Experienced Cruisers But First Time with Celebrity

TonyM99

After 15 cruises most with Princess we embark in September on our first Celebrity cruise - Celebrity Silhouette -

Obviously with Princes we know most of the tips / shortcuts ways of doing things etc. but are going to be Newbies with Celebrity - So any experienced Celebrity cruisers got any advise tips "The way things are done" which might be different -

Any feedback / advice welcome

After 15 cruises most with Princess we embark in September on our first Celebrity cruise - Celebrity Silhouette -

Obviously with Princes we know most of the tips / shortcuts ways of doing things etc. but are going to be Newbies with Celebrity - So any experienced Celebrity cruisers got any advise tips "The way things are done" which might be different -

Speciality restaurants are well worth visiting, look at the cost of a dining package pre boarding.

Laundry is quite expensive per item but mid cruise they often have a ‘stuff as much in a bag as you can offer’....keep your eyes open for it or check with your room attendant.

You can take on board two standard bottles of wine but you will pay corkage if you drink them in a restaurant.

Price up a drinks package if you don’t already have one included, great for enjoying speciality coffees as well as beers, wines and spirits.

Certain room categories have additional perks (concierge, aqua, suites) so check what come with your cabin and ask on CC if you are unsure.

Sincere best wishes for a great cruise!

I'm not telling! lol. My favorite cruises are the first time on a cruise line when I don't know everything.

OK, one tip - the pastries in the coffee place are free. The coffee is a per charge but all the pastries and snacks that change throughout the day are free. Many times we will skip dessert in the dining room and stop by here because their treats are so much better.

One more. Room service is free most of the day, I think they start charging after midnight or similar. There is an up charge for some stuff but there is plenty that is free. And, they have hot breakfast items for room service, not just a continental breakfast like many lines.

Have a great cruise

Best craft beer selection on Silhouette is in Cellar Masters.

The Oceanview Bar also called the Sunset Bar is a great place for the sailaway from ports.

Get the free ice cream in the Oceanview Cafe and forget about the overpriced and mediocre gelato at Cafe al Bacio. But the free deserts at al Bacio are great!

Best burger (but not free) on Silhouette is Lawn Club Grill. Unless you are in a suite (Luminae).

If you are into more expensive drinks and martinis upgrade to the Premium drink package. The World Class Bar is less crowded and more relaxed than the Martini Bar.

If you want to keep in touch buy an unlimited WiFi package and use free WiFi calling on your phone for calling and texting.

The food at the Spa Cafe in the Solarium is free for all. Used to be called the Aqua Spa Cafe leading some to think it was only for Aqua Class Cabins or now that it is for Spa patrons only. On Deck 7 midship is The Hideaway where one can get self serve coffee and tea.

I'm not telling! lol. My favorite cruises are the first time on a cruise line when I don't know everything.

OK, one tip - the pastries in the coffee place are free. The coffee is a per charge but all the pastries and snacks that change throughout the day are free. Many times we will skip dessert in the dining room and stop by here because their treats are so much better.

One more. Room service is free most of the day, I think they start charging after midnight or similar. There is an up charge for some stuff but there is plenty that is free. And, they have hot breakfast items for room service, not just a continental breakfast like many lines.

Have a great cruise

Also, you may order the Main Dining Room menu from room service for lunch and dinner during the regular dining room operating hours. No charge.

One thing is really nice is generally there will only one public announcement all day and that if from the Captain. No sales talks for bingo, shows or other topics.

Princess was our first cruise & our fav line--tho we haven't sailed them for 10 years! (no particular reason!)

Have done Celebrity our last 4 cruises & we find it similar; maybe a few less activities, but the service is a small tick better (tho I have heard as of recent, most Princess/Celeb cruisers find it similar these days)

We LOVED the Silhouette dining--ALL the restaurants.

Enjoy!!

I’m elite on Princess and have sailed Celebrity twice. Both are an excellent product. These are a few differences we notice:

-Your name and status will not be on your door.

-The Cabins will not be ready before 1pm when you board

-The balconies are all bigger than the Royal, Regal, Majestic ships

-Entertainment is better on X

-The Ocean View Cafe (buffet) has great variety and easy to navigate layout

-The current bathrooms on the S class ships have excellent storage

-The carpet is not a different color on the port and starboard sides

-Specialty dining is pricey

-The senior officers are out and about and accessible

Enjoy your cruise 😀

A lot of good suggestions have been mentioned. Based on my Princess experiences here are a few more.

1. You can typically board a Celebrity ship earlier than a Princess ship, but your cabin will not be ready until about 1 PM.

2. The Sky Lounge is a great place during the day at sea or at port.

3. The Aft bar (Sunset Bar) is a great place for a cocktail and even an evening nightcap if it is warm.

4. Explore the ship because there are a lot of small places that you can relax.

5. The Solarium is free and it is a nice area with an indoor pool. Sort of a mini Sanctuary.

6. The main theater is much larger with a balcony section. Although you should not arrive at the last minute for the Productiin shows, you do not need to arrive an hour early to get a good seat.

7. Drinks are significantly more expensive on Celebrity. You might want to consider a Drink Package as your perk if you are using BBB pricing.

8. Be on the look out for speciality dining discount offers. Murano’s is our favorite. The Porch or Lawn Grill is a nice extra cost place for a lunch outside.

9. The Aft outside area in the Oceanview (buffet) is one of our favorites for breakfast and lunches.

10. Celebrity cruisers are notorious for the saving of chairs during the day around the pool and in the Solarium. Remove tools if a spot does not look occupied. Celebrity is not really concerned about this practice.

11. If dining in the MDR you can enjoy steak and Escargot any day that you wish.

12. Select Dining is not as crazy and usually not as busy as Princess’s anytime dining. Unlike Princess, Celebrity does not force people into Select Dining.

It will be interesting to hear what you think after your first Celebrity experience. The Silhouette is our favorite ship and I bet you will love it.

What category have you booked and when is your cruise?

A lot of good suggestions have been mentioned. Based on my Princess experiences here are a few more.

1. You can typically board a Celebrity ship earlier than a Princess ship, but your cabin will not be ready until about 1 PM.

2. The Sky Lounge is a great place during the day at sea or at port.

3. The Aft bar (Sunset Bar) is a great place for a cocktail and even an evening nightcap if it is warm.

4. Explore the ship because there are a lot of small places that you can relax.

5. The Solarium is free and it is a nice area with an indoor pool. Sort of a mini Sanctuary.

6. The main theater is much larger with a balcony section. Although you should not arrive at the last minute for the Productiin shows, you do not need to arrive an hour early to get a good seat.

7. Drinks are significantly more expensive on Celebrity. You might want to consider a Drink Package as your perk if you are using BBB pricing.

8. Be on the look out for speciality dining discount offers. Murano’s is our favorite. The Porch or Lawn Grill is a nice extra cost place for a lunch outside.

9. The Aft outside area in the Oceanview (buffet) is one of our favorites for breakfast and lunches.

10. Celebrity cruisers are notorious for the saving of chairs during the day around the pool and in the Solarium. Remove tools if a spot does not look occupied. Celebrity is not really concerned about this practice.

11. If dining in the MDR you can enjoy steak and Escargot any day that you wish.

12. Select Dining is not as crazy and usually not as busy as Princess’s anytime dining. Unlike Princess, Celebrity does not force people into Select Dining.

It will be interesting to hear what you think after your first Celebrity experience. The Silhouette is our favorite ship and I bet you will love it.

What category have you booked and when is your cruise?

Thanks for constructive help gad to hear lost of small places to relax and aft area outside for breakfast sounds good to us as that is what we normally like to do

Booked 2C balcony cabin agent advised deck 6 on what was left so we didn't get sun blocked out by overhang on higher decks ?? - Departing Southampton 23rd. Sept

We have cruised with X several times over several years and our early cruises were far better in certain areas than our more recent cruises. What has stayed the same is the quality of the meals and the service from the staff. We have cruised the M and S class ships and enjoyed our cruises. We have cruised on Connie the most and are due to cruise on Infinity next year for the first time. In comparison we cruised on Princess last year around Japan and although some staff were excellent the food and the service in the main dining room was not so good . We cruised on Azamara Quest to the Middle East in 2016 and that was by far the best overall experience on any ship and we hope to repeat it very soon. Our first cruises were on Carnival in the Caribbean and they got us hooked on cruising. I hope you enjoy your first Celebrity Cruise.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Finding this an interesting thread as I have booked my first Celebrity cruise. Unfortunately, not departing for over a year. (The waiting is torture!) But using the time to learn everything I can about the line, the ship and the ports.