“Must Pack” items?

We are on the FOS July 14, and I am so excited! I used to cruise a lot, but it has been a while, and I’m rusty. It’s also my first time with more than 2 in a cabin. I have a nagging feeling that we are forgetting something on our packing list.

We are light packers. We will each have a carry-on roller bag and 1 personal item (beach tote for me, backpacks for DH and DS). With that in mind, what “must pack” item should we add to the packing list?

Thanks!

Monica, Atlanta GA

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Love the watch tip. We once left a beach way too early because we didn’t know if our cell phones auto-updated with the local time (v ship time).

Anna, do the cabins have lotion, shampoo, hairdryer, etc? (My last few cruises were Princess.)

Anyone have a good source for Sunscreen in TSA sizes? My DS only uses spray, so I may have to fork over big $$$ on the ship.

Anyone have a good source for Sunscreen in TSA sizes? My DS only uses spray, so I may have to fork over big $$$ on the ship.

stop at CVS on the way to the ship if you are flying in the same day

if you have time of course

Just remember some people say "must pack" may not be what you need. The first time we cruised I got a lot of responses on here and 80% of the stuff was put in the trash and never used. Some people pack the kitchen sink when they cruise. The highlighters, over the door organizers, magnets, a lot of stuff people say are never needed. While it may be useful to them, it just takes up space and isn't needed for many others.

Your drivers license, birth certificate (or passport) is all that's needed in addition to your funds and boarding pass. Enjoy your cruise!

I think a “must have” for us was a set of magnetic hooks and some metal cloths pen type clips. It gave us another level of space to hang damp clothes to dry.

Also, we liked our whiteboard for the door. I got a flat one that is about 11x17 and it made keeping up with everyone a breeze.

My whiteboard and hooks/clips took up no extra space at all. The hooks and clips fit in a sandwich size ziplock and the whiteboard rolls up in a tube with markers and erasers that is about 1.5x11 inches. Easily placed anywhere in a suitcase.

Things we didn’t need were towel clips for the chairs and over the door type hangers.

We did bring our own shampoo and conditioner but we didn’t fly so didn’t have any kind of size restrictions.

There is one thing that is a "must have", but it isn't something you'd pack. Patience. There will be times during your cruise when you'll be waiting in line for something. Embarkation, Debarkation, at the buffet, waiting for an elevator, waiting for the theater to open so you can get a seat, etc.

For us - my own shampoo and soap (both are bar form so no liquids issue). Phone charger and IPad for books. We pick us sunscreen at the embarkation point. We also travel with a 22” carry on and personal item - makes life so much easier.

Your must have toiletties: shampoo. hairspray, deodorant, sunscreen, tooth paste, tooth brush, comb and any OTC meds you use regularly.

Wal-mart and Target both have good travel size sections. You really don't want to pay prices on board your ship.

a small flashlight

I never go anywhere for an overnight without taking a flashlight

imagine waking up in the middle of the night due to an emergency and all the lights are out ....

WHAT is more helpful than LIGHT / vision

My mini maglight is always on my bedside table - on a cruise, in a hotel, even at the kid's houses .... unless I KNOW I can navigate blind I KNOW where my maglight is!

Edited by Capt_BJ

It also depends on where you are cruising.

The only time I have packed and used an over the door organizer thing was for Greenland and the Canadian Arctic. Gloves, hats, sunglasses, binoculars, camera... for 2 people. The outdoor gear was easy to find and throw on as we headed to the deck because "polar bear!" was announced ship wide. (Or "narwhal!" Or "walrus!" You get the idea.)

For anywhere else, totally not necessary.

I like a pop up clothes hamper. Others don't.

I do travel with my own toiletries because I have picky, eczema prone skin.

We are on the FOS July 14, and I am so excited! I used to cruise a lot, but it has been a while, and I’m rusty. It’s also my first time with more than 2 in a cabin. I have a nagging feeling that we are forgetting something on our packing list.

We are light packers. We will each have a carry-on roller bag and 1 personal item (beach tote for me, backpacks for DH and DS). With that in mind, what “must pack” item should we add to the packing list?

Thanks!

Monica, Atlanta GA

Portable radio ,deck of cards ,several books to read .

If your hair is partial to a particular shampoo you might want that. I can make do with some things but shampoo isn't one of them.

Must have for us is any OTC medication that you may need. They don't have to take up a lot of room, just take them out of the box. You never know when you might need them.

I take magnetic hooks and attach them next to (or on?) the cabin door to hang our ship cards (on lanyards), so we always know where they are in the cabin and grab them on our way out each time.

I've also taken battery operated votive candles to use as nightlights in the bathroom, because I don't like to be blinded by the overhead light in the middle of the night. More recently though, I replaced the battery votives with a more typical battery operated nightlight that can sit on the bathroom counter: https://smile.amazon.com/Mr-Beams-Battery-Powered-Motion-Sensing-Stick-Anywhere/dp/B01FIAWKCC/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1530750397&sr=8-5&keywords=battery+night+light

I also take a waterproof phone pouch and have been very pleased with that on several trips, and I take my own stevia for coffee.

Thank you! Love the watch tip. We once left a beach way too early because we didn’t know if our cell phones auto-updated with the local time (v ship time).

Anna, do the cabins have lotion, shampoo, hairdryer, etc? (My last few cruises were Princess.)

Are you arriving a day early? Find a drugstore nearby the hotel and bring a bigger/better size onboard with you.

The TSA rule is maximum 3.4 ounces in your CARRY ON. Any liquid over that amount just has to be in your checked luggage. Go ahead and buy your sunscreen and bring it with you.

TSA Liquids Rule

liquidsrule_example-outlined.svg