Current “Free at Sea” Promtion

Graciebeth

We are beginning our research to take our first cruise in March 2019 and I found NCL current “Free at Sea” promotion. We haven’t completely decided upon our cruise but this promotion seems like a good deal (we would use the free drinks/alcohol option).

My question: is an offer like this (or a better offer!) likely to be given again in the next 3 months or so?

Thank you in advance!

Sometimes they add something to the Free at Sea like $100 OBC for balcony, $140 for Mini-suites, etc. These are in addition to picking a promo you see on Free at Sea.

A few weeks ago (mid-April) they offered a TaxFree Sale (no port charges/gov fees) for certain cruises. We booked two cruises as soon as we saw that one and you still got your choice of Free at Sea. It's a great offer but it is rare. More often the only additional offer we see will be the OBC for specific cruises/dates.

We booked during the Free At Sea + Tax Free sale so got to take advantage of all the promotions. The rate we got is slightly better than the current rate, but very slightly... in other words the "Tax Free" doesn't have as big an impact as it might seem. Just so you're aware.

The promotion would still be listed on NCL site. It is NCL way of marketing. Once in awhile, the promotion can be changed. However, the drinking package / the dining package / shore excursion credits / and wifi - these options do not change. Haven't seen them change or remove these selections. They would only add another type of promotion: Distinctive voyages, OBC, Tax Free, and then around the holiday specials.

The drink package is almost always offered.....but be aware that you have to pay taxes and (I think) gratuities when you book. Essentially you are paying the taxes on the purchase price if you bought the package. You are always charged taxes for drinks when on US soil, so I guess that's the reasoning behind this one. We usually sail in the Haven, and the drink package used to be totally free, but now they charge the tax. When I calculate it for a 7 day cruise, we wouldn't drink the amount paid in taxes, so we don't get that option. You have to check what works best for your situation. And be aware that the drink package doesn't cover ALL drinks. There is usually a cost ceiling (around $15?) So, if you like the better stuff, you will pay the difference.

I just booked and got the "Free" at Sea promos. Its a mixed bag IMHO. The best part is the 3rd and 4th person sails for free. That's an honest good savings. I am someone who does not drink 5 or more drinks every day cruising so the drink package is a loss or wash for me. The specialty dining is ok too. I had to pay nearly $300 of gratuities on this "free" packages while booking. I could take them off but if me and my spouse drink at least 12 drinks a piece the 7 days then its even for what I would pay for gratuities on the "free" package compared to buying each drink separately and paying gratuities on them. Its really a wash and I have a whole year to think about removing the package.

Nothing in this world is free

....... I could take them off but if me and my spouse drink at least 12 drinks a piece the 7 days then its even for what I would pay for gratuities on the "free" package compared to buying each drink separately and paying gratuities on them. Its really a wash and I have a whole year to think about removing the package.

Nothing in this world is free

Excellent points. You can change your promos up to a couple of days before your cruise as long as you change it to another promo that was available when you booked. We have cruised many times with the UBP and a couple without it.

With the UBP it's a lot of fun to try different drinks, without it we just order an occasional Mudslide or Mango Meltdown.

• 1 month later...

Occasionally, NCL will up that offer to "Take all five" (they did it on Black Friday last year, we booked a spontaneous cruise because of it,) otherwise it's pretty much a constant. Can depend on the cruise, though -- I was looking for an Alaskan cruise next year, and the Bliss did not have "Free at Sea", but the Jewel did, so we're going on the Jewel.

I've looked on the NCL site, but can't find the answer to this, does the "Free at sea unlimited drink" package cover drinks when the ship pulls into a port, such as Bermuda? Thanks.

It covers drinks in port, but in some US ports, you may be charged sales tax on your drinks. It is a paltry amount... under $10 on my last two cruises combined (Miami and NYC), but just be aware that it is a thing that happens.

Can anyone offer info on the “excursions credit”? Does it apply to any excursion booked thru NCL or just certain ones? Am just starting investing a cruise to Bermuda for 6/19 and this looks interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Can anyone offer info on the “excursions credit”? Does it apply to any excursion booked thru NCL or just certain ones? Am just starting investing a cruise to Bermuda for 6/19 and this looks interesting.

It is applicable to any excursion booked through NCL, I believe. I don't know if they make some sort of allowance for the fact that Bermuda is just one port. Seems like it would be a bit of a waste on a Bermuda cruise if you only got to use it for one excursion when some 7-day cruises have 4 or more ports you could used it at. Note that it is $50 per stateroom, NOT per person.