Getaway Delay / Crew Member Overboard

shwabob

What about hurricanes? Those are out of NCL control. But if your cruise was cancelled or dates altered, you'd expect compensation.

It’s a risk you take and what travel insurance is for! And all cruise lines offer refunds or option to book another cruise for hurricanes! To expect anything beyond refund of your original cost of the cruise is in my opinion ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The captain made amazing time. Tragedies bring the best and worst out in people. Yes there are some that missed their flights but they will make it home safe. That's what is important. Its not the first time people have missed a flight in this world. The boarding passengers will only miss a few hours but can look forward to a spectacular sunset sail away from Miami. There is nothing to be compensated for so I don't know why some people bring it up everytime a ship sails a little late or gets to port a little late. If you missed the day all together then it would be subtracted from your bill. As crazy it would be to ask for compensation for a few hour delay would be just as crazy for NCL to bill the arriving passengers for more hours aboard the ship. A little patience will get everyone through the day.

Again, hats off to the captain. I know he cant drink but if anyone deserves a stiff drink its him!

Edit: OMG I saw online the ship is to depart Miami at 6 pm. That's incredible after all that has happened its sailing 2 hours late.

Thank you, David. Well said. I, among others here, just got home from this sailing. The captain did an amazing job keeping passengers as informed as possible. The emotion in his voice last night when he announced that the search had ended was palpable.

Tracy

Tracy

Dude is super lucky to be alive after 24 hours in the ocean.

http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article214147969.html

They say he jumped at 1:00am Saturday morning least 14 hours before being discovered overboard. If picked up at 1:00pm today, that's an incredible 36 hours.

Edited by DaveL00

It's interesting that NCL immediately announced he jumped, and the media reported accordingly, yet now that the person has been found, all of the articles have been updated to say he "went overboard."

It's a miracle he's alive. Had that Carnival employee not have noticed him, things could have turned out quite differently.

It's interesting that NCL immediately announced he jumped, and the media reported accordingly, yet now that the person has been found, all of the articles have been updated to say he "went overboard."

It's a miracle he's alive. Had that Carnival employee not have noticed him, things could have turned out quite differently.

All ships in the area would have been briefed and assisted in the search. Its one of the biggest miracles ever no matter if he fell or jumped. To survive the jump and somehow stay afloat for a day and be discovered is almost impossible.

Huh? The two "related" articles in that link are from May, and have nothing to do with this crew member from the Getaway. Didn't see anything about a Carnival crew member seeing this man.

Huh? The two "related" articles in that link are from May, and have nothing to do with this crew member from the Getaway. Didn't see anything about a Carnival crew member seeing this man.

Try this link.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article214147969.html

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think he was referring to this article: http://amp.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article214147969.html

It mentions in the 4th paragraph it was a “Glory hotel steward” who spotted him in the water.

What an amazing outcome!

All ships in the area would have been briefed and assisted in the search. Its one of the biggest miracles ever no matter if he fell or jumped. To survive the jump and somehow stay afloat for a day and be discovered is almost impossible.

We may never know details, but if he jumped/accidentally fell off, he wouldn't have been wearing a life vest. So I wonder if by divine intervention there was something floating in the water he was able to grab on to, or if he somehow managed to keep himself afloat with no assistance for 24+ hours? I consider myself to be a good swimmer, but that's a loooong time for anyone to be in the water. I guess if the sea were calm you could float on your back and await rescue but no way could you tread water for that long.