disembarkation in St Petersburg from Breakaway

question about the process of getting group letters to disembark after ships tours

does being Platinum give priority or do you have to get in line with everyone else

I'm hearing tales of people disregarding their group and joining queue early and no one checking

sounds like recipe for extremely long waits

my husband cant stand for long periods so trying to minimise wait

we are due to meet our private tour guide at 9am

That would be nice if there was a Platinum priority but I doubt it somehow.

It's a ridiculous process to prioritise those that have booked NCL tours at the expense of others and I won't be complying if I'm given Group C or D - I have paid good money for a non-NCL tour and it's not fair to have them waiting around because of NCL's 'rules.'

Russian immigration won't care whose tour you are on, so if you can find a way off at a time that suits, take it.

As you leave the ship head right before the terminal, that’s where we left the commercial lift used by the Haven, it was quicker, take hats and sun glasses off before booth, don’t get behind someone ignorant, that’s got a hat and sunglasses on

Have no idea if they checked group assignments for groups A- D. These were all called individually. When they got to our group, E, they called them all. And we were two hours late the first day to meet our guide. If you are late, your guide will be there. They know the situation. No matter, it’s just not fast that first day, a breeze the second. I recommend finding a line without a lot of families. Seems these groups comprised of parents and children took far longer.

It's a ridiculous process to prioritise those that have booked NCL tours at the expense of others ...

Those that use NCL tours pay a premium, so they should have priority over those that don't purchase NCL shore excursions.

Just a little more info, which may or may not impact you... we recently returned from a Baltics cruise with RCI, which had a two day stay in SPB. We had a private excursion booked with Alla Tours, and on that first day, it took our group close to an hour waiting in the customs and immigration lineup in the terminal to get through those booths on the way out, and almost as long on our way back that late afternoon. The second day we breezed right through both in the morning and the late afternoon. Hopefully your experience will be better, but just in case, be prepared for a VERY long wait of standing in those very long lineups.

Celine

It is my understanding that Russian immigration is enforcing that ship's tours go first this year, followed by private tours. I guess the cruise lines complained loud enough to get them to do this.

it's actually the cruise port which has come to an arrangement with the ship provided

tour company that no private tour companies are allowed to enter port until 90 minutes after arrival

this means ship tours get priority

doubtless money changed hands as in previous years there was no way ships got priority despite underhand tactics on board

Russian immigration don't care who is on ships or private tours or even have own visa as long as paperwork is in order

we are due to meet our tour guide 9am and am happy with later start time as will have leisurely breakfast and our group of 5 will plan to disembark together

I guess I was hoping by 8.30 queues would have died down but sounds like this is not the case

Just a little more info, which may or may not impact you... we recently returned from a Baltics cruise with RCI, which had a two day stay in SPB. We had a private excursion booked with Alla Tours, and on that first day, it took our group close to an hour waiting in the customs and immigration lineup in the terminal to get through those booths on the way out, and almost as long on our way back that late afternoon. The second day we breezed right through both in the morning and the late afternoon. Hopefully your experience will be better, but just in case, be prepared for a VERY long wait of standing in those very long lineups.

Celine

That’s why NCL decided to do it in groups so passengers didn’t have to stand in long lines as that’s what happened on the first Baltics Cruise of the season. The tour guides wait as they know immigration might take a while. As you are overnighting they don’t have to rush you back on Day 1. Day 2 is quicker because you have already been processed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's a ridiculous process to prioritise those that have booked NCL tours at the expense of others and I won't be complying if I'm given Group C or D - I have paid good money for a non-NCL tour and it's not fair to have them waiting around because of NCL's 'rules.'

Russian immigration won't care whose tour you are on, so if you can find a way off at a time that suits, take it.

This is a completely erroneous statement. It was Russian Port Authority who has set this rule in place and EVERY cruise line has been affected by this process. If you have a look at the PORTS OF CALL board for Europe you will find a very long thread about the St. Petersburg immigration change.

You paid good money, as did everyone else. Your tour guide will be aware of the disembarkation process, they've been dealing with it for almost a year now.

I do not know if they were more strict on subsequent NCL Baltic cruises, but on ours of May 29th, we were in group "B" and another in our Alla tour was in group "F". We met in the atrium at 7:45am and just walked off the ship. After 10-15 minutes through passport control, we were at our bus by 8:20am for our 8:30am meetup.

Purchase your excursion through NCL and you will be first off the ship.

Already purchased elsewhere for a much cheaper price and smaller group. I have no problems with NCL tours getting off first but want to try and get in the earliest group for the rest of us.

You can email your tour company to see if they can start your tour later on day 1. We took a private tour for just our family since we were traveling with a 3 year old and that’s what they suggested to help us avoid the lines. You’d just start earlier on day 2 so no time is lost overall. If you can afford it you might want to consider a private tour for just your family, since that way your husband can take as many breaks as he wants.

You can email your tour company to see if they can start your tour later on day 1. We took a private tour for just our family since we were traveling with a 3 year old and that’s what they suggested to help us avoid the lines. You’d just start earlier on day 2 so no time is lost overall. If you can afford it you might want to consider a private tour for just your family, since that way your husband can take as many breaks as he wants.

yes we are already on a private tour for 5 of us and was happy with later start time of 9am thinking most people would have disembarkd by the as we dock 7am

now appears lines are still long at that time

I will be on the NCL Baltic cruise departing on July 22nd. Since I have an Argentinian passport, I don't need a visa so I am planning to travel independently.

Do you think it will be a good idea to book a hotel and not return to the ship on the first night? How long does it take to go back to the Cruise Terminal from SP city centre?

That would be nice if there was a Platinum priority but I doubt it somehow.

Russian immigration is so slow it won't matter when you get off the ship. Got off early several years ago and waited an hour and a half for the rest of our group to make it thru immigration. There are at least 12 stations and only 4 of them were manned. I think they just like to make us wait.

When do they actually open reservations for St Petersburg disembarkment. Want to at least try and get in A or B group.

On our cruise, they opened reservations for the groups on Sunday and we were in SPB On Wed and Thursday. We waited til Mon morning to reserve and ended up in group E and didn’t get to meet our guide until 10:30.

On our cruise, they opened reservations for the groups on Sunday and we were in SPB On Wed and Thursday. We waited til Mon morning to reserve and ended up in group E and didn’t get to meet our guide until 10:30.

Was Sunday your sea day? so day 3?

Thanks that is helpful to know.:D

I am planning to take independent visa. Is it ok to DIY this port that way. Travelling with kids so want to be flexible. Thanks for any input.

It's not impossible but from what I understand most of the sites are very spread out and involve travel time. Assuming you are US Citizens? If so the visa process is lengthy and pricey but again doable if that is what you really wish to do....but often it's not much more for an organized tour thru one of the independent tour operators and you will see much more stuff then doing it on your own.

Do a lot of research if you wish to DIY. Getting around isn't easy there especially if you wish to see the "main" attractions.