HAL email notifying us of regimented checkin times.

dcsam

We just received the following from Holland America. We are booked for the Amsterdam, Alaska cruise coming up in just a couple weeks (June 24). Anybody else receive a notice such as this? This would have us boarding at a later time than we have planned on.

Thank you!

We would like to provide you with important information regarding your sailing.

To enhance the check-in and boarding experience, we ask that guests arrive at the terminal based on the following times. Guests who have booked a transfer or hotel package with Holland America will be provided a check-in time at the

airport or hotel.

1:00 PM - Deck 6 & Deck 7 (Verandah & Navigation)

1:30 PM - Deck 3 (Lower Promenade)

2:00 PM - Deck 2 (Main)

2:30 PM - Deck 1 (Dolphin)

We invite our 4 and 5 Star Mariners, Pinnacle and Neptune Suite guests to

arrive anytime between 12:30 P.M. and 3:00 P.M. Boarding will commence shortly after check in. All guests must be onboard 1 hour prior to sailing. We

appreciate your understanding and cooperation, and look forward to welcoming you onboard.

We received a similar email for our Rotterdam cruise in January in Tampa. It did not seem to be enforced since their were hundreds waiting at least 30 minutes before boarding opened. I did not see anyone turned away and told to come back at their scheduled time.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is becoming a routine notification to those at many embarkation ports now. People who booked through HAL itself seem to receive this same type of notification, most recently in Vancouver in April. We didn't book through HAL and we didn't get the notification.

From our recent experiences in seeing these, they are not strictly enforced but instead, guidelines. I wouldn't sweat it too much or change plans if you have arranged travel already.

We got the notice prior to our recent Koningsdam cruise. I couldn't see any difference at the port. We got there and were immediately directed to check in once we filled out the health form. I frankly didn't even think about the time protocol once our driver dropped us off.

We have received this notice on recent cruises, but it is not enforced, so you should have no issue checking in whenever you planned. I think HAL is just doing this to hopefully stagger checkin to cut down on the wait time to board. But once you checkin, they’ll just put you into the next available boarding group behind priority boarding (Suites and 4/5 Star Mariners).

Thank you for the information. Sounds like we’ll keep our plans as scheduled and arrive earlier than the time given.

Also, we didn’t book directly with HAL. Our TA received it and she forwarded it on to us.

We got the same notification prior to our May 6th Alaska cruise. I sent HAL an email asking about this delay in boarding and indicating the time advertised were close to the end times that the ship advertises you need to be onboard. Their response was that since we were prior cruisers on HAL we could come at 11:30 but no earlier.

We got there at noon and there was almost no line. Embarkation was fairly smooth and quick. But it was fairly obvious that many had boarded way earlier than 11:30 since the ship was relatively full of new passengers walking around in the different venues.

We were also one of the earliest to disembark after the cruise since we selected self disembarkation and low and behold we actually saw many new passengers getting dropped off and heading into the entrance at 9am. I'm sure that they were not getting onboard at that time, but clearly folks are heading to the ship in Seattle quite early.

Seattle is a pretty nice port. Embarkation and disembarkation were fairly smooth and nothing compared to craziness of FLL or Miami.

My advice? Go when you wanted to and the worst that can happen is you'll wait a bit longer.

Dan

I suspect these as you say "regimented" embarkation times are now linked to the fact your cabin will also be ready as soon as you board. Before, one had to hang around the ship with their carry-on items, waiting for the cabins to be finally ready. This is probably a work in progress as they learn how long it takes for the staff to make the cabins immediately ready much earlier than in the past. A phasing of both activities, with obviously the higher priced cabins getting the first embarkation privileges.

We were concerned about this email notice also.....and chose to arrive when we have always gone.....

Waiting that late seemed to add too many obstacles.....ie: having to check out of the hotel earlier and wondering what to do until the suggested arrival time....and....increased anxiety wondering if you'd even make muster drill.........!!

So....we arrived at 11:00.....and we were in our cabin at noon..........:)

Royal Caribbean has done this for a few years now. No one is going to turn you away if you arrive at a time other than that posted for your deck. It's just a way to try to spread the embarkation times around a little so no one has to wait too long to board.

I suspect these as you say "regimented" embarkation times are now linked to the fact your cabin will also be ready as soon as you board. Before, one had to hang around the ship with their carry-on items, waiting for the cabins to be finally ready. This is probably a work in progress as they learn how long it takes for the staff to make the cabins immediately ready much earlier than in the past. A phasing of both activities, with obviously the higher priced cabins getting the first embarkation privileges.

A bit hard for HAL to stagger the boarding times based on the cabin class, as 4 and 5 Stars can board at anytime (email says). It would be great for the crew I am sure, as they could concentrate on certain decks and then move on to get the rest of the cabins ready, but I do not think it is practical.

A bit hard for HAL to stagger the boarding times based on the cabin class, as 4 and 5 Stars can board at anytime (email says). It would be great for the crew I am sure, as they could concentrate on certain decks and then move on to get the rest of the cabins ready, but I do not think it is practical.

When there are a thousand or so cabins in play, allowing a few hundred 4 and 5 star earlier embarkations may not throw them off their stride, plus they would know up front where those cabins are located in order to get them ready first.

When there are a thousand or so cabins in play, allowing a few hundred 4 and 5 star earlier embarkations may not throw them off their stride, plus they would know up front where those cabins are located in order to get them ready first.

Perhaps, but it would be alot easier on them if them could concentrate on one entire deck at a time and not have to worry about getting to a few 4/5 Star cabins scattered here and there. Matter of efficiency of course.

Regimented makes it sounds like they have your walking in formation. :D

I think HAL is attempting to schedule boarding times.

Roz

Read the email again. Somewhere you will see "suggested" arrival times. We are 4 star and NS and have always arrived between 10:00 and 10:30 in all ports and have been onboard around 11:30. Only one that was later was a "Code Red" situation when we boarded at 12:30.

HAL has been sending this email out for at least a few years due to two ships at Pier 91 in Seattle. We've only seen it very bad on days that a luncheon in scheduled for TA's or a charity.

We've always arrived at the same time and never had a problem. If the weather is nice they sometimes setup tables outside on the balcony for 4/5 star and suites.

Carnival has built this into their check-in process: You select an embarkation arrival time from those available, subject to availability. It seems to work very well (though I'm not sure how well it worked before it was strictly enforced).

In the past, I've always enjoyed boarding around 11:00 and going to my cabin to drop off my carry on luggage. It's been a "plus" for HAL cruises compared to Celebrity, where we never get into our cabins before 1:00 or so. If HAL is now going to make me board later to ensure that I can go directly to my cabin, I'd prefer to see them go the Celebrity route and let us board when we want, knowing that we might have to take care of our carry on bags for a couple of hours.

Carnival has built this into their check-in process: You select an embarkation arrival time from those available, subject to availability. It seems to work very well (though I'm not sure how well it worked before it was strictly enforced).

Carnival also has their First to the Fun program that charges a fee to be able to board early. I sure hope HAL isn't thinking about charging for early boarding ala Carnival