MSC Seaside vs Celebrity? What are the biggest differences?

cheeseheads4ever

My DW and I are regular Celebrity cruisers. We are thinking of giving MSC Seaside a try. But most reviews have been bad so am a little nervious about booking.Can someone who have recently sailed both tell me the major differences between the two cruise lines? Drink packages what are the cost? Limit of alcohol drinks per day? Quality of food on MSC? Any additional nickel and dime items?

We are in our 60’s and full of life just really need to know what to expect with MSC. I apologize if this has been covered but need fresh opinions on the two cruise lines.

On a positive side sounds like ship in clean and beautiful.

Any help would be appreciated.

I cruise on Celebrity quite a bit. I did my status match to Black on MSC with them.

I think a lot of the experience on MSC will depend on what category cabin you select. We've done only one on MSC and have another booked (in the Yacht Club), so I cannot speak to the other categories.

Now on Celebrity I have never done a suite. We usually book balconies, Concierge or the one that gives you Blu (senior moment here, can't think of the class).

I think you will find though that the reviews for MSC have improved greatly. We like them.

Any specific questions, ask here (rather than generalities). I think you'll find the people here very helpful.

One question about "black status"...

I was reading some reviews for the Seaside and one reviewer posted the following in a review:

I am a member of MSC’s “yacht club” due to their “status matching” with my Celebrity status... So I was also able to go to the yacht club pool area as well

Is that really a benefit given to black status staying in a regular balcony room with the "bella" package??

Have done Aqua on Silhouette, Equinox, Summit and Reflection. Recently did YC on Seaside. While YC is pricier than Aqua....it blows Aqua "out of the water"....and the price is not that much greater. I had the same question being elite on X but totally impressed with Seaside YC. Can't vouch for the experience on the rest of the ship....but if you go YC....you won't be disappointed.

I was reading some reviews for the Seaside and one reviewer posted the following in a review:

I am a member of MSC’s “yacht club” due to their “status matching” with my Celebrity status... So I was also able to go to the yacht club pool area as well

Is that really a benefit given to black status staying in a regular balcony room with the "bella" package??

I have no idea where that person got that idea, but it is totally wrong. The "Yacht Club" is a specific group of cabins in a specific section of the ship that can be reserved/paid for by anyone, status level is not a consideration for access. They are the top tier of cabins on MSC ships. They have nothing to do with having "Black Status", which is similar to Celebrity's "Elite" and above status. A person can apply for status match before booking, or boarding, and MSC will match a person's status on another cruise line (or other travel status levels; hotels for example) with a status level that is approximately the same as theirs (for example, Celebrity Elite will get you Black status on MSC). Since Black status is currently their highest level, there are many benefits to trying to match your status with any other travel level. Status level of any kind does not give a person even access to the Yacht Club area not to mention any kind of services in the Club section of the ship.

I have no idea where that person got that idea, but it is totally wrong. The "Yacht Club" is a specific group of cabins in a specific section of the ship that can be reserved/paid for by anyone, status level is not a consideration for access. They are the top tier of cabins on MSC ships. They have nothing to do with having "Black Status", which is similar to Celebrity's "Elite" and above status. A person can apply for status match before booking, or boarding, and MSC will match a person's status on another cruise line (or other travel status levels; hotels for example) with a status level that is approximately the same as theirs (for example, Celebrity Elite will get you Black status on MSC). Since Black status is currently their highest level, there are many benefits to trying to match your status with any other travel level. Status level of any kind does not give a person even access to the Yacht Club area not to mention any kind of services in the Club section of the ship.

I was actually wondering the same thing.

We'll be first time MSC Yacht Club cruisers in January. Up until now, we've mostly cruised with RC and most recently with Celebrity. On both of those lines, their top tier cruisers, Pinnacle and Zenith, are allowed access into all of the suite only venues, including the concierge lounges, restaurants (where applicable) private sun deck areas, as well as reserved theater seating. Depending on the time of year that you cruise, there can be many of those top tiers on board, especially the RC ships.

As another just posted, YC has nothing to do with loyalty status. Loyalty status can get things like free laundry, free specialty restaurant meal and so on. YC is a private enclave that you book and pay for regardless of status.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My DW and I are regular Celebrity cruisers. We are thinking of giving MSC Seaside a try. But most reviews have been bad so am a little nervious about booking.Can someone who have recently sailed both tell me the major differences between the two cruise lines? Drink packages what are the cost? Limit of alcohol drinks per day? Quality of food on MSC? Any additional nickel and dime items?

We are in our 60’s and full of life just really need to know what to expect with MSC. I apologize if this has been covered but need fresh opinions on the two cruise lines.

DW and I, who usually cruise in Celebrity or Azamara suites, have just experienced a superb week in Seaside Yacht Club. While, in my opinion, the food in Luminae on Celebrity ships has a slight edge, the overall Yacht Club experience cannot be matched by Celebrity or Azamara, certainly if value for money is the main criterion. To have access to a mega ship and all its attractions and be able to retire to the sanctuary of YC is truly a memorable experience.

That being said, I realize that it doesn’t really answer your questions. I can’t comment on drink packages or food outside Yacht Club (other than gelato and pizza which were both excellent) but our overall impression was that if it wasn’t for YC we would prefer to stick with Celebrity. If we were 20 years younger that might not be the case. Seaside is a beautiful ship with much to offer so my advice is, if your budget runs to YC go for it, you will be amazed, if not, give it a try but recognize that it’s worlds apart from the more sedate Celebrity experience.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was actually wondering the same thing.

We'll be first time MSC Yacht Club cruisers in January. Up until now, we've mostly cruised with RC and most recently with Celebrity. On both of those lines, their top tier cruisers, Pinnacle and Zenith, are allowed access into all of the suite only venues, including the concierge lounges, restaurants (where applicable) private sun deck areas, as well as reserved theater seating. Depending on the time of year that you cruise, there can be many of those top tiers on board, especially the RC ships.

Many , many, many of those cruisers on board.:eek:

I am a member of MSC’s “yacht club” due to their “status matching” with my Celebrity status... So I was also able to go to the yacht club pool area as well.

Hi Dodger,

This is totally wrong...bogus. You will not get access to the YC no matter what your status is. You have to book into the YC in order to get in.

Having sailed both celebrity and msc I choose celebrity.food was better and friendlier passengers and crew.we are not upper crust cruise passengers though and book inside cabins so my opinion is just mine.

Most recent reviews have been very positive so i don't know what you are reading. Entertainment is the biggest difference MSC is far superior to X and X is much more $$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Drink packages what are the cost? Limit of alcohol drinks per day? Any additional nickel and dime items?

Drink package prices are much cheaper on MSC. Also, they don't require each person from the same cabin to surrender their cruisecard when ordering drinks - unlike on X. There is no limit to the amount of drinks you can order when you have an all-inclusive package. MSC is also less likely to 'nickel and dime' you than other cruiselines.

Bear in mind that if you do give MSC a try, you won't be paying Celebrity prices, so you shouldn't really expect to get a better experience at a cheaper price.