What if....

pathi

The new coffee program has me thinking. What if Princess offered an all inclusive rate?

For example, a 25 percent surcharge on your fare would include any food or drink on the ship.

50 percent would add sanctuary, a couple of spa treatments per cruise, and 1 excursion per port. Plus the food and drink.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There are many who do not use these items so why should they pay for them so others can enjoy them. Maybe a one time additional fee to cover them for hose who want to pay for them.

Not sure how fair it would be ... obviously 25% or 50% upcharge would be way way different for insides vs suites .. but the benefit would be identical for all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Forums mobile app

Maybe discount, or include the pkgs with higher category cabins.

There are many who do not use these items so why should they pay for them so others can enjoy them. Maybe a one time additional fee to cover them for hose who want to pay for them.

Like all pkgs it would be optional. Buy it or not.

A percentage surcharge is a terrible idea. When I was working (I worked for the state of California) and we would get a raise in our particular department it would be a percentage. When every body in the office got a 5% raise I got a much bigger raise than the clerical folks did even though, in my opinion, the clerical folks did more work than I did and, again in my opinion, were the most important people in the entire department. Percentages are inherently unfair.

Seriously? I can already get any food or drink that I want on the ship without a surcharge. Why should I fund someone else’s drinking? Not to mention that paying as a single, I’d be doubling my “contribution.” Sorry but this is a terrible and totally unnecessary idea.

There are many who do not use these items so why should they pay for them so others can enjoy them.

There are many cruisers who do not want to participate in some of the already included items...swimming pool, gym, day and evening entertainment etc.. They are already paying for others to enjoy them.

Maybe everything should be 'pay as you use' !! ( I jest!!)

It might work for those that overindulge in everything on the ship but for us normal cruisers it would be terrible & an increase that would drive us away from the cruise line.

We very rarely go to Specialty restaurants, never go to the spa, haven't taken a Princess tour in many years and if they added a 25 or 50% fare increase we would only be subsidizing everyone else.

One reason I don’t generally look to lines like Regent.

I don’t drink

Rarely do ships shore tours (been over ten years I think since I did one)

Aren’t allowed to fly

Seldom do specialty restaurants (maybe once in two weeks, sometimes less)

My Princess circumnavigation if Australia was about 30k less than the Regent offering. Now had I included all those things Regent would be less than Princess, so I’m happy with pay for what I use.

Princess markets to an upscale crowd but not the top tier who want everything included in the cost. Carnival Corp has targeted each of their 10 cruise lines to a specific market since it would not make sense for the different lines to be in direct competition with each other. In the market Princess operates, pax want a cost effective cruise with the option of adding things they want like the drink packages etc.

If you want an all expense paid cruise, Carnival Corp offers Seabourn.

There are many who do not use these items so why should they pay for them so others can enjoy them.

There are many cruisers who do not want to participate in some of the already included items...swimming pool, gym, day and evening entertainment etc.. They are already paying for others to enjoy them.

Maybe everything should be 'pay as you use' !! ( I jest!!)

Including elevators.

Princess markets to an upscale crowd but not the top tier who want everything included in the cost. Carnival Corp has targeted each of their 10 cruise lines to a specific market since it would not make sense for the different lines to be in direct competition with each other. In the market Princess operates, pax want a cost effective cruise with the option of adding things they want like the drink packages etc.

If you want an all expense paid cruise, Carnival Corp offers Seabourn.

Princess - upscale crowd????

I wish I could agree with you, but have you been in the main dining room or for that matter the buffet recently?

I agree its not as downmarket as Carnival but its getting to be not far off it.

Never tried Seaborn so cannot comment on it.

Agree with you otherwise.

The new coffee program has me thinking. What if Princess offered an all inclusive rate?

For example, a 25 percent surcharge on your fare would include any food or drink on the ship.

50 percent would add sanctuary, a couple of spa treatments per cruise, and 1 excursion per port. Plus the food and drink.

A ridiculously bad idea.

If you have a high $ fare but all inclusive cruise there will be many who don't partake of all of the included items or services and complain about subsidizing those who do.

That is a valid complaint as some would be paying for stuff they didn't want.

If you have a low $ fare cruise that charges extra for many items and services there will be some who complain of being nickeled & dimed to death.

That would be a valid complaint only if the sum of the low fare and the cost of items you chose to purchase exceeds the cost of the all inclusive cruise.

Everyone must decide which type of cruise they like best and pick the cruise line that offers your preference.

If you have a high $ fare but all inclusive cruise there will be many who don't partake of all of the included items or services and complain about subsidizing those who do.

That is a valid complaint as some would be paying for stuff they didn't want.

If you have a low $ fare cruise that charges extra for many items and services there will be some who complain of being nickeled & dimed to death.

That would be a valid complaint only if the sum of the low fare and the cost of items you chose to purchase exceeds the cost of the all inclusive cruise.

Everyone must decide which type of cruise they like best and pick the cruise line that offers your preference.

Fully agree.

Besides if 3000 passengers are being charged extra to use the Sanctuary many of them would expect to be able to use it on a daily basis not just those who check in early enough to get the limited seats. Can just see that discussion happening when someone who just paid an extra 25% gets told there is no more seats available. Or they want a certain night in a Specialty Venue and get told nothing is available for the rest of the cruise. Disaster just waiting to happen.

I believe the original suggestion was not to raise everyone's fare and make Princess an all-inclusive line, but rather to bundle the add-ons. For example, now you can choose to buy drinks individually or go for the AIBP, why not offer an AIFP (All-Inclusive Food Package), or an AIAP (All-Inclusive Amenities Package)?

This is not the Princess marketing model. Personally I don't like the class system that would probably develop from a system like you suggest.

If you want the packages you suggest just purchase them. Just about the same thing.

If you want this kind of cruise experience you need to book on some of the mostly all inclusive lines whose fares are in the 50% to 100% higher than Princess.

do the math for a 7 day cruise...per person (rounded / estimated)

PBP - 480.00

Grats - 100.00

1 Excursion per port -3 ports minimum - 300.00

Specialty Rest - 30.00 x 7 = 210.00

value of about $ 1100 if you use all of the above

see where I'm going here ?:confused:

I believe the original suggestion was not to raise everyone's fare and make Princess an all-inclusive line, but rather to bundle the add-ons. For example, now you can choose to buy drinks individually or go for the AIBP, why not offer an AIFP (All-Inclusive Food Package), or an AIAP (All-Inclusive Amenities Package)?

If that is what the OP intended, then fine. Purchase what package you want....as long as I don't have to subsidize the masses.

I am flabbergasted that it took this many posts before someone understood me.

Especially with so many long term posters replying here.

It wouldn't work for me and I would refuse to pay for something I will not use like the massage, horrible tasting coffee, the crab shack, etc. Let people pay for the stuff they use and not stick people with paying for something they don't like or use. Doesn't bother me with the way things are. I don't buy the coffee card and never will, just like I don't pay $8.50 for a cup of bad tasting coffee from Starbucks.

Fully agree.

Besides if 3000 passengers are being charged extra to use the Sanctuary many of them would expect to be able to use it on a daily basis not just those who check in early enough to get the limited seats. Can just see that discussion happening when someone who just paid an extra 25% gets told there is no more seats available. Or they want a certain night in a Specialty Venue and get told nothing is available for the rest of the cruise. Disaster just waiting to happen.

I'd pay to see a good riot going on and have the Captain bring his butt down to the Piazza to calm the troopers down. It would be more than a disaster, I can see the ship heading to dry dock for inside refurbishment after one cruise of subsidized coffee, massages, specialty dining, blah, blah. I would never sign on to a cruise like that. We get free laundry but never use it, what if everyone got free laundry, you may never see your undies again!

Fully agree.

I think it unlikely that 100% of the passengers would choose one of these packages though. Maybe 10 to 15%? It would most likely cause issues with space being available to folks who dont get the all inclusive package, but want to dine in a specialty restaurant, sanctuary spots etc etc.