Butter "rationing" on the Ruby?

anugama143

Last year on the Star, there was no butter dish in the MDR during dinner. Instead, we had to wait to ask our waiter for each pat of butter to be given to us (and often a long wait). We will be on the Ruby this fall, and wonder if anyone who has been on that ship recently has experienced this.

Edited by anugama143
Corrected grammar

No idea on Ruby but last fall on Emerald Princess and this spring on Caribbean Princess there was no butter rationing. I've seen the posts but I think it is the proverbial "tempest in a teapot" and not something I would worry about. If I ran into a situation where the waiter didn't bring me butter I would ask to speak with the head waiter and get it straightened out pronto.

Last year on the Star, there was no butter dish in the MDR during dinner. Instead, we had to wait to ask our waiter for each pat of butter to be given to us (and often a long wait). We will be on the Ruby this fall, and wonder if anyone who has been on that ship recently has experienced this.

Of course they give you all you want but I believe their theory is in order to control waste, not to hand it out until requested in the DR's.

Someone in management decided in order to implement a cost reduction it would be a great idea.

My solution to the problem is to order 6 at a time. ;)

We had this happen on a cruise that was immediately after a norovirus cleaning. The waiters had to bring everything and serve it to you: bread, butter, etc. I don't think that there were even salt and pepper shakers on the table. When my sister ordered tea and requested sweetener, the waiter practically slapped her had away when she reached for her own packet.

I believe proper etiquette is -- when you are passed the butter dish, you should take

all the butter you expect to use with your meal, and place it on your butter dish.

But, it's been a long time since I was in finishing school. :)

Last time we asked, we were told it was "handed out" by the wait staff to prevent cross-contamination between unrelated cruisers. I suspect families that occupy an entire table (i.e. TD, where they have time to ascertain that it's one family) get the butter dish dropped off; we had a two-top so butter was ready when we got there.

One time we had dinning companion lick his knife and then he used it in the butter dish. I actually think he thought he was cleaning off his knife! Luckily I had already taken some butter. The waiter witnessed what happen and the next night our butter was served individually ! I was thankful

Sent from my iPad using Forums

One time we had dinning companion lick his knife and then he used it in the butter dish. I actually think he thought he was cleaning off his knife! Luckily I had already taken some butter. The waiter witnessed what happen and the next night our butter was served individually ! I was thankful

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That would never happen at our table.

It's only the two of us. :D

I believe proper etiquette is -- when you are passed the butter dish, you should take

all the butter you expect to use with your meal, and place it on your butter dish.

But, it's been a long time since I was in finishing school. :)

I usually take a pat of butter and put it on my side plate and spread it from there.

I was on a cruise once when a tablemate just cut his roll up into two pieces and stabbed one half into the butter dish and took a bite.

Then repeated with the same piece he had just taken a bite from.

And then his wife did the same thing.

We moved tables the next night.

We did several cruises on the Ruby last year in TD at a 6 top. The butter was always on the table usually two dishes with 3 or 4 patties each. On several occasions other pax at the table had to ask for more butter since the dish was empty which was quickly provided. We sailed on the Emerald earlier this year and found the same results.

The only time the waiter put the butter on our butter plate on any cruise line was when there was a severe noro outbreak. Then all the food in the HC was served to pax, salt/pepper shakers were not on the tables and drinks were poured by the waiters (no self service). It was all an attempt to stop the spread of noro and I was grateful.

A ship officer told us last year that they now somewhat control butter on the tables because on just one cruise they were throwing away thousands of pounds of butter. Once the butter is on the table, what is not consumed must be thrown away. Besides the cost of the butter, the problem of getting rid of it at the end of the cruise is a huge and expensive problem. You can have all the butter you want so just ask.

We've never had a problem getting all the butter we wanted on any Princess ship ... including Ruby! :)

This! If they don't put enough out on the table, ask for more.

We would typically find a butter dish on our table when we entered the dining room. It was a little sad that when it was at nearby tables which were set for people who didn't show up, it also had to be thrown away! After a couple of nights, they got the idea that the assigned couple was not going to show up and quit setting their table. This was for TD on a Japan cruise.

:cool:On the Ruby - so here's the scoop! Firstly, "ration" seems the wrong word as it implies some military regime. Butter is no longer left on the tables, which is easy to get with a request. Then it arrives in the usual silver butter tray we are used to on Princess.

But the big news: Ruby is using a new Enhanced Menu! The first in numerous years. As per passenger requests, you will find the normal favorites like pasta, salmon, etc - and of course lobster on the formal night - but also now you can order select steaks from the Crown Grill with a reduced price! If you prefer not to eat a in the Crown Grill, or only want a steak or lobster tail! And for the bread lovers, not only butter - but a new choice of spreads each night - I liked the Cinnamon Honey one on the raisin bread, and the tomato curry one on the cornbread. Yummy.

NOT another "Butter" thread, I thought this old dead horse was kicked around to the point of just being bones...…...give it a break and just ask for butter, they will serve it, we've never have had a problem on ANY ship.

Totally agree.

I was on a cruise once when a tablemate just cut his roll up into two pieces and stabbed one half into the butter dish and took a bite.

Then repeated with the same piece he had just taken a bite from.

And then his wife did the same thing.

We moved tables the next night.

Why did you wait that long?

Just off the Ruby on 6/23. Each night there was some type of butter mix on the table and no hard rolls. Made it clear to the waiter and assistant we were dairy people and would like the real butter along with the hard rolls. By day three, we had no problems as they adapted to our needs.

Of course they give you all you want but I believe their theory is in order to control waste, not to hand it out until requested in the DR's.

Someone in management decided in order to implement a cost reduction it would be a great idea.

Have never been on the Ruby but our family party of eight on the Regal had no complaints. We had plenty of butter and ordered ten shrimp cocktails for every dinner and they were lined up waiting for us. On occasion when the ten were gone more were added.

This five year old loved them.

38252341992_66d33b1e16_k.jpg

37561240814_1ac63bb60f_b.jpgShrimp for our table

We had plenty of butter for our freshly baked Challah along with the lox, cream cheese, onion, and sliced tomatoes.

Our three under six grandchildren loved eating in the dining room

37561151004_78789d00bc_b.jpgDinner Table

All you have to do is ask.(nicely) I don't understand all the complaining?

Howard

Agree Howard! We recently traveled with two well behaved granddaughters. Did anytime dining but the first night had a great wait crew so made reservations for their table each day. The staff are so accommodating, they love kids!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Have never been on the Ruby but our family party of eight on the Regal had no complaints. We had plenty of butter and ordered ten shrimp cocktails for every dinner and they were lined up waiting for us. On occasion when the ten were gone more were added.

This five year old loved them.

38252341992_66d33b1e16_k.jpg

37561240814_1ac63bb60f_b.jpgShrimp for our table

We had plenty of butter for our freshly baked Challah along with the lox, cream cheese, onion, and sliced tomatoes.

Our three under six grandchildren loved eating in the dining room

37561151004_78789d00bc_b.jpgDinner Table

All you have to do is ask.(nicely) I don't understand all the complaining?

Howard

The complaining comes about because on many ships they only give out three pats at once making you order each time in order to avoid waste.

When it get extremely busy during the serving of the main courses it might take a while even to get the attention of someone to even place an order plus another 5 minutes to receive it.

By that time I'm done with the meal & don't need it.

So in order to make sure I have it when I need it I'll order more than I need to begin with & leave the rest. Some waiters don't follow their instructions & provide more than the standard amount they're told to put on the table.

It sort of negates any saving that they thought would be made.