Can someone on verizon please explain

How I should handle my phone plan on board and while in 2 ports in Mexico. I really only want to send/receive a few texts to check in with family at home. No facebook, instagram, twitter, on line anything - just a few text messages.

What Bob said.

If you want to go a little farther, you can ask Verizon to add "Travel Pass" to your phone. It costs nothing on days you don't use your phone.

If you *DO* use your phone in Mexico, you pay $2 for the day and then your regular home plan is in effect (for example: unlimited texting, unlimited minutes, or whatever you have).

Other countries are mostly $10.

What Bob said.

If you want to go a little farther, you can ask Verizon to add "Travel Pass" to your phone. It costs nothing on days you don't use your phone.

If you *DO* use your phone in Mexico, you pay $2 for the day and then your regular home plan is in effect (for example: unlimited texting, unlimited minutes, or whatever you have).

Other countries are mostly $10.

Travel Pass is now $5/day in Mexico and Canada, $10/day in most other countries.

So if i can get/receive texts for a small charge, do I put my phone on airplane mode once on board?

And another thought - Can I deactivate my current phone & reactivate an old one for the trip? This way if something happens to it, I’m not losing my good phone?

So if i can get/receive texts for a small charge, do I put my phone on airplane mode once on board?

And another thought - Can I deactivate my current phone & reactivate an old one for the trip? This way if something happens to it, I’m not losing my good phone?

Having kids who have broken phones over the years I can tell you first hand that this can be done. To this day I will never trade in an old phone to receive a new one at a lesser cost. It's pretty simple to do. Log on to your Verizon wireless account and you can do it yourself through there or call a Verizon rep and they can talk you through it.

If you want to use the ship's cell tower and get charged by the text, the phone cannot be in airplane mode. I would also turn off cellular data just to be sure that you don't get charged for data.

Contact your cell carrier about activating an old phone.

You can switch phones through the Verizon website, don't need to call. DH has done it many times. I think you will need the SIM card number (it's on the card in tiny print). If you have used the old phone on Verizon before it will be on their list to be selected. Right after switching phones make a test call just to be sure that it registers on the Verizon system. I probably made it sound too complicated, but yes you certainly can switch phones back and forth on the same number.

I use the Verizon Travel Pass a lot for international travel as we have more data in our base plan than we ever use (and roll over data from the previous month). As others have noted, the cost in most countries is $10 per day, but Mexico is $5 per day (not $2 per day as some have noted). Current costs are here:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/travelpass-countries/

We get WiFi on the ship and most apps that I would use on shore (Google Maps, Google Translate) can be used with no Internet access if you plan in advance, so we don't typically need cellular access. If we do need internet access when on shore, I just turn on WiFi and get charged for the next 24 hours. Verizon does bill by 24 hour increments so if you use it starting at 1:00pm one day, you can use it in the next port the next day until 1:00pm with no additional charge. You will receive a message when your 24 hour period is about to run out.

[url=https://www.verizonwireless.com/plans/travelpass-countries/][/url]