Bummer about the deposit....

Shippy

REASONS WHY I LOVE CRUISES CRITIC......

This is where you get so many things clarified & everyone needs to blog because the cruise lines change info all the time.

Although the agency I originally checked with actually clicked off the phone to make sure about the deposit rules & then clicked back....their info was not accurate. Because of all the responses on this thread not agreeing, I just called Norwegian.

They said the $100. is fully refundable up until the final payment date, then penalties start to occur.

BUT.....they also clarified something else...the last time we were on Norwegian we got their dining package and paid NOTHING....now you have to pay gratuities on that, in advance, just like with the beverage package.

Now we really have to consider...not saying that overall the cruise price is not a good deal...just that it is now a little over $300. more than I expected because of these gratuities.

REASONS WHY I LOVE CRUISES CRITIC......

This is where you get so many things clarified & everyone needs to blog because the cruise lines change info all the time.

Although the agency I originally checked with actually clicked off the phone to make sure about the deposit rules & then clicked back....their info was not accurate. Because of all the responses on this thread not agreeing, I just called Norwegian.

They said the $100. is fully refundable up until the final payment date, then penalties start to occur.

BUT.....they also clarified something else...the last time we were on Norwegian we got their dining package and paid NOTHING....now you have to pay gratuities on that, in advance, just like with the beverage package.

Now we really have to consider...not saying that overall the cruise price is not a good deal...just that it is now a little over $300. more than I expected because of these gratuities.

Decline udp and dining and the $300 disappears. Dining is only about $22 though.

Even though everyone (US booking) pays the service charge if they take the SDP/UBP promos, nobody is "forced" to take the promos. If they aren't wanted, don't take them to avoid the added cost. Every person is different. What is a good deal for some may not be a good deal for others.

Even though everyone (US booking) pays the service charge if they take the SDP/UBP promos, nobody is "forced" to take the promos. If they aren't wanted, don't take them to avoid the added cost. Every person is different. What is a good deal for some may not be a good deal for others.
Sounds like we get a fairer deal in the UK when Free means Free. We don't expect a deposit to be refundable so aren't put off by it. If you put down a deposit it's effectively a downpayment :-)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

I was all set this morning to hold a suite on the Norwegian Star for next March.

Turns out there is a $!500.00 NON refundable deposit.

I know other cruiselines are now implementing non refundable deposits on suites but not aware of any this high.

As I am 70 years old....you can see why I would hesitate at this amount....bummer !

well, to start with, at 70 unless you do have health issues I don't think I would be too concerned about putting up a $500 non refundable deposit. Now, at our age, close to 82 maybe. The other issue, the reason for what you think is high is, to make sure it is high enough that people will think twice about holding an expensive cabin and then changing their minds 6 months or maybe 5 months from now. I understand it perfectly well. I do know the non refundable isn't always the case. As for 70 and falling apart, wait until you are about 10 years older. As for us, we and most of our friends say: turn 80 and it all goes down hill.

Edited by newmexicoNita

OMG.....I'm 69, a cancer conqueror....and my oncologist told me that unless I get hit by a car (or something else unexpected)....I'll live to 118.

OP...it your really want to go, get insurance and if something bad happens, your insurance should cover it.

My feelings exactly and hubby is also a cancer survivor. We always take out insurance as soon as we book. :p

Your total cost is usually higher. Another poster from "across the pond" sometimes runs the prices in both situations (factoring in service charges, etc.) and the "all inclusive" is higher.
I haven't been All Inclusive yet. We had to pay DSC separately but had a great deal I think on the free UBP as the menu prices were pretty high with the weak £

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

I did check...apparently this policy applies to suites....

and to make matters worse... Norwegian is throwing in a 'free' beverage package. My husband was thrilled until he read the fine print.....we would be responsible for a 20% gratuity, EACH, DAILY. That is over $17. a day each. I do not drink but would be charged that anyway.

Like the old saying goes...if it looks to good to be true...and this did in the beginning.

"Free" is never free on NCL.

"Free" is never free on NCL.

Would you prefer to pay a service charge of say $2 on each drink as you pick it up? The drink is free, but you have to pay a service charge, or sales tax. Sounds free to most of us.

Would you prefer to pay a service charge of say $2 on each drink as you pick it up? The drink is free, but you have to pay a service charge, or sales tax. Sounds free to most of us.

If you're being told it's free and then told to get your free item it will cost you $125, sounds like an email scam to me. When they first started giving out the UBP it actually was FREE. Then they figured out their current scam and keep increasing the daily price of the free package to increase the tips. Pure scam as far as I'm concerned.

"Free" is never free anywhere.

Not actually true. On Carnival, I am Platinum and I actually get a free gift every time I take a cruise with them. I am paying for the cruise and paid the same for the cruise before I turned Platinum so it actually is a free gift. And I don't have to pay a $5 tip or tax to get my free gift. So some things actually are free.....except on NCL.

Yes, the ccl gift is free.

But RCL also have non refund down payment fee as much as 900 for 2.

So I am not booing anymore 12-16 months in advance.

I am 84 can cruise any time but for working PAX they have to make sure their vacation is covered.

All they cruise lines want to make money with your deposit.

Not actually true. On Carnival, I am Platinum and I actually get a free gift every time I take a cruise with them. I am paying for the cruise and paid the same for the cruise before I turned Platinum so it actually is a free gift. And I don't have to pay a $5 tip or tax to get my free gift. So some things actually are free.....except on NCL.

Maybe they just overcharged you by $10 for each of your previous cruises and banked that money to eventually pay for your gift...:D

You have more than paid for that "free" gift.

I was all set this morning to hold a suite on the Norwegian Star for next March.

Turns out there is a $!500.00 NON refundable deposit.

I know other cruiselines are now implementing non refundable deposits on suites but not aware of any this high.

As I am 70 years old....you can see why I would hesitate at this amount....bummer !

Agree it's not fair.

Agree it's not fair.

It's also not true.

Or at least, not true "everywhere"; it might be country specific, or perhaps Europe generally (?)

It's not true for USA-based travelers, which account for a very large proportion of the total on NCL cruises.

Did you read the other posts?

GC

LOL, that's cute. You spent tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars to get that status and gift and you think it is free.

LOL, that's cute. You spent tens (hundreds?) of thousands of dollars to get that status and gift and you think it is free.

The cost of the cruise is the same whether I take the gift or not, Can you say the same of the UBP (the correct answer is no if you are unsure)?