship or where do they go next ? Seeing your amount of cruises I am certain you have..... Therefore you mean to tell me your conversation is fine, but them willingly participating in a friendly joke is not fine ? You must immediately stop speaking with all crew as you waste their time !!! Pleeeaase !!

I find it hard to believe that you do not see the difference between a brief passing conversation with a staff member and engaging an overworked dining room steward in a game with your table mates.

I find it hard to believe that you do not see the difference between a brief passing conversation with a staff member and engaging an overworked dining room steward in a game with your table mates.

NavyBankTeacher.... Please articulate for all how your 5 minute conversation is different that a 5 minute participation in my joke? End of day, both are 5 minutes? If you don't like my taking their time - why are you allowed the same ?? Is your waiter or cabin steward not overworked ?? Is it OK for you to talk to them because it is not funny or "time wasting" in your opinion (and therefore in your mind move productive)?

Notice how when you are talking to them it is a "brief & passing conversation" (which can times be at the end of dinner when you have your coffee & I am waiting for desert?) but when it is me I am wasting their time. You sir seem to have injected your opinion on what is or is not acceptable to engage a crew member for their use of time. Do you not waste the exact amount of time (5 minutes vs. 5 minutes)? My conversation has been all along to keep others on vacation out of the mix, and only engage crew that are willing. Do you ask every crew member where they are from ? I'm sure not because you can tell which crew like to have a chat (i.e. a rapport with their guests) and those that are so busy they prefer to just keep going. I use the same level of discretion when I engage a crew member as you do for your conversations.... We may have different topics, but we both use their time.

Please enlighten us all on your discernment between your 5 minutes & my 5 minutes. BTW which do you think a crew member enjoys more - ANOTHER question about their home, ANOTHER question about their family (which you remind them about how much they miss them), and ANOTHER question about how much they enjoy being on a ship 6 months at a time.... Gee, they don't hear THAT every single week from one of you who just thinks they are being friendly with a crew member ?? GEEEEZZZZEEE !!

The only issue I have with the match the child to the parent game is that you are offering them money and that seems like you are paying them to entertain you. It would be more acceptable, IMHO, to play the game without money upfront or mentioning money and then at the end of a cruise give them an extra tip. I say this because it reminds me of the old days, where the rich asked those without to dance/entertain them to get some money to buy food.

Hello Everyone,

Family of 4 sailing with friends (family of 4) on Harmony in July. Last time we sailed with these friends we love to play harmless practical jokes on board.

I'd love some new material for this cruise coming up. Here is a few of my favorite (that I can share).

• Room Service with the worst menu items 30 minutes before actual room service should arrive.
  • Electrical surcharge invoice for over usage of A/C (invoice slipped under door toward end of cruise) or Water surcharge for using too much water
  • Vegan dinner menu for 1st night
  • Birthday Celebration - even if not a Birthday :)

These are all done in pure jest, only to be playful on vacation.... Please let me know if you have any fun material that you can share.

No haters please, this is in spirit of good fun & I'd like to keep this post in the same spirit!

Help me win this years joker battle!

Great ideas- Too bad a few of the respondents are such killjoys! I've been on (and off) these boards for a number of years and have always found there are many people with nothing better to do than constantly peruse the various posts looking for something of which to be critical.

I would guess they're the same people who always complain about their last cruise because someone made the mistake of not wearing a Tux on formal night or how bad the deserts were after they consumed 4 or 5 portions- lol.

The pearl clutchers sure are ninny-nannying this thread, aren't they?

Cruizer Rick, have fun with your friends. Chat with the staff a bit, but try not to impede them in their duties. Use your good judgement, which I have seen no sign on your posts of you lacking.

Pearl clutchers: Order your food, request your ice, and then ignore the staff so that they can move on to the next passenger. Use your good judgement.

Sheesh, this thread is uglier than threads on auto-tipping and giving your steward a fun size® candy with their tip.

"Pearl clutchers".... I love it!

The pearl clutchers sure are ninny-nannying this thread, aren't they?

Why the need to demean those who hold an opposing view? Is civil discussion so difficult? Name calling suggests an utter lack of viable counter arguments.

Great ideas- Too bad a few of the respondents are such killjoys! I've been on (and off) these boards for a number of years and have always found there are many people with nothing better to do than constantly peruse the various posts looking for something of which to be critical.

I would guess they're the same people who always complain about their last cruise because someone made the mistake of not wearing a Tux on formal night or how bad the deserts were after they consumed 4 or 5 portions- lol.

Thanks SoonerDog, Not sure if you read the entire thread (full disclosure some things are not "Light-Hearted"), but there is even someone who has asked to shut the tread down. Really sad as some are pretty funny others not so much.

Why the need to demean those who hold an opposing view? Is civil discussion so difficult? Name calling suggests an utter lack of viable counter arguments.

Of course the tone was set in the original post where people who might have questioned the notion of practical jokes which would involve staff or other passengers were pre-identified as "haters". And, in fact, all those who did raise questions were, in fact, questioning the appropriateness of involving other passengers and staff.