Guess who is buying the White Pass & Yukon Route in Skagway, Alaska

caribill

Maybe this was an unusual day but the last time we were in Skagway 5 ships were there. It was June 2016. Two Princess ships, 1 Royal Caribbean, 1 NCL, and HAL ship was tendering. Easy close to 10,000 people there that day. It is a smart move for Carnival. I am not sure how it will effect the experience for Skagway. We have been there 3 times. The first time we did the White Pass Train. While we enjoyed it and I would recommend it for anyone who has not done it, I would not do it again. To me it is a one time thing. There are many other things to do there. We did a bike trip from the top of the White Pass from just over the border into Canada. That was amazing! I would highly recommend it. The last trip we took a tour that combined a hike with a river float trip, one of the best excursions we have ever done. So while I enjoyed the Train not something I would do over.

The move makes sense; businesses seem to be trying to control more of their revenue stream, so buying a key revenue stream from a key port on a very popular itinerary makes sense. I'd bet that there were multiple bidders, and that the final bid had a fat premium on it.

From a business standpoint, I think this move only makes sense for Carnival if they can use the RR to drive passengers to their cruise lines. The best way I think to do this would be to limit a premium trip, such as to Emerald lake, to Carnival passengers. The intent here would be to make a guest pay a premium for a Carnival cruise in order to have access to the better RR tour - but I also don't see that really working...

The more aggressive option is that Carnival plans to limit all train rides to Carnival passengers. The train is central enough to Skagway that this could have a major impact on AK cruises, and I'd wager that other cruise lines would start replacing Skagway with less popular stops like Haines, Sitka, or Icy Straight Point (Hoonah). This move would be much higher risk as it would greatly decrease the revenue from their new investment, but also has way more upside if cruisers prefer Skagway (and thus Carnival) over the alternatives.

Interesting stuff...

Nothing drastic is going to change.

I agree with Coral. Why does everyone seem to think that they will limit the train to CCL passengers only or make other drastic changes? I'll bet that trains will continue to run as always, and most people will be completely unaware of the change in ownership.

Over-rated, way over-rated train ride, one heck of a tourist trap.

We did it once and it pales in comparison to many alpine railway rides to be had in other parts of the world for a fraction of

the cost.

Over-rated, way over-rated train ride, one heck of a tourist trap.

We did it once and it pales in comparison to many alpine railway rides to be had in other parts of the world for a fraction of

the cost.

We used a private tour company much further out into Canada and into the Yukon and so glad we did.

There actually is quite a bit to do in Skagway other than the train.

Yes, like a van tour up the highway that parallels the White Pass & Yukon rr track (on the opposite side of the valley). We did that 4 years ago when we sailed on the Star P. Can't remember if we bought the tour in town or beforehand via Cruise Critic roll call. Had been on the train at least twice.

Also, RCI, Celebrity, Disney, and Norwegian ships account for 300,000-500,000 pax visiting Skagway every season and presumably many of those want to ride the train, as well, since it's the main attraction for that port.

Also, RCI, Celebrity, Disney, and Norwegian ships account for 300,000-500,000 pax visiting Skagway every season and presumably many of those want to ride the train, as well, since it's the main attraction for that port.

I have no doubt Carnival Corp will enjoy taking money from the other lines for the train and port fees. I have no doubt these lines pay Carnival Corp already for using Carnival Corp (Gray line) buses in ports.

Wow! Interesting. Wonder if this means that Carnival Corp ships will have priority docking in Skagway. And I wonder how this affects Chilkoot tours?

I thought that as well. Carnival up graded St Thomas docks a few years ago and they got the got spots.

Then again, Carnival Corp developed Amber Cove and created jobs for those folks. Overall as a corporation they do good. But buying a railroad was not one that I could see happening. Time will tell

I don't see a problem with Carnival Corp buying the railroad. As a shareholder it seems like a good investment (much better at this point than the zillions being poured into the Medallion) and I also don't have an issue with the train excursion itself. When we visited with our son it was one of the few handicapped accessible excursions available and we enjoyed it greatly.

The move makes sense; businesses seem to be trying to control more of their revenue stream, so buying a key revenue stream from a key port on a very popular itinerary makes sense. I'd bet that there were multiple bidders, and that the final bid had a fat premium on it.

Princess closed down Princess Fine Arts and contracted the art auctions out to Park West because Princess found controlling that revenue stream was not worth it.

Princess shut down their fine jewelry department and contracted out the fine jewelry shops on their ships to Effy. I assume Princess decided they did not want to control that revenue stream.

So why Princess/Carnival Corp decides they want to have control over a railroad is something I do not understand

An interesting side note is that the same people who operate the WP&YRR operate the Sugar Train in St. Kitts...EM

Does that mean free drinks on White Pass?[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So why Princess/Carnival Corp decides they want to have control over a railroad is something I do not understand

Carnival Corp. purchased the railroad, not PCL or HAL. PCL may have little, or no, say over the purchase. Since the HAP organization are the major Carnival Corp. entities in Alaska, it would make sense, I would think, that they would be given the task of managing the railroad portion of the operation of the corporation. Whether that is what happened or not, who knows and, for that matter, who really cares?

Tom

TWC Enterprises, a Canadian company, owns the facilities at Skagway (port and railroad) and is selling it to Carnival Corp. TWC operates the railroad and port through another company, Survey Point Holdings. Survey Point will continue to operate the railroad and port for Carnival Corp working with their subsidiary Holland America Alaska Tours. TWC owns Clublink, a subsidiary that owns golf courses and resort property in Canada and Florida. Carnival Corp announced that they were going to spend money to improve the railroad and port facilities bringing the port facilities up to date to accommodate the newer and larger ships. Since the port and railroad was in need of significant improvements, TWC decided to sell that part of the company and concentrate on their core Clublink. Since the operator of the port and railroad is not changing, I don't expect many changes from the our end but do expect prices to rise after Carnival spends a substantial amount of money improving both. So yes once again other cruise lines like NCL and RCCL will be paying Carnival Corp to use their ports.

Survey Port Holdings is an Alaskan company based out of Ketchikan.

FWIW...I think they made the purchase because a few years from now today’s ships will all be replaced by 3600+ cruise ships. Imagine 4 x 3600 passengers in Skagway, 3 of which are owned by CC. This guarantees on busy port days that CC ships will have priority access to limited WPYRR seats.

. . .

Because otherwise it must be in danger of closing down and then what would there be to do for the thousands of pax arriving every day? Will those of you who say there's lot of other things to do in Skagway please elaborate (shopping doesn't count)? Thanks!

Because otherwise it must be in danger of closing down and then what would there be to do for the thousands of pax arriving every day? Will those of you who say there's lot of other things to do in Skagway please elaborate (shopping doesn't count)? Thanks!

Drive to the Yukon (private car or bus)

Dog Sledding (on glacier or on dirt)

Helicopter trips to glaciers

ATV tours

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

National Park Ranger led walks

Ziplining

Float ride in Dyea

Hiking

Trip to Haines (variety of things here)

Kayaking

Horseback riding

Flightseeing to Glacier Bay

Drive to the Yukon (private car or bus)

Dog Sledding (on glacier or on dirt)

Helicopter rides to glaciers

ATV tours

Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

National Park Ranger led walks

Ziplining

Float ride in Dyea

Hiking

Trip to Haines (variety of things here)

Kayaking

Horseback riding

With the airport there you can find flights over Glacier Bay and you also go to the trail of 98 show at believe the elks lodge. Show has been going since early 80s as far s I know.

With the airport there you can find flights over Glacier Bay and you also go to the trail of 98 show at believe the elks lodge. Show has been going since early 80s as far s I know.

I actually added the flight over GB before I saw your response. Most don't know about this.

I didn't include the shows or gold panning.

Lots of things to do! I have only been on train 2x but been to Skagway a ton.

I actually added the flight over GB before I saw your response. Most don't know about this.

I didn't include the shows or gold panning.

Lots of things to do! I have only been on train 2x but been to Skagway a ton.

Done the train about 3 times and am doing it again with family in one week. I have also done the show at least three times since 1984.

Actually did a fly over Glacier Bay and the ice fields but from Juneau. After flying past the face of almost every glacier, we finally saw one calving as we passed our last one on the way out. At the right time, you can also see bears along the creeks fishing.

As for danger of closing, the company has had much harder times. As for Carnival purchasing it, I think it is a Win Win.