Why are drinks so expensive

Trimone

Compared to other cruise lines are drinks on NCL more expensive or pretty similar?

The only line I know that does have less expensive drinks is Princess, but overall even those that may have less expensive, the difference isn't much unless you are a huge boozer and drink a lot. Then I think you will notice a difference. The gratuity on NCL is a bit higher

In 2016, 24.7 million cruise passengers sailed the seas. Of these passengers nearly half (11.4 million) were US citizens. Germany was second with 2.1 million followed by China at 2.1 million, the UK with 1.9 million, and Australia with 1.3 million. Canada and Italy each had .75 million.

totally agree and where anyone gets the idea that workers that are not white collar get very little if any paid vacation I have no idea. The same with 2 paid weeks a year for white collar workers. Yes, the first few years the figure is often 2 weeks, but as the years go by many companies offer up to 4 weeks vacation and government employees get vacation build up by the day. Meaning so many hours a week are earned vacation so people can take vacation time before they have completed a year.

Now with that said, how in the heck did we go from how expensive drinks are on a cruise ship to how many people travel outside the country and have passports?

Or who watches soccer for that matter?

Now with that said, how in the heck did we go from how expensive drinks are on a cruise ship to how many people travel outside the country and have passports?

Or who watches soccer for that matter?

We are certainly way off topic. However, it was the OP who took us there.

Plenty of Americans travel. However, Americans also tended to gather "things" instead of "experiences". Car first, then home, then family, then other stuff, then travel is the typical American experience for those over 35. We had the typical 2 to 4 weeks of vacation time.

The young American people I work with are the exact opposite. Many of them don't have cars (about 50%). But they have been all over the world. There's about 100 of them under 30 where I work, They work as hard as we did, but because they have unlimited paid time off, they travel several times a year to different countries. Because they don't have many encumbrances when Iceland Air has a super cheap sale for the next weekend to Iceland, they figure out how to cover at work and a group of them hop on the plane.

So it's changing, and the average American will be more like the average traveler in the world.

The joke's on them! Wait until they see how expensive it is to eat and stay in Iceland!

I do agree with you about the 20-something generation here in America. My 23 y.o. has been all over Europe and also to Australia and New Zealand (thanks mostly to travel/study opportunities she had while in college), and travel still ranks highly on list of "wants". Most of her peers have traveled extensively outside of the U.S. as well. The current "trendy" places to travel among her age group are Iceland & Peru (it's all about the Instagram photos!)

Me, on the other hand - I have only been outside of the U.S. on a cruise (to the Caribbean and Mexico) and to Canada. Europe is on my bucket list - but it will likely be via a cruise. There are so many beautiful places here in the U.S. - if you haven't been to the Pacific Northwest, GO! Driving down the coast from Washington to southern California is some of the most breathtaking scenery you'll see in the world!

now that you mention price in lbs, it is clear you are number 1-not from America so are not accustom to the tipping of DSC policy most of us live with and you are comparing liquor prices to what you pay in your country. That explains your concerns. You know there are other lines out there you can sail if you don't like the American way of tipping and the prices for liquor that most of us are accustom to paying. Even in our little part of the country, it is tough to find a really decent glass of wine for less than $8 or so a glass and mixed drinks start at about the same, with good martinis for instance starting around $10. our various happy hours at our clubs only include the less expensive brands of booze often not even middle of the road brands

The DSC has absolutely nothing to do with bar prices on NCL and this thread isn't really about tipping. I also think it's a bit rude to tell someone there are other lines to sail if someone doesn't like the American way. The poster had already mentioned P & O's alcohol prices and so I think he's already pretty aware that there are other lines.

Alcohol prices that you talk of in the US are only slightly higher than here in the UK, however the prices on NCL are even higher than that and I can understand the posters concern. Usually when you board a ship and enter international waters, no duty is charged, this tends to make drinks cheaper. I get very frustrated that according to NCL I have to pay more than $15 for a single measure of Glenfiddich or many other well known drinks. At present exchange rates that is £11.25 if I have to add a tip then so be it. NCL definitely need to review the pricing structure because, like it or not and from wherever you come, they are ripping people off.

Fortunately the UBP is included for us but the fact that so many drinks are priced out of the UBP is quite frankly ridiculous.

The DSC has absolutely nothing to do with bar prices on NCL and this thread isn't really about tipping. I also think it's a bit rude to tell someone there are other lines to sail if someone doesn't like the American way. The poster had already mentioned P & O's alcohol prices and so I think he's already pretty aware that there are other lines.

Alcohol prices that you talk of in the US are only slightly higher than here in the UK, however the prices on NCL are even higher than that and I can understand the posters concern. Usually when you board a ship and enter international waters, no duty is charged, this tends to make drinks cheaper. I get very frustrated that according to NCL I have to pay more than $15 for a single measure of Glenfiddich or many other well known drinks. At present exchange rates that is £11.25 if I have to add a tip then so be it. NCL definitely need to review the pricing structure because, like it or not and from wherever you come, they are ripping people off.

Fortunately the UBP is included for us but the fact that so many drinks are priced out of the UBP is quite frankly ridiculous.

I just checked the cost of Glenfiddich at a local bar in my small suburban town, $16. I expect to pay higher prices for alcohol on vacation than at home.

I love all the experts that quote statistics here. How can anybody really know what other vacationers are doing with there money no matter what country they live in. Passports really. What our countries have to offer to there own citizens and stay so no passports are needed. Everybody is just guessing with there opinion. And you all are wrong. Getting limited information to back up your claim. On study says this and another study says the opposite. Does anybody really have all the information to bet there life on, just to be right. And the chance of being wrong and you die(or say you will move out of the country), I think not. Is it really that important. Look at all the politics in the world. Half of you think we are right and half of you think we are wrong and you speak for the moral majority. Just speak for yourself. Me I am a nobody. A crazy old man. Just someone who is fortunate to cruise often and hopefully get the most bang for my buck. Not just cruising but in my life. I want to go back to being a "believer". And the OP made observations with their own opinions which I respected but disagreed with. With my own opinion and how I spend my own money.

I love all the experts that quote statistics here. How can anybody really know what other vacationers are doing with there money no matter what country they live in. Passports really. What our countries have to offer to there own citizens and stay so no passports are needed. Everybody is just guessing with there opinion. And you all are wrong. Getting limited information to back up your claim. On study says this and another study says the opposite. Does anybody really have all the information to bet there life on, just to be right. And the chance of being wrong and you die(or say you will move out of the country), I think not. Is it really that important. Look at all the politics in the world. Half of you think we are right and half of you think we are wrong and you speak for the moral majority. Just speak for yourself. Me I am a nobody. A crazy old man. Just someone who is fortunate to cruise often and hopefully get the most bang for my buck. Not just cruising but in my life. I want to go back to being a "believer". And the OP made observations with their own opinions which I respected but disagreed with. With my own opinion and how I spend my own money.

Look what we started? Let’s be friends, and if I see you on a cruise? I’ll buy a large one..

I get very frustrated that according to NCL I have to pay more than $15 for a single measure of Glenfiddich or many other well known drinks. At present exchange rates that is £11.25 if I have to add a tip then so be it. NCL definitely need to review the pricing structure because, like it or not and from wherever you come, they are ripping people off.

They aren’t ripping people off if they are giving customers exactly the beverage advertised for the price referenced.

Please understand the meaning and use of the derogative terms you try using to bolster the consternation you have that the price of a discretionary commodity is over-inflated.

Look what we started? Let’s be friends, and if I see you on a cruise? I’ll buy a large one..

I know. Isn't this great. I have no enemies. To much time and emotion go into hating someone. And I am a bad first impression. Friends, Only if you give me a chance.:D Will you cruise Alaska? I know it is not like home but an Alaskan cruise is all about mother nature and not the cruise ship. I will take that large one as I rarely get the UBP. And we can discuss our observations(to other people "complaints").

Happy travels.

I know. Isn't this great. I have no enemies. To much time and emotion go into hating someone. And I am a bad first impression. Friends, Only if you give me a chance.:D Will you cruise Alaska? I know it is not like home but an Alaskan cruise is all about mother nature and not the cruise ship. I will take that large one as I rarely get the UBP. And we can discuss our observations(to other people "complaints").

Happy travels.

Alaska? I like heat, the U.K. is v/hot at present..

Caribbean Feb next year, then I’m looking maybe at Canada, some how I want to do the Montreal GP, and some sort of cruise.

I love the states, and have done road trips, I even have an old Chevrolet CK1500 6.2 diesel.

Catch you soon

Alaska? I like heat, the U.K. is v/hot at present..

Caribbean Feb next year, then I’m looking maybe at Canada, some how I want to do the Montreal GP, and some sort of cruise.

I love the states, and have done road trips, I even have an old Chevrolet CK1500 6.2 diesel.

Catch you soon

aloha

sorry, go back and read the OPs first comment. He did refer to DSC as well.

You don't know much about the US, do you, if you think there are anything like the number of vacation destinations in Canada as the US. And even more so for Aussies. The US hospitality industry has roughly 16 million employees. That is about 45% of Canada's total population and 67% of Australia's.

Canada and Australia are wonderful places but that has nothing to do with number and diversity of vacation destinations.

Don’t try to school me.

You totally missed the point.

And anyway, my comment was directed at someone else, not you.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don’t try to school me.

You totally missed the point.

And anyway, my comment was directed at someone else, not you.

a) it is a public message board so I'll respond to whatever I want

b) a guy says that Canada doesn't have as many vacation destinations as the US, an objectively factual statement, and you say he doesn't know Canada - implying that he is wrong.

I point out that he is factually correct, and adduce evidence.

So, just what WAS your point?

Feel free to 'school' me - if you can.

b) a guy says that Canada doesn't have as many vacation destinations as the US, an objectively factual statement, and you say he doesn't know Canada - implying that he is wrong.

Can you please give me the correct explanation of "vacation destination" that applies to everyone. And how long do you have to be gone? Do you have to leave town? I thought the water park close to where I live was a vacation destination. How about a ball game. The beach or mountains? Do you know how every Canadian, American, Asian, European, Australian, Indian etc considers what a vacation destination is.

Factually right. I do not think so unless you ask everyone. And I mean everyone on the world.

I am ready to take your survey.

Can you please give me the correct explanation of "vacation destination" that applies to everyone. And how long do you have to be gone? Do you have to leave town? I thought the water park close to where I live was a vacation destination. How about a ball game. The beach or mountains? Do you know how every Canadian, American, Asian, European, Australian, Indian etc considers what a vacation destination is.

Factually right. I do not think so unless you ask everyone. And I mean everyone on the world.

I am ready to take your survey.

Actually, the post that caused this little scuffle said that the US had a greater RANGE of destinations "from tropical to Mediterranean to alpine"

I think that on that particular scale, it is fair to say that the US does beat Canada.

I’ll just let you have the last word. It’s obviously REAL important to your sense of .... worth .... or manhood .... or something.

Pffffft.

Actually, the post that caused this little scuffle said that the US had a greater RANGE of destinations "from tropical to Mediterranean to alpine"

I think that on that particular scale, it is fair to say that the US does beat Canada.

Once again who are you to speak for everybody. Particular scale, range, fair what does that mean. They are just opinions. Tropical (do you mean mosquites are involved), alpine (trees), Mediterranean (access to water). What do those words mean to everyone. Do you know of every little hole in the wall people like to visit. Why do places need to offer more options. Does more mean better. Some of the options may not be very desirable. Why can't we just enjoy what we like to do. Same old , same old. Sometimes something new does't go so well.

Once again who are you to speak for everybody. Particular scale, range, fair what does that mean. They are just opinions. Tropical (do you mean mosquites are involved), alpine (trees), Mediterranean (access to water). What do those words mean to everyone. Do you know of every little hole in the wall people like to visit. Why do places need to offer more options. Does more mean better. Some of the options may not be very desirable. Why can't we just enjoy what we like to do. Same old , same old. Sometimes something new does't go so well.

Look, this isn’t my argument. It is an absolutely pathetic argument.

Personally, I don’t think that was a particularly contentious statement to make. For some reason, nobody on here can stop themselves from bickering about it, and you are even trying to turn my efforts of peacekeeping into an argument.

It is beyond pathetic, and that is an opinion that I am pretty certain about, speaking purely for myself.

When I say the words “I think” then it is quite clear to everyone with even basic comprehension skills that I am speaking for myself, not trying to “speak for everybody”. If you can’t understand that then I can’t be held responsible for that.

Edited by KeithJenner

Look, this isn’t my argument. It is an absolutely pathetic argument.

Personally, I don’t think that was a particularly contentious statement to make. For some reason, nobody on here can stop themselves from bickering about it, and you are even trying to turn my efforts of peacekeeping into an argument.

It is beyond pathetic, and that is an opinion that I am pretty certain about, speaking purely for myself.

When I say the words “I think” then it is quite clear to everyone with even basic comprehension skills that I am speaking for myself, not trying to “speak for everybody”. If you can’t understand that then I can’t be held responsible for that.

When you said i think you were making a personal opinion. I stand corrected. Never mind

Hmm, I bet the OP is talking about Matua sauvignon blanc.

We sailed Escape 10/17. Matua by the glass on UBP. Great!

Sailed again on Escape 2/18. Not by the glass. Initially brought some other horrible wine told to be Matua. Then told Matua not available by the glass. Other iterations followed... was really disappointed. The only other SB available was North South (which was awful). Once I was given a glass of chardonnay as a substitute (without my approval.) A tasty crisp white wine in Caribbean cruising doesn't seem like a ridiculous request. Very disappointed with this matter.