Stateroom audio announcements

Is there a way to hear the captains announcements etc in your stateroom? I often find what looks like a volume dial but can’t hear anything. When going through the Sounds in New Zealand we had to prop open the stateroom door and open the balcony (yes, I know...!), then stand between the two to see the sights and hear the commentary.

Please say it was just me being Thicky MacThick!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You keep the TV on and tuned to one of the channels that broadcasts announcements. I can't remember the number, but you can ask the cabin steward.

Ah yes, we did try that to no avail. Should indeed have asked which channel. Ta!

It´s usually the one with the ships cam on it or the one showing the maps / itineraries.

Most certainly on this channel the commentaries of scenic cruising like Fjords, Suezcanal, Panamacanal, etc. are broadcasted.

The daily Captains announcements are hit or miss on if they are broadcasted on this channel IME.

We were able to hear the noon announcements in our stateroom on Adventure this past March. The Voyager class ships still seem to have functional stateroom volume controls.

It's a matter of switches on the bridge. Who ever is making the announcements selects things like "all public areas", "all pax areas", "shipwide", or "crew areas". Whether they want to broadcast in the pax cabins is their choice and decision, though sometimes they forget and use the last used setting. Typically there is also an "emergency" setting that bypasses the in cabin volume control.

If anyone from RCCL is listening, I would like a fleet wide method to hear captain's announcements in the staterooms. Sometimes there is a TV channel but by the time I recognize an announcement echoing in the hall, find the remote and find the channel the announcement is done. Sometimes there is a dial control in the room but there is no indication what it does or which is max volume. Earlier this year on Anthem these announcements were not on any TV channel and there was no control. Opening the stateroom door requires the occupants to be decent. The staterooms are already wired for sound. Just give us a way to hear what we want.

The only announcement that came through our stateroom was the ART AUCTIONEER! :mad:

I was napping due to a migraine.....boy did he get a piece of my mind later that day...his excuse was he must of hit the wrong button! He was a total jerk about it and I told him off and walked away to another couple who were close by and applauded my voice saying about sometime someone told him off!!! It was the highlight of my cruise! :D:'):halo:

Speaking of announcements, I did make a formal complaint to the MDR manager on night two of our 15 night cruise. I personally do not believe that anyone eating dinner in the MDR and/or a Specialty Restaurant should be sujected to an announcement in the efforts of promotion of any ship product or service. To be in the middle of a conversation at a dinner table and to have an interuption via the speaker has one beleiving that something important is taking place. Immediately the entire MDR becomes quite thinking the worst. This type of behavoir by the ship is very tacky and not necessary. I encourage everyone to begin to lodge complaints on the spot. Through our wait staff, I demanded that the MDR Manager come visit me at the our table. And when he did, I got up walked him away from the table so as not to embarass him or our tablemates. But I calmly, politely expressed my displeasure and wishes for this to cease immediately unless there was an emergency. I'm not sure if my request was effective or not, but from that night going forward there was never another promotion via the speaker systems at the MDR and/or Specialty Restaurants during our dinners.

Ugh. This irks me. You should be able to control whether or not you can hear non emergency announcements in your cabin. On oasis, our 1 year old child was often woken up from her nap by stupid announcements we had no reason to hear.

If anyone from RCCL is listening, I would like a fleet wide method to hear captain's announcements in the staterooms. Sometimes there is a TV channel but by the time I recognize an announcement echoing in the hall, find the remote and find the channel the announcement is done. Sometimes there is a dial control in the room but there is no indication what it does or which is max volume. Earlier this year on Anthem these announcements were not on any TV channel and there was no control. Opening the stateroom door requires the occupants to be decent. The staterooms are already wired for sound. Just give us a way to hear what we want.

Many people don’t want these announcements piped into their cabins. Doesn’t bother me personally but I know some complain.