Chair Hogging?

maddea20

I see so many people talking about chair hogging on cruises on this site. I usually, on past cruises, have just kept walking by if I didn’t see an available lounger. But is it frowned upon to just move that darn towel and plop your booty into that chair? Have any of you done that on a cruise before?

I’ve been tempted to but never have. ;)

Chair Hogging has become quite the past time over the years.

Best to request the staff to remove items, better than getting into a disagreement with the Hogs !

SPOTS.pig-in-beach-chair.jpeg

Chair Hogging has become quite the past time over the years.

Best to request the staff to remove items, better than getting into a disagreement with the Hogs !

Good advice to ask the new pool monitors on Carnival to monitor the situation. Don't be a vigilante.

I will actually walk around and if I see a few spots with no one there, I will wait the 40 minutes and then remove the items. When the people come back, I just tell them that the Carnival people came by and took their stuff because they were gone so long. This works for me since they have been gone the required amount.

The items get sent to the towel place.

Typically, the lounge chairs most likely to be "hogged" are those on the Lido deck surrounding the pool. If you don't absolutely have to be in the sun right by the pool, there are other chairs available.

We usually get up early and claim our chairs and go eat breakfast, but then we come right back and occupy our chairs for the day!! I don't think it's cool when someone puts their stuff on a chair and doesn't return for hours

We usually get up early and claim our chairs and go eat breakfast, but then we come right back and occupy our chairs for the day!! I don't think it's cool when someone puts their stuff on a chair and doesn't return for hours

Some would call you a chair hog.

Some would call you a chair hog.

Some would, but it would not be correct. It is perfectly reasonable for someone to leave their chair for 10-15 minutes to take a swim, run to the restroom or grab some food.

Chair hogs are the ones that stake out the chairs at 7 am and don't show up for hours.

And I don't have a "hog" is this fight...because we never sit on the Lido. We have a balcony because we want quiet, privacy and the ocean..not screaming, sardine packing and someones butt crack.:loudcry:

I don't understand what is the purpose to leave your chair empty for hours? If I know I'm hardly going to be using it I wouldn't feel I need to leave my towel in it and then leave for hours. Makes zero sense. IJS. lol

The world of me, myself, and I. I don't like sitting at the lido pool either, when I saw all the individuals in the aft pool last year I don't want to look at a pool of people soup. :eek: :')I rather be in a cool shaded spot somewhere.

I don't consider this being a chair hog. I never paid much attention until I started reading these threads now I will be on the look out just for fun.

Some would, but it would not be correct. It is perfectly reasonable for someone to leave their chair for 10-15 minutes to take a swim, run to the restroom or grab some food.

Chair hogs are the ones that stake out the chairs at 7 am and don't show up for hours.

And I don't have a "hog" is this fight...because we never sit on the Lido. We have a balcony because we want quiet, privacy and the ocean..not screaming, sardine packing and someones butt crack.:loudcry:

I disagree. The chairs are there for everyone's use, and even if you are sitting in it all day, you are still hogging it and preventing anyone else from using it. It may not be AS hoggy as reserving a chair and leaving it unoccupied, but monopolizing a limited resources is still hogging it.

Like with most things, ship's staff is not consistent with putting stickers on chairs, removing items, etc. Most of the time, hoggers station one person to be lookout and promptly remove stickers as soon as staff places them on the chairs. Gotta love that entitled mindset. I mean I'm sure THEY paid for those chairs, Not sure what I paid for then. Maybe I paid for the entertainment of watching people act like idiots.

I see so many people talking about chair hogging on cruises on this site. I usually, on past cruises, have just kept walking by if I didn’t see an available lounger. But is it frowned upon to just move that darn towel and plop your booty into that chair? Have any of you done that on a cruise before?

I’ve been tempted to but never have. ;)

Not a good idea , just get a pool person.

I was on Horizon june 25- july 3 cruise. I left my seat (deck 11) for 5 minutes (restrooms) and when i came back there was a sticker on my chair ! The attendant saw me and removed it. The best i have seen, same cruise, the attendant remove things from a chair, at least he is trying, the bag on the chair was lock with a chain !!!

I will actually walk around and if I see a few spots with no one there, I will wait the 40 minutes and then remove the items. When the people come back, I just tell them that the Carnival people came by and took their stuff because they were gone so long. This works for me since they have been gone the required amount.

The items get sent to the towel place.

good idea

So do you really sit in one place for 8 hours or more. What if Carnival said no one can put a towel on a chair unless they actually sit in the chair. In other words, no one can get up early, put a towel down and leave, period. This defines a chair hog. I know it will never happen, but it makes sense

I disagree. The chairs are there for everyone's use, and even if you are sitting in it all day, you are still hogging it and preventing anyone else from using it. It may not be AS hoggy as reserving a chair and leaving it unoccupied, but monopolizing a limited resources is still hogging it.

Sorry, but you are wrong. They are doing nothing more than making use of a limited resource for as long as they want to use it. Since they are abiding by the stated rules, they are not chair hogs. I guess someone sitting in a stall in the men's room for longer than you sit in a stall in the men's room would be a can hog because they are "preventing anyone else from using it".

Sorry, but you are wrong. They are doing nothing more than making use of a limited resource for as long as they want to use it. Since they are abiding by the stated rules, they are not chair hogs. I guess someone sitting in a stall in the men's room for longer than you sit in a stall in the men's room would be a can hog because they are "preventing anyone else from using it".

Well on a ship it's entirely excusable . All those preservatives could wall up a walrus .

4_18_7.gif~c200

To answer the OP's question:

Yes, I have done it. I will move a towel out of the way, but I won't touch people's personal property. Chairs are there for people to use, and are not assigned or saved. I don't understand why people have such a hard time with this. If the person comes back while I am using the chair, I will offer to move if confronted. To date, out of 13 cruises, I have never had to move once. Typically, the person just goes and finds another chair. I am also very nice about it. I just don't see why people make such a big deal about it.