Will I be disappointed?

ccd228

I have sailed on Glory then Dream. I have a cruise to Cuba booked on Paradise in February.

Going from larger ships with more food options and activities etc. Will I be disappointed on this smaller ship?

I suppose your level of satisfaction or disappointment will depend on why you chose that ship and itinerary. If it was for the chance to visit Cuba, I'm guessing whatever venues the ship lacks versus your experience on larger ships will be of a small concern. If however you book for the ship experience, then yes, there are differences and you may be a bit let down. Just MHO and YMMV. :)

I love the fantasy class ships. I think they are awesome, and I don't get the hate for them. I've sailed the larger ships and like them as well, but I always enjoy my time on fantasy class ships

I have sailed on Glory then Dream. I have a cruise to Cuba booked on Paradise in February.

Going from larger ships with more food options and activities etc. Will I be disappointed on this smaller ship?

Since being disappointed is a choice, only you can answer the question.

My in-laws are on the Paradise right now. They added a lot of the 2.0 upgrades (Guy's, Blue Iguana, Red Frog Rum Bar, etc.) and it's better than before in their opinion. I cruised Paradise pre-upgrades and I would go cruise Paradise again after the upgrades.

Just got back from the Cuba paradise cruise. This was a month after going on the Glory. I would say the ships after the paradise upgrades are equals. They did a great job on the updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is great information. My next cruise will be on the Elation and I was thinking the same as OP, regarding being possibly disappointed in the activities available on the smaller ship. My first cruise was on a Fantasy class but haven’t been on one since that first cruise. After reading a lot of the reviews on the Elation (and other Fantasy class ships post 2.0 upgrades), I’m looking forward to the smaller ship again (translation = fewer passengers, less lines/waiting).

Since being disappointed is a choice, only you can answer the question.

Seriously?? :rolleyes: Gimme a break. OP's question is very legit. Disappointment is sometimes, unfortunately, a part of LIFE, not a decision we decide to make.

In any case, the ships are different, but I don't think you will be let down. The Dream and Magic are so much fun, but I love the smaller ships, too.

I've never been to Cuba, but think it would be so cool!! I imagine that's why you chose the ship, for the itinerary? I think you'll have an amazing time! Who knows how long we'll be able to travel to Cuba, so enjoy it while you can!! :)

A guy died on Paradise earlier this week. Pray you don't get his cabin.

Seriously?? :rolleyes: Gimme a break. OP's question is very legit. Disappointment is sometimes, unfortunately, a part of LIFE, not a decision we decide to make.

In any case, the ships are different, but I don't think you will be let down. The Dream and Magic are so much fun, but I love the smaller ships, too.

I've never been to Cuba, but think it would be so cool!! I imagine that's why you chose the ship, for the itinerary? I think you'll have an amazing time! Who knows how long we'll be able to travel to Cuba, so enjoy it while you can!! :)

Disappointment is a reaction to circumstances. While you may not have total control over the circumstances, you do have total control over how you react. In this case, the OP had total control over which cruise they booked. If they wanted to avoid disappointment, they should have researched this before they booked.

Probably. A little anyway. But, this too shall pass.

They are different but both great. We have always LOVED the fantasy class ships. Very personable. Have felt the already awesome service is actually better on the fantasy class. Maybe because there are less people and they have more interaction time.

The biggest class I have been on yet is the Conquest. I did my first Fantasy class a little earlier this month. Two truths about it: First, yes I was a little disappointed in some areas. I liked having more choices, refrigerator, and dive-in movies (that was my biggest miss). I do prefer the bigger ships. Second truth, the boat actually exceeded my expectations. I enjoyed the ship more than I thought I would. There really is no such thing as a bad Carnival Cruise IMO. With less people came less congestion. Easiest time with Punchliner yet. Could walk in when the show started and still got a decent seat. Unheard of on other classes. If I would have skipped out because of the boat, in this case, the Fascination, I would have missed out on a fantastic vacation. It offers an amazing itinerary.

I think Paradise has quite a few upgrades and Carnival has been really shaping up the smaller ships . We are partial to the 90k to 110k gross tonnage ships. Everybody has their thing. Going from a ship with 2.0 and many food options to a ship that doesn't did leave us a little wanting but we still had a great time!:cool:

We had always cruised on the Destiny/Triumph/Conquest/Dream class of ships. Our last cruise in October was on the Paradise to Cuba right before her re-fit. The only thing we found different was the layout of the ship. We had to learn where everything was. Buffet area is completely different. Instead of everything in one line, there are separate stations. (Salad bar, deserts, main food).

We have always had a balcony so moving to an oceanview cabin was different. There was no couch in the cabin, just a small chair. Needless to say, we spent very little time in the cabin.

While the Paradise is not the Dream, it is not a bad ship. Just a smaller one with fewer options. Some folks sail for the destination, some for the ship, some for both. We started out on small ships and then sailed larger ones. We enjoyed the Paradise and the Dream. Happy sailing. :D

I’m probably in the minority here, but the Dream wasn’t my favorite ship. Although it is a beautiful ship and I had an amazing cruise on her, the ship is just too big for my liking. To me, it felt like it took forever to get anywhere on the ship. I prefer Conquest class ships, but wasn’t able to find a cruise on a Conquest class that worked out for me, so Fantasy class it is for my next cruise. Haven’t been on a Fantasy class since my first cruise, but am looking forward to my next one on the Elation.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the input. I think the 2 things I'll miss is the Dive-In-Movies and the Thalassotherapy pool that I experienced on other boats. Appears other than being a smaller ship that not too much else would be different. I wish couches were in these rooms too though.

We've done two cruises on Victory. I had done one on Fascination (smaller ship and same size as Sensation) where I stayed sea sick the entire time - not a problem I had on either Victory sailing (bigger ship). (Yes I've done all the research and my personal experience is I've done better with bigger. Could have been I was better prepared but why chance it when being seasick is MISERABLE!) We wanted Cuba for our next sailing and at the time I booked, our choices were Paradise and Sensation. After reading so many reviews this week about the Sensaton, I just decided that considering how much money we spend on a cruise I just didn't want to chance being "disappointed" or worse yet, being SICK! So I ended up changing our booking when I saw Victory was going to Cuba. It's a shorter cruiser and even with the fee for changing I am still saving several hundred dollars so I decided to go down early and stay overnight and get FTTF. It helped that it was over the same time period although we are losing a port I wanted to go to. Still with that I felt "better" after switching bookings. I mean SOOOOOO much better. I'm glad I did it personally. And that's it - it's a personal choice. Good luck with whatever you choose!