Holiday is falling apart

Ok update this morning, spoke with head of department. He has to stay in another day, due a scan later today to see if everything is ok but he feels if everything is grand tomorrow he will be fit to fly Thursday. Will be ringing insurance morning to see what they say so hopefully we will see you there if a little deflated and very tired but at least happy to be there.

Ok update this morning, spoke with head of department. He has to stay in another day, due a scan later today to see if everything is ok but he feels if everything is grand tomorrow he will be fit to fly Thursday. Will be ringing insurance morning to see what they say so hopefully we will see you there if a little deflated and very tired but at least happy to be there.

If he’s healthy, then that sounds lovely. And there’s nothing like a cruise to rest and relax.

Nothing like what your son has been through, but my son and I had 3 weeks in Florida before embarking on a cruise, and we were ridiculously sick for almost all of it. Just making sure the two of us got fed every so often was almost impossible for me. I couldn’t even think “get face masks, reschedule the flights home, and just GO.” Thankfully we were on the mend by embarkation, able to answer the health questions honestly in a way that got us onboard. And we could sleep and sit in the sun for vitamin D and just do NOTHING.

I hope you’re able to do that.

Would suggest that you get a letter from the hospital stating he is fit to fly/cruise. I work in aviation and if a passenger is offloaded close to departure due medical they often ask to see the ‘fit to fly’ letter. Also some airlines will waive the fees if passengers are taken ill last minute at the airport .

Hope all goes well and good to hear your son is making a good recovery. Hope you get to enjoy a smashing holiday

Would suggest that you get a letter from the hospital stating he is fit to fly/cruise. I work in aviation and if a passenger is offloaded close to departure due medical they often ask to see the ‘fit to fly’ letter. Also some airlines will waive the fees if passengers are taken ill last minute at the airport .

Hope all goes well and good to hear your son is making a good recovery. Hope you get to enjoy a smashing holiday

The insurance has already stated they won’t cover us unless we get that.

Just had a thought, and I know it’s a longshot.

If he is still not able to fly, why not call the Nice Compassionatepeople in Royal and see if they would allow you to switch to a sailing fromSouthampton. You could take ferry to Wales and drive to Southampton. No luggagerestrictions.

Just had a thought, and I know it’s a longshot.

If he is still not able to fly, why not call the Nice Compassionatepeople in Royal and see if they would allow you to switch to a sailing fromSouthampton. You could take ferry to Wales and drive to Southampton. No luggagerestrictions.

As this goes on the less I think we will be there, according to the travel insurance they have contacted the hospital but according to them they have no request for details.

And on top of this now that they have the blood pressure up his heart rate has jumped up to the 120s.

I think I will resign to the fact we will be heading home. :(

Edited by Luminated67

I hope your son is ok and I know just how your feeling even though ours wasn’t quiet as traumatic as yours .My husband collapsed on a coach going to joinIndy in May and was taken to hospital thankfully after lots of tests he was fine. unfortunately I’ve had nothing but trouble with Insurance company and were frankly dreadful in my hours of need. I was totally abandoned I couldn’t get through to anyone. Thank goodness for the nurses and doctor at hospital..

I couldn’t do anything as far as RCI we’re concerned until the ship came back into port after the cruise as it was a no show it’s going to take a while until it all gets sorted and I’ve been so frustrated.

The main thing is your son is being looked after, there will be more cruises and take comfort that this didn’t happen at sea . Thinking about you all and I hope in a couple of days things are much better...... take care and look after yourself I know how stressful it is ...

:( ..........Since 6am Sunday morning I’ve had a total of 4 hours unsettled sleep, 2 paper cups of tea and a kitkat.

TOTALLY BUSHED

Glad to hear your son is doing better, but you also need to take care of yourself so you can be there for him. Best of luck to you all.

Here’s a thought, I wonder would the likes of drinks packages or shore excursions be covered by your travel insurance?

Anything you purchase pre-cruise will be refunded if you cancel the cruise.

We were hoping to get out this morning but last night his temperature spiked and heart rate racing to 130bpm with peaks up to 155 so they give him more fluids and more antibiotics. This morning they told us he will be in until at least Thursday so I’ve lost any hope of getting on the cruise unless there’s a dramatic change in our luck which would be amazing in its own right.

One good bit of news is the hospital have provide a room for the wife and myself to get a bit of proper sleep on a bed and a shower.

Another really good bit of news is his urine is back to its normal colour so no more blood clouts in his bladder.

Hopefully he getting there now and we will indeed be out tomorrow. Whether if that happened the travel insurance could get us flights at such short notice is questionable at best.

If he can get the Fit to Fly letter by today, you could still make it!

Hoping someone, either a Doc or some other concerned person who reads Cruise Critic will step up to make it possible.

Are they monitoring his Potassium....sometimes that can be the answer in these heart circumstances. They gave me Potassium before the hospital would release me and when my levels went up, voila, the release was granted....

We will be getting out tomorrow but the doctors won’t let him fly.

Because of the amount of blood he has lost and the amount of fluids they needed to gave him his hemoglobin has dropped to almost half of normal, that’s why he’s heart is pumping so fast. This will take a few week to recover so his immune system is low too, so a plane or boat is not the best to recover.

So to all sailing from NY on the Adventures of the Sea on the 15th have a great trip, hopefully meet you all on another one in the not too distant future.

Given your son's medical woes,even if you all make it to the departure port, the cruise line has the right to have a medical evaluation done by the ship's physician to determine if your son is fit to cruise.

While there is a physician on board ship and a medical care facility, the type of medical assistance your son may need probably could not be provided.

I’m so pleased he’s getting better, there will be other cruises ,but I know exactly how your feeling at the moment,good luck with the insurance company we’re nearly a month after my husbands missed cruise and still no further forward.sending my best wishes to you all and as soon as things calm down book another cruise ....

Just make sure you cancel your cruise before the cruise leaves the dock. Do not "no show" the cruise as that causes all kinds of issues with insurance as the previous poster is experiencing. We have cancelled a cruise in the past and insurance covered everything, lots of paperwork, but worked out in the end.

We will be getting out tomorrow but the doctors won’t let him fly.

Because of the amount of blood he has lost and the amount of fluids they needed to gave him his hemoglobin has dropped to almost half of normal, that’s why he’s heart is pumping so fast. This will take a few week to recover so his immune system is low too, so a plane or boat is not the best to recover.

So to all sailing from NY on the Adventures of the Sea on the 15th have a great trip, hopefully meet you all on another one in the not too distant future.

Very sorry to read this.

My best wishes for your son's speedy recovery.