Beverage Card??

hockeymom987

Help from all of you experienced HAL cruisers needed! We won't be buying a beverage package because it doesn't make sense for us. Do we have to buy beverage cards??? Or can we just charge purchases to the room? The way I see it, there could be money "left on the table" by using a beverage card, multiplied by 5 (the number in our party).

If you can charge to the room, what is the advantage of the beverage card?

Thanks!

It's just a personal preference. I like to use a beverage card so I don't see all those drink charges on my shipboard account.

Any unused monies are automatically refunded to your shipboard account on the last day.

It's just a personal preference. I like to use a beverage card so I don't see all those drink charges on my shipboard account.

Any unused monies are automatically refunded to your shipboard account on the last day.

Exactly. The only slip I have to keep track of is the most recent one after I verify that the remaining balance is correct. I bought a $250 beverage card for my most recent cruise (plus had a freebie for $25 that I used first). I had $50ish left on the card at the end and that amount was credited to my shipboard account on my final bill.

So if any balance is credited to your final bill, and your final bill is a credit (i.e. you've managed not to spend money on other things), do they refund your credit card?

At the end of the cruise, any money left in your shipboard account will be credited back to your credit card.

We also like to get the Beverage Cards.

I don't want to have to spend the end of the cruise going through all those slips of paper to see if my bill is correct.

When we use the Beverage Card, I just check to make certain, that the amount is correct and then throw out the previous slip of paper.

I, too, prefer the beverage card for the exact reasons others have posted. But, to answer your question, it is not necessary to have a beverage card to purchase beverages. You can charge them to your cabin for all, or a portion of the cruise.

Frequently I have very little left on my beverage card on the last day of the cruise, so I use the balance for part of the price of that last drink, and charge the balance to my cabin.

So if any balance is credited to your final bill, and your final bill is a credit (i.e. you've managed not to spend money on other things), do they refund your credit card?

Unless you have a bunch of OBC, I doubt you'll have a credit (before unused beverage card credit). Remember, you'll have a daily hotel service charge for each person. But if you do, it will be refunded to your credit card.

Does beverage card act like a restaurant gift card in that cost of any beverage is deducted with each purchase? Is beverage card replaceable if you loose it?

Thanks,

Ed

Frequently I have very little left on my beverage card on the last day of the cruise, so I use the balance for part of the price of that last drink, and charge the balance to my cabin.

That's how you know that you've done a good job. ;)

What I still don't understand is if you have to sign for each drink when using the beverage card. I know that you receive slips of paper, but do you have to sign them?

Exactly. The only slip I have to keep track of is the most recent one after I verify that the remaining balance is correct. I bought a $250 beverage card for my most recent cruise (plus had a freebie for $25 that I used first). I had $50ish left on the card at the end and that amount was credited to my shipboard account on my final bill.

Where did the "freebie" come from? Or do you mean that you received some OBC (onboard credit)?

You'd have to be carrying two cards instead of one. There isn't any monetary advantage to buying the card.

The two cards really aren't all that heavy. I don't consider it a hardship to carry both at the same time. That's especially true when I consider the advantages of having a beverage card.

What I still don't understand is if you have to sign for each drink when using the beverage card. I know that you receive slips of paper, but do you have to sign them?

No, you don't have to sign anything. You keep the previous slip which has the balance on it. You get a new slip showing the price deducted and the new balance. Do some quick math to determine it was subtracted correctly (it's been known to happen that you get someone else's card by mistake), then toss the old slip and keep the new one.

Repeat until the balance is $0.00. <hic>

Thank you. We are sold! I may take a permanent marker and place a dash on the back of our card. Also, we carry old leather card holders that we received from Celebrity many years ago. It has two slots in it...one for room card, and another perfect for a drink card.

It is also possible to order a soda card online before your cruise; the cost is $25, for $50 worth of soft drinks. You may also purchase a bottle of spirits to drink in your stateroom. On our most recent HAL cruise we pre-ordered a litre of Canadian rye whiskey for $40 (considerably less expensive than on Celebrity), and were all set for the week.

Does beverage card act like a restaurant gift card in that cost of any beverage is deducted with each purchase? Is beverage card replaceable if you loose it?

Thanks,

Ed

that's a good analogy. It's like a gift card or pre loaded credit card and the purchase is just deducted.

Yes, it is replaceable if you loose it. If you order on line, it will have your name on it. I think from what others have reported that if you go to the front desk, they will put it on if you buy it on board. A good way to make sure you get the right card back ;)

Where did the "freebie" come from? Or do you mean that you received some OBC (onboard credit)?

The other question you asked in this post was already answered, but to answer this, our last cruise I believe we refared with the Cyber Week promo (happens in November) which included among other things a $25 beverage card as a perk.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about the beverage cards thus far is that the first (and only the first) time you use it, you also give them your room card. I'm guessing that's to link it to their photo on file of you and perhaps your onboard account in case of a refund. Your beverage card spending also counts towards your spending bonus ($300 spending per bonus day earned) for your mariner status.

Very helpful, all! :)

It is also possible to order a soda card online before your cruise; the cost is $25, for $50 worth of soft drinks. You may also purchase a bottle of spirits to drink in your stateroom. On our most recent HAL cruise we pre-ordered a litre of Canadian rye whiskey for $40 (considerably less expensive than on Celebrity), and were all set for the week.

Can you get the above deal onboard or does the $25 for $50 worth of soft drinks deal only work online?

We have a lot of OBC that we will use to buy a $250 beverage card and do a Specialty restaurant or two. Would also like to use to buy the soft drink card, but it's not a big deal to order that ahead of time.

We would use OBC for a $250 card for alcoholic and specialty coffee, and use then keep the soft drink card for it's stated purpose. That's such a great deal! That would give DH and I one soft drink per day, which is plenty (and more than we would do at home). But so welcoming on a hot Caribbean cruise. :cool:

I assume we can buy two drinks at a time with these cards, or do we each need our own cards? And is gratuity taken out with each drink?

Very helpful, all! :)

Can you get the above deal onboard or does the $25 for $50 worth of soft drinks deal only work online?

We have a lot of OBC that we will use to buy a $250 beverage card and do a Specialty restaurant or two. Would also like to use to buy the soft drink card, but it's not a big deal to order that ahead of time.

We would use OBC for a $250 card for alcoholic and specialty coffee, and use then keep the soft drink card for it's stated purpose. That's such a great deal! That would give DH and I one soft drink per day, which is plenty (and more than we would do at home). But so welcoming on a hot Caribbean cruise. :cool:

I assume we can buy two drinks at a time with these cards, or do we each need our own cards? And is gratuity taken out with each drink?

Yes, you can buy two drinks at a time, no need for a second card. Yes again for the gratuity, charged with every drink and deducted from the card balance. I've never tried to buy this card onboard, but the website makes no mention of it not being available.

• 11 months later...

Hi, all! Does anyone know if I am traveling with my two sons, can I purchase one soda card and then get sodas for all three of us on the one card, or is it like the alcoholic beverage cards where each person has to have their own? Thanks!